Ford Police Responder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I've seen this posted here, but Ford is releasing a pursuit rated pickup: Ward's

Quote:
The F-150 Police Responder is capable of speeds up to 100 mph. It features a powerful 3.5L EcoBoost V-6 mated to a Ford SelectShift 10-speed automatic transmission, with an all-wheel drive for all-terrain performance.

I wonder what how the transfer case will hold up. AWD so I'm guessing it can move torque around, as needed. I know it's a crew cab, but still: heavy up front. So I'm thinking it may wind up moving torque around--a lot--under police usage. Meaning, I wonder how long the TC will hold up.

Might just be FUD on my part though, I'll admit that.

LEA have been using F150s for years, just not for pursuit. Not sure how the F150 will be for pursuit-ing purposes and will likely replace the SSV for more agencies. Agencies like mine (non-pursuit oriented) will order them but HWP and other will keep to the PI or CP models. Also, don't expect a lot of agencies to spring for them as I don't see cages bring very practical in the rear and I can see the rifle boxes being a bit of a pain with that truckbed. I see Sheriff Dep. who are "insecure" about driving a Taurus SSV to clamor for these vehicles. Then again, I can see my department ordering two because it can double as our Emergency Management, traffic cone distribution vehicle.

Likely the "upgrade" is tires (V+ rated) and brake related, maybe a suspension tweak. I guess this is how they are fixing the Ford Explorer exhaust issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
What does pursuit rated mean? A pickup is not the best for this because it's so light in back.

I heard on the news it was "pursuit rated" to 100mph. I agree-I wouldn't want to drive my Silverado at that speed for too terribly long.

What does pursuit rated mean? A pickup is not the best for this because it's so light in back.

It is normally a sustained speed/handling specification. Often, you get larger and vented discs on the rear, a tweaked suspension (mostly a bigger or added roll bar), a tweaked transmission tune and throttle response, maybe a tranny cooler depending on the model, and specific V+ rated summer tires like the Goodyear Eagles UHP summer tires we have on contract. For ford products, it means you get the AWD over FWD but Chevy used to have FWD "pursuit" vehicles too. Go figure.

For example, the Charger Pursuit and the Charger R/T are extremely similar and the differences are normally a "creature comfort" delete and upgraded alternators ect.

Now, for non-pursuit vehicles like our Ford SSV (Special Service Vehicle), we still get some of those goodies but it is paired with the 3.7 or the 2.3T engine and then with standard all-weather tires. I still got the bigger brakes I think. It depends on how it was packaged. LE do still use these vehicles in "pursuit" at times.

Originally Posted By: supton
I wonder what how the transfer case will hold up. AWD so I'm guessing it can move torque around, as needed. I know it's a crew cab, but still: heavy up front. So I'm thinking it may wind up moving torque around--a lot--under police usage. Meaning, I wonder how long the TC will hold up.

Ford (and GM) does sell pickups with auto 4wd (AKA AWD) for years now and you don't hear of many transfer case failures.

As others have said I don't know I'd want to drive > 80 in a pickup for a long period of time. But it could be helpful for rural departments, the park service, conservation officers, border control, animal control, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08
As others have said I don't know I'd want to drive > 80 in a pickup for a long period of time. But it could be helpful for rural departments, the park service, conservation officers, border control, animal control, etc.

I can see some use of those vehicles for the DOI/NPS/DHS etc, but they have already been using various trucks and they don't really need the "pursuit" layout for their offroad needs. The Explorer and Tahoes will be better for their "pursuits". The biggest issue with the PI Utility (Explorer) in its pursuit garb is the lack of "off-road" ability. The approach angle is terrible, the ground clearance is bad, tires for the "pursuit" make is usable in anything worse that well sorted gravel. I have towed these things out of well kept "gardens" because the officer tried to "cut off" someone on foot by taking it across a lawn and gotten stuck. Those "off-road" uses will keep to regular variants if they are smart. Otherwise they will have a fleet of LE vehicles with torn-up front cladding like mine.

I see it more for those rural departments that "want a truck" and don't want the Sedan to serve papers (self-conscious). It would be a "compromise" that you are not tying up your real HWP-like vehicles for serving but you can have something that does a little "pursuit" when needed.

That being said, my "urban" department would love a truck so it can set out cones, etc. They hate using our little Ford Transit Connect for that. So, I would expect that I am directed to purchase one of these trucks fairly soon.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Border Patrol will take million please.

They already have it. And yes, you can get it with all the skid plating and off-road kit you want. Edit: And I will take the 6-speed on the SSV over the 10 Speed on the Responder.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/speciality-vehicle/f-150xl/

This pursuit F150 is an "on-road" truck for the most part. Sure, it has some cladding but look at the approach angle:

1500496635078.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08

Ford (and GM) does sell pickups with auto 4wd (AKA AWD) for years now and you don't hear of many transfer case failures.

Sure, but how many see WOT on a daily if not hourly basis?

And didn't GM have a problem with a pin in their transfer case in the mid-2000's?

Originally Posted By: CKN

I heard on the news it was "pursuit rated" to 100mph. I agree-I wouldn't want to drive my Silverado at that speed for too terribly long.

Why is that so ? My expe is doing 80 at 2k rpm all day long. 100 is like 2500 rpm i am assuming. True its not a crown vic.
smile.gif

Sure, but how many see WOT on a daily if not hourly basis?

And didn't GM have a problem with a pin in their transfer case in the mid-2000's?

I don't know if it would matter. It's probably either a fluid coupling (torque converter) or an electromagnetic clutch where it's only transferring power for the initial launch and/or if wheel slip. Even WOT to WOT as long as the fluid stays cool I think you'd be fine.

I won't say much except that Ford's Explorer has seen very widespread acceptance among local LE agencies and the Sheriffs department. They might be more comfortable for repeated ingress/egress, so I understand the trend towards larger vehicles.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Originally Posted By: CKN

Why is that so ? My expe is doing 80 at 2k rpm all day long. 100 is like 2500 rpm i am assuming. True its not a crown vic.
smile.gif

Because a pickup at speed isn't all that stable-that's why. In addition you blow a tire on a pickup at that speed (and most cars) and your toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back