First chainsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased an Echo CS-490 chainsaw and can find not one word about break-in throughout the Instruction Manual.

I've got the Echo gas/oil mix and the Echo chain and bar oil. If no one has any specific knowledge about the break-in process I'm going to run a tank full of fuel at various speeds with no cutting and a tank of fuel with some very light cutting while being careful to vary the speed and gradually increase the work load.

Also, I find that tension adjustment instructions are vague. I'm used to seeing something like, always have a half inch gap. Any ideas?

I purchased the chainsaw directly from Home Depot because they gave me $75 off if I accepted an HD credit card which I'll pay off as soon as the card arrives in the mail.

You're overthinking the break in process. Just run it, that little two stroke won't care how it's run. It really doesn't need to be broken in, and if anything it's bad for a saw engine to be run with no load, you risk overrevving. Fill it up with gas/oil and b&c oil and get cutting.

Also, If the carb's adjustable, make sure it's tuned properly and not running too lean, otherwise your saw will last about an hour. Ask me how I know lol.

IMO half an inch gap is waaay too much. I always set my saw chain tight enough so that when I pull the chain away from the bar there's a gap about the thickness of a dime, so very small.

A half inch gap, you'll probably be tossing the chain off every few minutes.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention in my last post:

BE SAFE!

If you don't have safety equipment (eye, ear hand and foot protection and even chaps) get some now!

Read the manual on cutting instructions and DO NOT CUT WITH THE KICKBACK ZONE!!!!

Consider a chainsaw safety course if there's one available in your area.

Engine break in is let the engine run a bit then start cutting.That is break in. Chain adjusting is not too tight and as the chain warms up it will get looser you cut so you will learn that qiuck. Be careful and safe. Chainsaws are easy but can bit you real quick if you let them. Also learn how to sharpen the chain a sharp chain in very important.

I watched YouTube videos on how people break in New Chainsaws and I feel they are just wasteing thier time.
Just run it. Seriously, I have run all my two stroke small engines in hard without issues. My last weed eater I had for 23 years. My wife bought me a new Echo and I run it in the same.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Oh yeah, forgot to mention in my last post:

BE SAFE!

If you don't have safety equipment (eye, ear hand and foot protection and even chaps) get some now!

Read the manual on cutting instructions and DO NOT CUT WITH THE KICKBACK ZONE!!!!

Consider a chainsaw safety course if there's one available in your area.

THIS ^^^

Most accidents seem to happen when a person is just going to make a quick cut with the saw and they fail to put on all of their safety equipment.

There are no minor injuries with a chainsaw.

I have the Echo chaps and gloves, face mask with safety glasses and ear muffs.

When I was a freshman in college I worked the summer clearing trees with a chainsaw that were damaged by a forest fire. There were specific instructions about adjusting the chain and it was much more involved than this Echo. Also, the Stihl chainsaw was very heavy and powerful. I think this Echo is going to work just fine.

I bought an Echo CS-450 just over a year ago. Great saw. If you use the Echo Powerblend oil, Echo will extend your warranty to 5 years. At least they were offering the extended warranty when I bought mine.

No break in needed, but chances are it will need the carb adjusted. Mine would stall if you nailed the throttle. Too lean.

+1 on the break-in comments. Just cut with it, no need for special break-in.

Also, make safety a habit. It sounds silly, but if you always do things in a safe manner, it will become second nature and you won't get hurt. Too many horror stories from someone just doing something because it was quicker without safety gear.

Also, how often will you be using it? If you won't be using it often, I highly recommend using the pre-mix tru-fuel ethanol free gas. The oil/fuel mix is spot on, and you never have to worry about ethanol gas problems. I recommend it to a lot of my customers who rarely use their 2 stroke equipment. The few bucks more you spend on the tru-fuel is worth not having the aggravation of carb problems.

Last edited:
Just monitor chain run in and keep it where the others said for how tight.

Learn to hand file. It takes a few minutes and this will help with kickback. The locals want 8-12 bucks to sharpen a chain. Sure.... I think I spent like 40 bucks and got a stump vise (mounted on a sturdy wood block), a proper round file, Husqvarna file guide (stupid easy to use) and a flat file with a depth gauge. I touch up the chain every few tanks or so and my little 445 throws some decent chips.

Stay safe and have some fun!

I'm good with all the safety stuff, chaps and all. When I was in college working to clear forest fire damaged trees I had a square shank nail that was embedded and completely covered come flying back and hit my face shield. The face shield exploded into several pieces and it knocked my hard hat back. My hard hat safety glasses made a mark across my forehead and I was not injured other than having quite a scare. This was a much bigger, more powerful chainsaw but they are all dangerous. The safety gear saved my eyes, my face, and my life. The face shield and safety glasses along with that old fashioned nail were used in a display at the Ranger station where people take the safety course. If you don't have time to get suited up, you should not use the chainsaw. It's pretty simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back