What oil for CR-V 2009? help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Bob is the oil guy forum,

I am here today because I am needing a little advice and pointing in the right direction of what oil to buy for my New to me SUV. I understand in most situations I could normally go to the garage and ask them guys but I am living out in Cambodia at the minute and they will tell me anything to make a sale.

I have a 2009 Honda CR-V EX and she is running like a dream and I plan on keeping this way. Every month I am going to be changing the oil, checking the breaks, water etc all myself. So what oil do I need or what is best for my CR-V?

Some specs:
Make: Honda
Model: CR-V EX
Year:2009
Mileage: 54,439
Engine Cap: 2.4L / 4cyl
Doors: 5

If there is any other information you guys need please just comment below and I will be sure to get back to you all ASAP.

Thanks
honda.png

Welcome to the forum. Clearly, you care about your car (as do most of us on here), but a monthly oil change (unless you drive 50,000 miles a year plus) is overkill. I'd recommend a quality 5w30 (really, nearly all oil is) changed as indicated by your Maintenence Minder. For added peace of mind, you could use a synthetic oil (Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum are two good ones), but there's no need. However, you are wise to check your fluids etc. often.

Last edited:
Are API rated oils available in Cambodia?

I did a google search for "motor oil in cambodia" and came up with Britonoil, Total, Castrol, and Amsoil.

Probably best to avoid Sinopec oil?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Probably best to avoid Sinopec oil?

...... simply because it's a China made oil ?

I use Mobil 1 0w20 in both a CRV and an Element.

The CRV is a fantastic vehicle and very low maintenance...but if you use a quality motor oil then no need to change it every month.

For the transmission and differential the best fluids are Honda brand.

Last edited:
Unless you're putting down A LOT of miles, you shouldn't need to change the oil monthly. I would use 0W20, I use it in my 2007 Element with a similar engine. Like Arctic Driver mentioned, if it is 4WD, make sure to change out the rear diff fluid with Honda Dual Pump II as well.

We can make suggestions for oil, but it's probably more a matter of what's available to you locally. I'd look for a known brand with a sealed bottle camp (ideally with a foil seal, and if possible an API starburst symbol (although, I don't know how common that is outside of the USA)).

Upon further review, since this thread started life in the passenger-diesel sub-forum perhaps the CR-V in question is equipped with the 2.2 L i-CTDI diesel engine?

OP, please clarify, notably the engine that is installed; also something about intended usage will enable further comments.
Kevin

Last edited:
I live in Lincoln Ne and have a 2002 CRV and just use what the manual calls for which is 5w20, Bought it used with about 40K on it and it had service records from Honda with regular Honda bulk 5w20 oil.Now has 150K on it with some pretty good oil seepage but no real leaks, maybe have to add half a quart between changes which I can live with. Since I do the bulk of my own maintenance I use the cheapest 5w20 I can find, usually NAPA brand or sometimes Travelers brand which is from TSC farm stores here in Lincoln.I will buy a case when they have their sales. Might be able to find bit a cheaper oil at Wall mart with their House brand but I loath going to Walmarts. I drive the CRV hard at 75 mph 4 days per week in summer heat and winter cold with OCI of about 5K to 6K IMO any regular 5w20 would do very well. Honda CRVs are quite reliable with even minimum maintenance. I have never been to Cambodia, but I would think that since many oil companies have a world wide presence that major brands like Mobil, Shell, or Exon would be available in most countries including Cambodia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back