The Subie wagon we can't have in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who needs that? We're getting this -

http://www.buick.com/regal-tourx-mid-size-luxury-wagon/#/index

2018-Buick-Regal-TourX-front-three-quarter.jpg

Nice ride. Which trim level are you going to choose? Is this a German Opal with an Ecotec 2.0 engine? If so it looks like an exciting package especially if the AWD really works in the snow.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Nice ride. Which trim level are you going to choose? Is this a German Opal with an Ecotec 2.0 engine? If so it looks like an exciting package especially if the AWD really works in the snow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Regal#Regal_TourX

"Similar to the previous generation, it will be related to the Opel and Vauxhall Insignia sold in Europe, and like the previous generation the vehicles will be produced in Germany."

"...but will only come in all-wheel drive, along with a LTG turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder cranking out an estimated 250 hp (186 kW) and 295 lb·ft (400 N·m) mated with an eight-speed automatic transmission"

The 2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon manual my wife has with 250hp WRX motor was a sales flop. It sold so slowly Subaru gave up on Legacy wagon and al wagons were massively popular Outback.

Wagons have never sold well in the U.S. & Canada since Minivans got popular in the 80's.
The auto makers say the profits are too small to offer some of the vehicles in North America that are sold in Europe.
The average Acura dealer only sold one TSX Wagon on average every 6 weeks and 5 days when it was made.

I'd sure take a look at that Regal wagon if I happened to be shopping for a vehicle right now, but it's not comparable to the Levorg.
The latter is based on the Impreza and is more or less a turbo Crosstrek or a WRX wagon. Regal will probably be 400 lbs or more heavier.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hpb
Didn't know Levorg came with a 1.6 in other markets...we get ours with the 2.0 WRX engine
smile.gif

Looks like the Japanese market 2.0l Levorg is actually tuned up to nearly 300 HP and lb-ft whereas the WRX is about 270 for both...which still beats my FXT with basically the same engine at only 250 HP. :^(
Do you get the 300 HP version in NZ?
Think the big difference between the US WRX and FXT engines is that they play a few hardware tricks in the former to extend the peak torque out to higher RPM, hence the higher WRX HP with the same reported max torque as the FXT...obviously, the Levorg engine has even more tricks in it with the higher HP and torque.

Last edited:
I would buy the Subaru any day over anything made by GM's red headed stepchild division. This is their version of the Venza, in typical bitog fashion when Toyota made it people said it was ugly but now GM stuck lipstick on a pig (anything Opel) and calls it a Buick its great.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: hpb
Didn't know Levorg came with a 1.6 in other markets...we get ours with the 2.0 WRX engine
smile.gif

Looks like the Japanese market 2.0l Levorg is actually tuned up to nearly 300 HP and lb-ft whereas the WRX is about 270 for both...which still beats my FXT with basically the same engine at only 250 HP. :^(
Do you get the 300 HP version in NZ?
Think the big difference between the US WRX and FXT engines is that they play a few hardware tricks in the former to extend the peak torque out to higher RPM, hence the higher WRX HP with the same reported max torque as the FXT...obviously, the Levorg engine has even more tricks in it with the higher HP and torque.

Oops, just noticed the poster I was replying to is in Australia and not NZ...my bad and sincere apologies!

No problem, I'm about as close to NZ as one can get, without actually being there!

The Oz spec WRX and Levorg produce 197 kilowatts, which converts to around 265 horsepower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back