Kubota ck4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I work at a Kubota dealer and can get oil for an ok price. We just got a bulk order in Thursday of the new ck4 rated kubota 15w40. We still have a few cases of the "old" cj4 oil and I was thinking about buying several cases.

I've heard a few people say that kubota uses valvoline oil, is this true?

If I end up getting the cj4 oil it will be used in my '92 6bt cummins. The kubota oil is dual rated for gasoline & diesel use, that is the main reason I was going to get the cj4 and not ck4.

All input is welcome, thanks

Originally Posted By: spencerdiesel

If I end up getting the cj4 oil it will be used in my '92 6bt cummins.

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: CT8
You work at a Kubota dealer ,find out your self my goodness.

LOL! +10,000

uh guys hes talking about using it in a Diesel Truck.

No reason it wouldn't work just fine. I think you could possibly find a better deal though.

Last edited by a moderator:
CK4 has a little weaker add pack, to keep from poisoning the Diesel particulate filter and catalytic converter.

For that '92, I would grab as much of the CJ4 as I could, before it's gone....

Originally Posted By: Rand

LOL! +10,000

No reason it wouldn't work just fine. I think you could possibly find a better deal though.

Obviously aside from your snide remark to CT8 and myself the gentleman can use it in his Diesel application.

LOL! +10,000

The poster asked a good question in a respectful manner about a valid topic...CK-4 backward compatible oils in older diesels measuring up to CJ-4.
Many of us who own older diesel trucks, tractors and cars have asked this same question.

What are you paying per quart? There's no reason it wouldn't work honestly.

There should be plenty of CJ-4 oils on the market yet though. Delo and Delvac to name a few? Not sure on Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What are you paying per quart? There's no reason it wouldn't work honestly.

There should be plenty of CJ-4 oils on the market yet though. Delo and Delvac to name a few? Not sure on Valvoline.

Yep, I was at Wal Mart this morning near gf's house and then had older blue jug DELO 15w40 and 10w30 SM and DELO 5w40 SM. Even Super Tech is CH/SM rated
wink.gif

OP,

I have found various forums that state Valvoline supplies Kubota motor oils.

Unfortunately, none provided any supporting documentation but its a beginning point to research.

Originally Posted By: Rand

LOL! +10,000

Obviously aside from your snide remark to CT8 and myself the gentleman can use it in his Diesel application.
It was not snide working a the dealer a phpne call to the proper erepresentative would get proper information first hand not I heard that bla,bla,bla! I worked at a dealer and a phone call would get the proper information or an engineer when there was a seemingly insurmontible problem etc.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
I agree with Matt.

For older diesel engines the CJ-4 is a great product.

Yeah, suppose it is. If the price point is good also. But I have been using CK-4 rated oil in a Detroit 12.7L pre-egr engine this year and it is doing just fine also. On it's third load of CK-4 oil in the engine and will get changed in a couple of weeks.

Oh boy! 5 seconds on Google!
wink.gif

http://www.kubota.com/assets/safety/pdf/msds/70000-10033%20KUBOTA%20ENGINE%20OIL%2015W40%201_325%20GA%20KU10033%20United%20States%20(GHS)%20-%20English.pdf

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I agree with Matt.

Yeah, suppose it is. If the price point is good also. But I have been using CK-4 rated oil in a Detroit 12.7L pre-egr engine this year and it is doing just fine also. On it's third load of CK-4 oil in the engine and will get changed in a couple of weeks.

It will be great to see the UOAs from your first 2 oil changes that are doing fine.

I am sure many people will have similar experience but the fact remains the API CK-4 was a response to the needs of newer diesels and not as an intentional improvement for older diesels. The end goal was not, "Listen guys, we need to figure out a way to improve lubrication of CJ-4 for older vehicles in an effort to keep them in service".
It was, "Listen guys, we need to figure out a way to make engine oil compatible with newer trucks and equipment and make it quit destroying newer vehicle emission equipment like CJ-4 is currently doing".

OFcourse, we all will be saying, "Yep, have run CK-4 in my older diesel engines and they haven't blown up" as CJ-4 stocks continue to be depleted but I don't see a reason to switch if I can get ahold of CJ-4 at an equal or lesser price since its been doing great in my diesel equipment and on-road vehicles for many years.

Why does CK-4 provide such better protection? What is this new chemistry promising 50% better wear protection in some instances? Maybe it does what they say but why don't they say how? Why can't we see the reason for this improved lubrication on a VOA or UOA? Its not an increase in traditional additives such as Phosphorus, Zinc, Moly.

That is a question I am hoping someone will answer here on BITOG.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Oh boy! 5 seconds on Google!
wink.gif

http://www.kubota.com/assets/safety/pdf/msds/70000-10033%20KUBOTA%20ENGINE%20OIL%2015W40%201_325%20GA%20KU10033%20United%20States%20(GHS)%20-%20English.pdf

What exactly did this prove?

That it has a Zinc content of 1.11%

I must have missed the section you are so enthusiastic about. Did the MSDS break down the remaining 8.89%-18.89% of additives because all I saw is they are "Not Assigned" an identity.

"LUBRICANT ADDITIVE Not Assigned 10.00 - 20.00 %"

Thanks

Hey all, I work at a Kubota dealer and can get oil for an ok price. We just got a bulk order in Thursday of the new ck4 rated kubota 15w40. We still have a few cases of the "old" cj4 oil and I was thinking about buying several cases.

I've heard a few people say that kubota uses valvoline oil, is this true?

If I end up getting the cj4 oil it will be used in my '92 6bt cummins. The kubota oil is dual rated for gasoline & diesel use, that is the main reason I was going to get the cj4 and not ck4.

All input is welcome, thanks

First,
welcome2.gif
to the site.

For the rest of you, just to be expressly clear, this is the only thing he asked:
"I've heard a few people say that kubota uses valvoline oil, is this true?"

No, but it's close. Ashland makes Valvoline. Ashland makes Kubota. That does not mean Valvoline PB, or PBE, or such is identical to Kubota's lubes. But being CJ-4 and CK-4 certified, they'll be close enough for the sake of a conversation. There can always be different formulations, though; they will be blended to the requirements of the requestor. There's a myriad of roads to the same destination when it comes to lubes.

Note: I am not saying CJ-4 = CK-4. I am referring to VPB CJ-4 will be roughly equivalent to Kubota CJ-4, etc ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I agree with Matt.

It will be great to see the UOAs from your first 2 oil changes that are doing fine.

I am sure many people will have similar experience but the fact remains the API CK-4 was a response to the needs of newer diesels and not as an intentional improvement for older diesels. The end goal was not, "Listen guys, we need to figure out a way to improve lubrication of CJ-4 for older vehicles in an effort to keep them in service".
It was, "Listen guys, we need to figure out a way to make engine oil compatible with newer trucks and equipment and make it quit destroying newer vehicle emission equipment like CJ-4 is currently doing".

OFcourse, we all will be saying, "Yep, have run CK-4 in my older diesel engines and they haven't blown up" as CJ-4 stocks continue to be depleted but I don't see a reason to switch if I can get ahold of CJ-4 at an equal or lesser price since its been doing great in my diesel equipment and on-road vehicles for many years.

Why does CK-4 provide such better protection? What is this new chemistry promising 50% better wear protection in some instances? Maybe it does what they say but why don't they say how? Why can't we see the reason for this improved lubrication on a VOA or UOA? Its not an increase in traditional additives such as Phosphorus, Zinc, Moly.

That is a question I am hoping someone will answer here on BITOG.

Thanks.

My assertion was not based on some idea that CK-4 offers better protection, but that it is not something to be feared and lose sleep over. it is offering protection at least equal to CJ-4, while being formulated more for emissions protection also. The same fears, probably from the same people, went on when everything switched from CI-4 and CI-4+ to CJ-4. Oh the hue and cry that went out across the land that CJ-4 wouldn't protect as well as CI-4. I see the same thing going on. But my 2000 MY Detroit engine with well over 700,000 miles on its second life after a factory rebuild is doing just fine on CK-4. The wear numbers are virtually identical, oil consumption is the same 2 qt in 22000 miles, and viscosity is holding the same and TBN depletion over time mirrors CJ-4 oil UOA's on the same engine.

Our family owns Kubota tractors. I thought of using Kubota oil, to keep things "Kubota", but, the funny and crazy thing is that our local Kubota dealer doesn't even stock the Kubota engine oil, the transmission fluid, yes, the Kubota Super UDT, but, not the engine oil. I read on the forums as well, that Kubota engine oil is made by Valvoline.

So, a couple years ago, I called Valvoline and talked to a gentleman in the technical department. I told him how we have the Kubota tractors and asked what oil to use in them. He confirmed that, yes, Valvoline makes the oils for Kubota. He said he would use the Valvoline All Fleet in the tractors, because, he said, that is what Kubota puts in them at the factory. Now, he didn't say that All Fleet and Kubota are the same oil, that the Kubota oil is rebranded All Fleet, just that Kubota uses and fills the tractors at the factory with All Fleet.

He also said when I asked him about using Premium Blue, because Premium Blue is available almost everywhere, that the PB is made mainly for on-road vehicles. The All Fleet is designed and made off-road equipment as well. It offers extra protection for off-road engines versus Premium Blue.

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Our family owns Kubota tractors. I thought of using Kubota oil, to keep things "Kubota", but, the funny and crazy thing is that our local Kubota dealer doesn't even stock the Kubota engine oil, the transmission fluid, yes, the Kubota Super UDT, but, not the engine oil. I read on the forums as well, that Kubota engine oil is made by Valvoline.

So, a couple years ago, I called Valvoline and talked to a gentleman in the technical department. I told him how we have the Kubota tractors and asked what oil to use in them. He confirmed that, yes, Valvoline makes the oils for Kubota. He said he would use the Valvoline All Fleet in the tractors, because, he said, that is what Kubota puts in them at the factory. Now, he didn't say that All Fleet and Kubota are the same oil, that the Kubota oil is rebranded All Fleet, just that Kubota uses and fills the tractors at the factory with All Fleet.

He also said when I asked him about using Premium Blue, because Premium Blue is available almost everywhere, that the PB is made mainly for on-road vehicles. The All Fleet is designed and made off-road equipment as well. It offers extra protection for off-road engines versus Premium Blue.

He fed you a line of "stuff" that made you happy and hang up. And VPB can be used off-road ...

"All Fleet" is most certainly made for "on road" stuff:
http://hd.valvoline.com/sites/default/files/all_fleet_e900_rev_5.pdf

Here is the "Heavy Duty":
http://hd.valvoline.com/sites/default/files/valhd_1602.pdf

And the VPB:
http://hd.valvoline.com/sites/default/files/20170228_premium_blue_8600_es_0.pdf

Most of the time, fleet type lubes are more basic as a value leader. No OEM is going to fill the crankcase with expenseive lubes.

The VPB is their up-market offering.

Either way, most any of these lubes are going to be more than just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back