Yet another overfill question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Backstory: Normally, I do my own oil changes. I never have any reason to contemplate damage caused by overfill because I know how much goes into my cars. However, today I needed to take it to my buddy at the dealership who did the oil change for free (I brought his tech the oil and filter) because we are getting ready to go on vacation tomorrow and I don't have the time or desire to break out the ramps and do an oil change in 100 degree heat.

My 2017 Elantra 2.0L takes 4.23 quarts of oil with drain and filter change. I supplied the tech 5 quarts and a filter for the job. Well, he dumped in all 5 quarts, overfilling by 3/4 quarts. I did a search on here for overfill and I feel like this is right in the middle of "safe to run" and "too much". It seems like a 1/2 quart is just fine and a full quart is too much. My question is, do you think this extra 3/4 quarts do any damage? I didn't catch it until I got home when I thought it was weird that I didn't get my remaining quart back.

You could just unscrew the oil filter and drain it, then screw it back.I guess there would be no sealing problem. If you worry about sealing just screw a new oil filter. Should get about half a quart out of the engine.
Alternatively just crack the drain bolt open and let some go then screw again.
Messy, but I would do it.
I would probably go with the second option.

There are extractor pumps at parts stores or Harbor Freight for $10-15 with a tube you put down the dipstick tube.

I'd work at getting the level correct. Believe the spec.

A half quart over for a small sump like that would be my limit. There were three suggestions for getting the excess oil out, pick one you'd be comfortable doing and get some of the oil out. I have an extractor, so that's what I'd do. I have also removed and dumped filters and reused them w/o issue, but in your case I think you'd have to drain it, run the engine, and drain it again. With a big trip looming, I'd probably pass on that approach.

I don't have an extractor, but the dealership is less than 10 miles away, so I'll stop in and get it drained. Thanks for the advice!

On the dipstick is it 1/2" over the top of more then 1"?

Usually the worst that can happen is the oil is beat into a foam and the
oil pressure light turns on, then some oil needs to be drained.

Or the oil spits out into the breather or into the air intake via
crankcase ventalation lines, then drain some oil.

But you don't report an oil light, so you may be fine.

How far have you driven since the oil change?

Originally Posted By: JustN89
I don't have an extractor, but the dealership is less than 10 miles away, so I'll stop in and get it drained. Thanks for the advice!

Smart move. Then check the level yourself to confirm they got it right.

Sounds like someone needs additional training. Ask your buddy what the techs qualifications are. Dumping all 5 quarts in (if true) is completely ridiculous.

Last edited:
Oil change was just this morning, so right at 10 miles on it. It will be roughly 20 miles total by the time I can get it back to the dealership.

Yeah, I agree. Dumping all 5 in is ridiculous. I'd say something about it, but I used to work there and I'm good friends with a lot of those folks. It's also not a Hyundai dealership, however, it's not hard to look up what the manual calls for.

I don't know how far above the dipstick it is, I'd say probably a 1/3 of an inch. However, I know exactly how much is in it since I gave them 5 quarts and he said he put all 5 in.

Last edited:
I would have given him 4qts and topped it off - They never seem to get this right. I just checked the oil level on my wife's Subaru this past Sunday - that just had a 150 dollar oil change at the Subaru dealer - and it's about 1+1/2 inches above the full mark COLD! ;(

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I would have given him 4qts and topped it off - They never seem to get this right. I just checked the oil level on my wife's Subaru this past Sunday - that just had a 150 dollar oil change at the Subaru dealer - and it's about 1+1/2 inches above the full mark COLD! ;(

That's actually a really good idea, and I'll have to remember to do that next time (should there have to be a next time - I remember why I like to do these things myself).

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I - that just had a 150 dollar oil change at the Subaru dealer - and it's about 1+1/2 inches above the full mark COLD! ;(

I had to tell our dealer not to overfill ours the couple times they changed the oil. They would have it about a 1/4" high on dip stick. If my car was overfilled by an inch and half I'd be back and they would be making it right. The last time they changed the oil they left the fill cap loose-off. What a mess that made 😡.

When I take the Buick in I always dump a half quart out of the jug to make it faster for him and in case my buddy isn't there I don't have to worry about the new guy over filling.

I think your smart getting some drained out since you will be on vacation.

Yeah I'd be uncomfortable with a .75 qt overfill, especially on a road trip where there's a risk of oil aeration.

I accidently overfilled my wifes 2014 Elantra. We tried to pump it out of the dipstick and the oil filter cap with an oil pump. Can't be done. I had to get back on the ramps remove the huge underbody cover again. Pulled drain plug and quickly put back in again as I let out that quart. What a pain in the butt. I'll never do that again.

The dealer overfilled my sister-in laws Nissan. The air filter was coated with nasty oil an the engine compartment was a mess on a new car.

For sure don't run over-filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back