TPS sensor 2014 CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some suggestions on my 2014 Honda CRV's TPS sensor light.

Had my original tires changed and soon after I picked it up the TPS light came on.

The tire dealer also changed the oem metal valve stem caps with cheap platic ones that did not even match.

Told the tire dealer I was unhappy and was going to the dealer to get my new caps and fix the TPS problem

on their dime .

Pressure in all tires were very close , so I checked again the next morning when they were cold.

No loss of pressure and all read 34psi.

Took the car on a trip and the light kept coming on ( pulled over a few times to check pressure and all were good )

Left the light on and contacted my Honda dealer and told them I checked tire pressure for a few days and

all tires were within .5 pounds of 34 psi and that I reset the TPS a bunch of times .

Told them everything and dropped it off with them .

Also mentioned that in the 3 years I have had the car the TPS light never came on.

Honda tech checked tire pressure and reset sensor ( just what I told them I did also )

Picked up the car today and after 20 minutes on the road the light went off again .

Called the dealer back and they said bring it back next week .

Any suggestions what this could be ?

Hate to take the car back for a second time only to not get it fixed again .

Honda dealer did not have the oem valve stem caps either.

Not sure why they did not order them as they has a week to get them in.

My understanding is the TPS runs off of wheel speed sensor, could that have been damaged ?

thanks for any help you all can provide.

Last edited:
More than likely the tire shop damaged the sensor. They will probably deny this and keep at you with the "drive it another day" routine.

Get the honda dealer to actually "sniff out" the sensors and come up with a diagnosis and a price to fix it. Present this paperwork to the tire dealer and don't leave without money or a new sensor.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
More than likely the tire shop damaged the sensor. They will probably deny this and keep at you with the "drive it another day" routine.

Get the honda dealer to actually "sniff out" the sensors and come up with a diagnosis and a price to fix it. Present this paperwork to the tire dealer and don't leave without money or a new sensor.

These have indirect TPMS (no sensors in the wheels, just a rubber stem). It uses the wheel speed sensors, so it may need a VSA/ABS software update.

Originally Posted By: jsfalls

These have indirect TPMS (no sensors in the wheels, just a rubber stem). It uses the wheel speed sensors, so it may need a VSA/ABS software update.

Incorrect. The passive systems that use rotation don't meet the requirements, they are active sensors now. I had a 2008 CR-V, they've been using actual pressure sensors since 2007.

Your vehicle either has a sensor in each wheel assembly or it uses the ABS sensors for the TPMS. Each wheel has an ABS sensor which detects wheel speed. A tire too low on air will spin at a different RPM than one at the nominal tire pressure. You rest the button each time you rotate the tires, add air, get new tires, check the air pressure.
Most any tire shop or dealer will toss your valve stem caps when getting new tires. You will wanna remove them from now on when buying new tires or having a flat fixed. OEM valve stem caps are usually the best quality. The factory ones for my wifes Audi have tiny O rings in them to give an air tight seal.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman

Incorrect. The passive systems that use rotation don't meet the requirements, they are active sensors now. I had a 2008 CR-V, they've been using actual pressure sensors since 2007.

Indeed some very late model Hondas did not use sensors in the wheels for TPM, they used the wheel speed sensors, but I don't believe the CRV ever went this route.

You are incorrect on your "incorrect" statement. 2014 CR-V and Accord went back to indirect TPMS.

OP, Press the button under your left knee to reset or use the MID to reset in vehicle settings. The metal valve stems are just a pretty cover anyway.

If you have a problem it could be the ABS speed sensor, and you should have an ABS MIL also

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Cars don't have to use in wheel sensors for TPMS, regardless of the model year.

They don't have to, but almost all do. I can't name a single every day make/model other than Honda that went sensorless (in-wheel) in recent years for some of their models.

If the TPMS light came on within 5-10 miles of leaving the tire dealer, either the tire dealer damaged one of the sensors or the new valve stems may not be compatible with your TPMS system.

My Ridgeline is almost 11 years old and I never had a TPMS light come on. I favor leaving on the original steel valve stems instead of using a new but cheap Chinese rubber valve stem.

I am a Honda tech. Did they/you try a "hard" reset? You can press the reset button 3 times in a row (with about 5 seconds in between) to make the system "forget" the previously learned data. If that doesn't work it is probably either a wheel speed sensor or software issue. The dealer you went to probably just gave it to one of the express lube guys to check the tire pressure and reset it.

thanks for all of the advice so far.

The Honda dealer did not say what reset they used but I was thinking they just pushed the button once and checked the tire pressure.

What got me is I told them the pressure in the tires was monitored for a week and I reset the button but it did not work.

I ended up trying the hard reset on it yesterday, will see if the light comes back on.

Should the light come on I will call the Honda dealer back and ask to speak to the service manager and explain the whole situation before

taking it back to them.

Last edited:
update on the TPS light. I did the hard reset and it came back on . have to get it back to the dealer again.

Might be a dumb question, but what is the actual tread depth of the tires? Being as Honda switched to a high-resolution ABS sensor based system, there could be enough of a discrepancy in the circumference to cause an issue.

These systems are actually quite smart. I MUCH prefer WSS based systems to active, tire sensor systems. No need for extra equipment, less touchy with weather changes, easily (usually) diagnosed.

As a side note: Those metal caps on hard stem TPM sensors are a pain. They LOVE to seize to the stem and snap off. Steel cap on aluminum... no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back