Fully Synthetic Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have been here a long time and have "always" used Amsoil engine oil. I have no hidden agenda and the only flame I like is the one under my filet mignon and hamburgers.

I just bought a bunch of the Havoline Pro DS that was on sale for $10 for a 5 qt jug. It says "fully synthetic" on the label. What exactly does that mean?

I know it is not Amsoil or Redline and it is not synthetic blend.

Is the the term "full synthetic" [censored]?

Last edited:
To my knowledge Amsoil is not fully PAO? It's also my understanding that a full synthetic can have a blend of base stocks.

Other than Amsoil, Redline and other boutique oils, here is the level of OTC base oils from greater to lesser:

GroupIII or GroupIII+

PAO

AN and/or esters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Other than Amsoil, Redline and other boutique oils, here is the level of OTC base oils from greater to lesser:

GroupIII or GroupIII+

PAO

AN and/or esters.

I've been out in the heat a little much this week so please humor me. What does the term "full synthetic" mean? Am i to assume that anything GroupIII or greater can be called a full synthetic?

Some oils say "100% synthetic". I am assuming "full" and "100%" are not synonymous.

Last edited:
At that price, it's pretty good for a synthetic although it's not one of the major brands. The only other time you see something that low is during the Autozone clearance which is once a year. You should be fine running it for 10k. I think some of the other fancy oils might be good for 15-20k but I think most people are afraid of running an oil that long. On my Mercedes I like to change it at 8-9k, maybe 10k max, some people even do 5k oil changes even though the original spec was 13k.

So to try and answer my question, Full synthetics are as close to Amsoil and Redline as you can get without being 100% synthetic? A full synthetic is between a synthetic blend and a PAO or ester based synthetic?

Can I ask why you care? The performance of an oil should mean much more than the processes done on the base stock used to make the oil. And in the case of oils marketed as full synthetic, they do outperform classic conventional oil. I don't really put much effort into looking up the PAO % in the oil I use. I use a quality full synthetic from a large blender (includes store brand oil made by big name blenders) and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: VetteElite
Can I ask why you care? The performance of an oil should mean much more than the processes done on the base stock used to make the oil. And in the case of oils marketed as full synthetic, they do outperform classic conventional oil. I don't really put much effort into looking up the PAO % in the oil I use. I use a quality full synthetic from a large blender (includes store brand oil made by big name blenders) and call it a day.

Sure you can ask. I want an answer to my question. What I don't care about is a response like yours. I don't like being lectured about what I already know, duh...

Last edited:
Quote:

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
But pastor Gebo [censored]?, I answered your question above:

Originally Posted By: Mola
Other than Amsoil, Redline and other boutique oils, here is the level of [Full Synthetic] OTC base oils from greater to lesser:

GroupIII or GroupIII+

PAO

AN and/or esters.

Since GroupIII oils have been hyped and marketed by as "Synthetics" that is what you now get in OTC oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gebo

Sure you can ask. I want an answer to my question. What I don't care about is a response like yours. I don't like being lectured about what I already know, duh...

With a response like that, I doubt you will get any more help from anyone.

I'm sorry you are so upset about something to do with motor oil.

Usually you get that kind of response when someone does not fully understand the question nor the answers given.

So to try and answer my question, Full synthetics are as close to Amsoil and Redline as you can get without being 100% synthetic? A full synthetic is between a synthetic blend and a PAO or ester based synthetic?

No, the terms "full synthetic" and "100% synthetic" are synonymous. That's not the issue. The argument comes in with the definition for the word "synthetic", not "full" or "100%". Some people do not believe that severely hydrocracked synthetics are "synthetic".

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
But pastor Gebo [censored]?, I answered your question above:

Originally Posted By: Mola
Other than Amsoil, Redline and other boutique oils, here is the level of [Full Synthetic] OTC base oils from greater to lesser:

GroupIII or GroupIII+

PAO

AN and/or esters.

Since GroupIII oils have been hyped and marketed by as "Synthetics" that is what you now get in OTC oils.

But I didn't understand it at the time. I guess my week of vacation turned my brain into a semi solid jello. LOL

Guys, I ain't the slightest bit upset. I apologize to you. You have answered my question to my satisfaction. All I wanted to know was what the term really meant

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Usually you get that kind of response when someone does not fully understand the question nor the answers given.

Amen!

Originally Posted By: kschachn

No, the terms "full synthetic" and "100% synthetic" are synonymous. That's not the issue. The argument comes in with the definition for the word "synthetic", not "full" or "100%". Some people do not believe that severely hydrocracked synthetics are "synthetic".

Thank you! Now I "fully 100%" understand Molakule's response. You are THE man!
smile.gif

If you were close I'd give you a big kiss. On the cheek. Naw, on 2nd thought, just a big hug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back