Oil Bottle Caps Leak. Reliably

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving my stuff at the moment and had a messy reminder of this with a nearly full litre bottle of Mobil 4T motorcyle oil, which fell over, but I think its a general deficiency.

Its odd because drinking water bottles, surely at least as disposable, are pretty reliable, and fizzy drinks bottles (which have been pressure tested) are very reliable. How come oil companies can't do as well?

Decanting is a solution, of course, but then you have to clean and dry the bottles in advance, and label them. I have quite a bit of "unknown" chain lube/rustproofing oil as a result of thinking I wouldn't forget what THIS stuff was.

Wow, It's usually not a problem?
If the cap is on proper.

Well, since I have a ranch and lots of different equipment....

"mystery oil" either becomes some type of hydraulic/power steering fluid, or bar/chain oil.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Wow, It's usually not a problem?
If the cap is on proper.

THINK I disagree. This top was tight but it still leaked, and I THINK that's very common, though i havn't done an experimental survey.

What I find happens is that if a bottle of oil is opened and used,a small amount gets into the cap threads and over time it seeps down making a "mock leak".

Had your motorcycle oil not fell over, it probably doesn't leak.

I've never had a bottle leak, since plastic was used decades ago. I also never dropped a bottle to test for leaks either.

Don;t drop anymore and your nasty reminder likely ends on a dry note.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Had your motorcycle oil not fell over, it probably doesn't leak.

I've never had a bottle leak, since plastic was used decades ago. I also never dropped a bottle to test for leaks either.

Don;t drop anymore and your nasty reminder likely ends on a dry note.

Bottles do fall over.

Most bottles can be stored horizontally, but I doubt this'd be a good idea with oil bottles, because I think they are a poor design, generally relying on the internal foil seal, which isn't there once the bottled has been opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back