Tire Recommendation - '13 Cruze LS - 215/60/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting close to searching for new tires for our Cruze. Leaning towards Cooper CS5s (likely the Ultra Touring in H speed rating) or maybe Pirelli P7s (not sure the additional cost would be worth it, perhaps if the timing on a rebate doesn't work out come Labor Day/Black Friday on the Coopers).

Any other recommendations? Preferably with the same or a similar cost/value ratio.

Car sees 25K a year commuting - 50% highway; 40% county route; 10% city.

Have the P7's on our 2012 Cruze and really like them. I have the Goodyear Assurance on my 2014 Cruze diesel and like them as well. They have 46k on them and still in good shape. I think I can get 55k out of them by keeping them rotated and will more than likely get them again.

If the Pirelli happens to be a LLR tire and the Cooper isn't, the Pirelli's might provide a smudge more fuel economy that could make the overall cost cheaper long term.

I have Michelin Defenders on my Civic, 205/55R16, and really like them. A very smooth and quiet tire. I bought them during a Discount Tire sale and got $160 in rebates. Worked out to be about $450 after rebates. $30 cheaper if your car doesn't have those dumb TPMS sensors in the wheels.

The original Firestone FR710's on my '13 were taken off at exactly 50,000 mi. About the last 1/3 of their life hydroplaning in heavy rain was definitely a problem, but they stayed in balance and handled well in all but very, very wet conditions. I replaced them with a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paws and lost 2.5 MPG. The Uniroyals are holding up alright, only about 50-55% worn at 47,000 mi., but the car requires more steering attention to keep it in a straight line, the handling dynamic through hard cornering is, and always has been, different, and I'm still 2 MPG below what the car is capable of. If I had it to do again, in spite of the majority of Cruzers that hate on the FR710's, I'd buy another set. If I have a little extra money when the time comes I may try a higher end sport-touring tire or a good fuel economy tire, but even though they're being discontinued I've no problem with the 3 sets of FR710's I've had/put on different rigs.

I would look into Continental Pure contact.
I researched tires about 3 months ago, and ended up with them. Very pleased after ~10K mi.

I got the continental truecontacts 215/60/16 on my malibu and they are a great tire. Amazing in the wet and snow and are a 90k tire.

Last edited:
I tried a set of Geolander ATs in 215/60/16 on an 04 C240 Benz. They worked great in the snow, off road and lasted far longer than car tires.

The Cooper CS5 Ultra is a good tire at a great price. Especially if you can wait for Labor Day (about 6 weeks away). So if your tires aren't completely bald or cracked or showing metal or anything like that, and you can wait the 6 weeks, then wait
smile.gif

Will you be using dedicated winter tires? If not, how important is snow traction?

In terms of value/cost ratio, basically nothing beats DTD's holiday promos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back