high quality tire inflator recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all:

I would like to get a nice tire inflator to avoid having to run down to gas stations or tire stores every time I need to add some air to my car tires. I was looking on Amazon but the majority seem cheaply made - some manufacturers don't even have websites! Ideally I would like to find a heavy duty, made in USA unit that will last, not blow fuses like many report on Amazon, and come with an additional AC adapter or at least battery adapter so I don't even have to worry about using my 12V accessory and potentially blowing fuses. The majority on Amazon are around the $40-50 USD mark but it would seem I should be able to find something to fits my requirements for $100 or so. One reviewer commented how he even plans to throw his away when it fails rather than send in for repair! Google searches of "heavy duty made in USA tire inflators" have turned up zilch.

I have had two of these

https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-100-psi-high-volume-air-compressor-69284.html

I did have to change the end so it clips onto the battery. I seem to be able to get 2 years of pretty constant use out of them. Every weekend I have used one or the other to inflate my oversized jeep tires, then someone else ends up borrowing it to inflate their tires too.

For the occasional flat, it would be perfect.

Some time ago, Michelen had some quite robust ones.i happen to own one for 12 years. Not used much and the digital dial-cut off pressure sensor screen went kaboom when i inflated a 7 bar rated bicycle tire but the compressor still works fine after all those years

A Harbor freight compressor that is 110 volts can also be used . They are under $200.00

I've never been a fan of those tiny portable "plug in to your car's power point" type of inflators.. so I went a different route.

I already had a decent upright air compressor in my garage, so I just went to Harbor Freight and bought one of these:

29val1.jpg

If memory serves, it was only about $25 on sale.

I fill it up on my compressor at home, to about 95-100 PSI, and leave it in my trunk. I set up some magnets on the trunk liner and side, so the tank doesn't move when I'm driving.. just stays nice and snug in place until I need it, then a nice tug on it separates it from the magnets. 95PSI will easily pump up many low tires, and at least two flats.. and if it ever gets low, I just fill it back up at home. Never have to worry about whether my fuses will blow.

Although I've upgraded to a much larger compressor I've had my Harbor Freight for 6 or 7 years running very very hard and now I've actually turned it up to a higher output, I also have it running to another tank the same size about 30 gallons feeding that tank, the reason I did that is because the Harbor Freight only has a quarter inch air Outlet and when you pull the trigger on a large gun or tool you could hear the air rushing back into the line. And when I say a big gun like a Matco 1/2 inch impact, it is a monster now with the other tank however I barely use it because I bought a service truck compressor and I Crank It Up every time I need air to keep the motor in good condition

Another vote for Viair. They've been around for many years and are the compressor of choice for serious off-roaders.

I'm probably not going to make many friends around here, but Harbor Freight gives me a headache.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I use a bicycle pump... though it's a bit of a workout.

+1

Is there no small footprint *good quality* reasonably priced 110V tire pump?

Last edited:
Just circling back to thank all for the great ideas. There were certainly some clever options offered here! Since posting and getting this great input, I checked out Viair and they seem to offer some of the better options in a 12V inflator compressor and had great customer support with quick replies to any questions. Apparently, this is all they make which is a good sign. I still wish they had a 120VAC version but they don't. I'm going to have to check the 12VDC amperage on my 95 Maxima if I get one or just use the battery connection. I also like the bike pump idea. I have a good one with both shrader and presta options. I mean if I ever get a flat, I'm not going to do a repair where I would really need an inflator compressor but just need to "air-up" once it while.

I'm with Kestas. I've been using this for years. If I ever have to plug a leaker it's a REAL workout. I wouldn't go this route if I had a truck or SUV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back