2016 Grand Caravan OLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Oil Life Monitor finally indicates time for an oil change at 9800 miles. I am participating in the Pennzoil UOA program. Current fill is SuperTech 5W/20 Full Synthetic. I had not planned to run the oil this far but it just worked out that way. Lots of highway miles this OCI, including a trip to New Orleans and back; about 3500 round trip. Next up, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w/20.

I wouldn't be afraid to use 5w/30. But at this point, the oil Pennzoil sent was that which is spec'd for my automobile. I want to compare apples to apples so to speak. Whereas Wal-Mart no longer carries PUP, I will have to order from Amazon or switch to Pennzoil Platinum. I may go to 0w/20 or 0W/30 year round.

On my previous Chrysler van, it looked like the OLM, or maybe it was just a mileage counter, would activate around 3k miles.

I've read of quite a few reports of Pentastar equipped Grand Caravans going to 10000mi+ before the OLM prompted for an oil change. Mine used to light up around the 8000 mile mark. It never used a noticeable amount of oil either.

I'm ignoring the OLM and doing 5k OCIs since our GC is doing pretty much exclusively short, city trips with tons of stop'n go. I did let it run during one OCI, which lasted from late fall to late April and it went off at about 7500 miles. Too long IMO for winter conditions and the duty cycle.

The highway miles like you described are very easy on oil, so no surprise the OLM didn't ask you to change the oil until 9800 miles
smile.gif

Changed the oil tonight using PUP. Sending in a UOA on the SuperTech Full Synthetic. Will run 10k this OCI regardless of OLM for equal comparison. After that, will follow the OLM exclusivly.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I'm ignoring the OLM and doing 5k OCIs since our GC is doing pretty much exclusively short, city trips with tons of stop'n go. I did let it run during one OCI, which lasted from late fall to late April and it went off at about 7500 miles. Too long IMO for winter conditions and the duty cycle.

The good thing about the OLM, if it is an Intelligent OLM, is that it takes outside temperature and short trips into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back