Can you press bushings from aluminum control arm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother's 2009 Cobalt SS has a really terrible lower right control arm bushing that needs replacing ASAP. Will he need to replace the entire control arm or can the bad bushing be pressed out? His Cobalt has the FE5 sport/performance suspension with aluminum control arms. I know this isn't a problem with steel parts but will the aluminum take to having the bushing pressed out without destroying it?

MY shade tree hack for taking out a bushing, is to cut out the center with a jig saw and to finish the job with a hacksaw and a punch. Press in the new one with a vise.

If you got to go through all the trouble of taking the control arm out you might as well replace the control arm. That's what we do at work on cobalt's

The UCAs on my BMW would wear out the bushing 3X faster than the balljoint. Opposite on the lowers the ball wore out before the bushings.

Rockauto has new control arm for sport suspension complete for $79. That is what I would do. Your time is well worth that. (They do have just the bushing to for under $10)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back