Pennzoil Ultra & Dexos

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Pennzoil platinum 5w-30 is dexos approved 2. Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w-30 is not Dexos approved. Do I have this correct ? I wanted to try ultra but I'm under warranty. Thanks

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
1. Pennzoil platinum 5w-30 is dexos approved 2. Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w-30 is not Dexos approved. Do I have this correct ? I wanted to try ultra but I'm under warranty. Thanks

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand1/

Says here it is

Yes, be that as it may.

The site also states that unless it states dexos on the bottle along with the relevant Approval number then it's not actually deemed to be dexos approved oil.
We seemingly have the same stuff on the shelves here in OZ only it's branded Shell.
Nowhere on the bottles it states dexos and or the Approval number.
I think one variant as it appears on the list in our market even states that it's acea A3/B4 so it can't possibly be dexos 1.

From my perspective there is a disconnect somewhere.
I think the OP's assumption is somewhat correct.

As it states on the website.
Unless it's labelled as dexos and also states the relevant Approval number then it's not really a dexos approved oil.

I personally just stick with Mobil 1 for peace of mind.

It would seem odd that Pennzoil platinum would be and the Ultra not spec'ed for Dexos.

Your right....there is a disconnect somewhere.

Perhaps if one really cares enough an email or phone call would be in order to the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Maybe Pennzoil doesn't want to pay the vig to get both products licensed, so they licensed the product with more sales, Platinum. My guess would be both meet the spec. I'd reach out to Pennzoil if the issue concerned me enough.

Having said that the older 5 qt. jugs of PU say Dexos on the label.

I think it meets Dexos 1 but it's not labeled as such because of Gen 2 being mandatory soon. With the additional calcium PUP has over PP I would be willing to bet PUP doesn't meet Gen 2 Dexos1 so they just removed it all together since any oil advertising Dexos1 has to be gen 2 approved by I think it's September. Calcium leads to Low Speed Pre Ignition and I bet PUP just has too much to prevent without major changes. So they dropped dexos1 from the bottles since it doesn't sell like PP does. The latest 5w20 PUP I bought for my Durango didn't have any dexos1 approvals either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss
With the additional calcium PUP has over PP I would be willing to bet PUP doesn't meet Gen 2 Dexos1

PUP has the identical amount of calcium as PP. PUP does have more boron than PP though, which is the only difference that shows up on a VOA from PUP to PP.

When dexos1 first came out, PUP was not amongst the group, but PP got it right away. PUP currently does meet dexos1 Gen1. .... Its happening again, PUP being late to the dexos1 Gen2 party this time around. What are they thinking?

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
With the additional calcium PUP has over PP I would be willing to bet PUP doesn't meet Gen 2 Dexos1

PUP has the identical amount of calcium as PP. PUP does have more boron than PP though, which is the only difference that shows up on a VOA from PUP to PP.

When dexos1 first came out, PUP was not amongst the group, but PP got it right away. PUP currently does meet dexos1 Gen1. .... Its happening again, PUP being late to the dexos1 Gen2 party this time around. What are they thinking?

Maybe SOPUS was having trouble getting ahold of enough PUP to perform the dexos testing?

;^)

^^^^ Lol ^^^^. I guess that settles it then. How can one of the Worlds top engine oil suppliers have such a lame approach?

Take a look at the dexos1 Gen 2 list. All the big three are doing the same thing. M1 EP does not have Gen 2 licensing, nor does Castrol gold bottle. Just like when dexos1 first came out, the bread and butter synthetics went on the list first along with the blends that shops might use, and then the other, higher end products (i.e. gold bottle Edge, M1 EP, PU) went on after. Remember that just a few weeks ago, there were like only ten oils on the Gen 2 list.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Take a look at the dexos1 Gen 2 list. All the big three are doing the same thing. M1 EP does not have Gen 2 licensing, nor does Castrol gold bottle. Just like when dexos1 first came out, the bread and butter synthetics went on the list first along with the blends that shops might use, and then the other, higher end products (i.e. gold bottle Edge, M1 EP, PU) went on after. Remember that just a few weeks ago, there were like only ten oils on the Gen 2 list.
I see your point. I was also referring to the labeling, marketing and distribution. Seems very Bush league for such a large Company.

This is just a transitional period. All the oils that will have the new dexos certification will get it. This is most likely the best way to accomplish that without stopping or slowing production.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
I see your point. I was also referring to the labeling, marketing and distribution. Seems very Bush league for such a large Company.

Ahh, okay, well, that's another matter, too. Unfortunately, and as I've pointed out in other threads, we have strange things happen during a product rollout or a specification change/update. With respect to the distribution, yes, it can be a pain in the behind. It's even worse up here, with their being two tiers of Shell distributors, one tier being full line and the other tier only able to sell Shell products (i.e. Rotella and Formula Shell).

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Maybe SOPUS was having trouble getting ahold of enough PUP to perform the dexos testing?

;^)

LOL.... the bottle change is a head scratcher. Hint to marketing.... you don't make your top-tier product look like your bottom tier product.

If it works to make people read labels more successfully, I agree with the sentiment. But, if that is the idea, I doubt it will work.
smile.gif

There is a difference between an oil meeting the manufacturer's required specification, and an oil being approved by the manufacturer.

Meeting the manufacturer's specification requires a certain content of detergents, dispersants, friction modifiers, etc., as well as the API starburst and donut symbols.

Getting a manufacturer's approval requires extensive testing by an independent lab to ensure that the oil performs adequately for the manufacturer's application (engine). And it costs a lot of money just for a picture on the bottle, but usually it results in increased sales. It's just not worth the cost for an oil manufacturer to pay for testing of each and every one of it's various weights and specialty applications. Imagine how many combinations are possible from: 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 0w40, 10w60, etc. multiplied by: fully synthetic, synthetic blend, 100% synthetic, high mileage synthetic, etc etc. Each variety must be tested separately in order to get approval.

Originally Posted By: DGXR
There is a difference between an oil meeting the manufacturer's required specification, and an oil being approved by the manufacturer.

Meeting the manufacturer's specification requires a certain content of detergents, dispersants, friction modifiers, etc., as well as the API starburst and donut symbols.

Getting a manufacturer's approval requires extensive testing by an independent lab to ensure that the oil performs adequately for the manufacturer's application (engine). And it costs a lot of money just for a picture on the bottle, but usually it results in increased sales. It's just not worth the cost for an oil manufacturer to pay for testing of each and every one of it's various weights and specialty applications. Imagine how many combinations are possible from: 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 0w40, 10w60, etc. multiplied by: fully synthetic, synthetic blend, 100% synthetic, high mileage synthetic, etc etc. Each variety must be tested separately in order to get approval.

I agree. It would be nice if GM would just require meeting a given performance level for warranty enforcement and be done with it. This Dexos Thing is just another spin at forcing consumers to buy only GM factory parts. This from a company that lost 2/3 of its sales in 40 years. GM once enjoyed a 60% Domestic market share. I believe that number is now under 20%. GM literally wrote the book on how to fail in business without even trying.

"I agree. It would be nice if GM would just require meeting a given performance level for warranty enforcement and be done with it. This Dexos Thing is just another spin at forcing consumers to buy only GM factory parts. This from a company that lost 2/3 of its sales in 40 years. GM once enjoyed a 60% Domestic market share. I believe that number is now under 20%. GM literally wrote the book on how to fail in business without even trying. "

GovMo has essentially re-invented the wheel here. By forcing oil companies to pay for the privilege of putting the dexos symbol on their jugs and bottles, they created another income stream albeit a small one relatively.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back