PH3980 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roughly 3k with Delo 15w30 on my '97 Blazer with the 4.3. I replaced my LIM gaskets last week, drove the truck a bit and changed the oil first thing.

As you can see in the last photo, some crud made it into the engine despite of me placing a bed of towels down into the engine and using a shop vac during gasket removal and surface prep. I'm going to do some pretty severe OCI's until that crude goes away. I'm using an AC Delco PF52 and some Certified 10w30 and will probably change it sometime this week because I'm anal retentive like that.

Last edited:
Here's an upside down photo (sorry folks, uploaded from phone.) of under the valve cover. I bought the kit that came with all the replacement gaskets as well. No sludge thankfully, but lots of heavy varnish. The truck was neglected by the PO. 2 year old oil, did a lot of sitting, bad LIM gaskets and a bad/ wrong thermostat.

Last edited:
Oil-wise, the valvetrain looks great so suspect the rest of the engine does also.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I'm going to do some pretty severe OCI's until that crude goes away.

No need.

I'm willing to bet you've already caught 99+% of it already

The truck was neglected by the PO.

2 year old oil, did a lot of sitting,

2 year old oil didn't cause any harm.

The corrosion in that coolant passage is disconcerting.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
The truck was neglected by the PO.

2 year old oil, did a lot of sitting,

2 year old oil didn't cause any harm.

The corrosion in that coolant passage is disconcerting.

I agree. There was a mass of crud in these areas on both sides of the engine. The intake had a bit of pitting too.

My father left me his Blazer a 2000 model. Garage queen.
Well maintained but a gas hog.... I guess they are all that way. I take good care of it because he
loved it. First new car he ever bought for himself.

All that varnish reminded me of the 80s and early 90s when I used Castrol oil and varnish was included in every bottle back then.

I've never purchased Castrol since..... not even their synthetics. When I see an issue with any products (oil or even handgun bullets for example), I avoid repurchases like the plague.... for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back