I put rain x in the coolant reservoir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. I got complacent and started filling the coolant reservoir with rain x windshield cleaner. In my defense they both have a yellow cap. Anyway I used my vacuum pump to get most of the contaminated coolant from the reservoir and then flushed the tank out till the water was clear. I only poured maybe 16 ounce in the tank before I realized what I was doing. It's in my dodge ram Cummins 5.9. Just consulting you guys before I waste money flushing my entire system to satisfy my OCD nature. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: monster1
I used my vacuum pump to get most of the contaminated coolant from the reservoir and then flushed the tank out till the water was clear.

You are good to go!

No experience (yet) with this. The main ingredient in RainX is water , a little soap an something slippery for breaking surface tension. Almost like water pump lube and cleaner. I doubt RainX will cause any harm.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: monster1
I put rain x in the coolant reservoir (SMFH)

What's SMFH ?

Shaking My Foodang Head.

I don't see how any of the stuff could get out of the reservoir and into the radiator assuming you weren't burping an air bubble out of the radiator. You should be good to go!

Do not be too hard on yourself. Happens more than you think and happens a lot with Ford owners that have the combo coolant and washer fluid one piece tanks.

40189215_614.jpg

is your location california or canada?

IF california you are fine.

If canada and its the 35% alcohol blend stuff.... you are still fine.

Assuming you didn't run the vehicle, not much of a chance that the system could mix with the overflow. Id want to rinse the overflow, and it may be a good excuse to change the coolant, but I wouldn't be very worried.

You will be just fine. Any trace left over will be a non issue.

My non mechanical younger brother removed the oil filler cap, and poured a gallon of antifreeze in. It clearly was not enough to fill it up, so he grabbed the hose and filled to the top.

Hard to believe, but true. His wife had been adding water daily due to a leak, and he thought he saw how she did it. (he is a professor of philosophy)

It seems the engine did start, ran horribly and that was the end of that old Toyota.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
You will be just fine. Any trace left over will be a non issue.

My non mechanical younger brother removed the oil filler cap, and poured a gallon of antifreeze in. It clearly was not enough to fill it up, so he grabbed the hose and filled to the top.

Hard to believe, but true. His wife had been adding water daily due to a leak, and he thought he saw how she did it. (he is a professor of philosophy)

It seems the engine did start, ran horribly and that was the end of that old Toyota.
OMG, LMAO

I would also say you are good to go, especially since you cleaned it out.

Speaking of washer fluid in the coolant, I wonder how many Honda cars are running around with this condition since their OE coolant is blue. Used to be able to go by color for most major fluids... those days are long gone.

When I first saw this title, "I put rain x in the coolant reservoir" I thought someone was just bragging about their lack of maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Do not be too hard on yourself. Happens more than you think and happens a lot with Ford owners that have the combo coolant and washer fluid one piece tanks.

40189215_614.jpg

Brings back memories of my 93 Explorer.

That being said it was an honest mistake. Sounds like you did a pretty good job cleaning it out. When is your coolant do for a drain and fill? a simple drain and fill will leave very little if any residual rain-x stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back