I surprised my wife with a 2017 CRV Touring

Yesterday I surprised my wife with a fully loaded 2017 Honda CR-V Touring in Obsidian Blue (stock pic):

2017_honda_cr-v_test_drive_overview-pic-2249396011531720557-640x480.jpeg

First time in 30+ years of marriage I've done the car commercial surprise.

Wife happy!! PLUS Klein Honda in Everett WA accepted my low ball offer!! (other Honda dealers wouldn't even chat at a HIGHER number) Still a chunk of change..........and wow remember the first gen CR-V?
lol.gif
(not saying it was a hunk of junk, but.........). I drove it once (last night) the automatic hi/lo LED beams are odd (but work well)

Anyway, she had been test driving cars for a year, had decided on the CR-V, even color. But just left the topic for a month or two - gave me the opportunity so to speak.

Congrats on the new vehicle. Make sure to drain all factory fluids ASAP to get wear metals out.

I kid.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
..........and wow remember the first gen CR-V?
lol.gif

My friend's girlfriend had one - he teased her by calling it her "minivan"
lol.gif

A CRV is a small Pilot. An Odyssey is a large Pilot. So the CRV is a small minivan, the Pilot is a medium minivan, and the Odyssey is a large minivan. But, for marketing purposes, they should be small, medium, and large SUVs. 'Cause SUVs are cool and minivans are not. They should just call minivans huge SUVs.

I know too many people who have the Pilot (Highlander, etc.) because they think SUVs are cool, but they need more room but refuse to drive a "minivan." If they just considered the Odyssey a large SUV, they would be much happier with the Odyssey (or another minivan).

When you can lowball Honda you did good. I actually had management tear up several times because i dared to pay less than MSRP. Good for you.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
When you can lowball Honda you did good. I actually had management tear up several times because i dared to pay less than MSRP. Good for you.

Dealers play these games because they work often enough. They either make people go for the more expensive deal or (maybe more commonly) make people feel like they got a great deal when it is just ok.

People threw us lowball numbers all the time when I was selling them. If they were in the ballpark we'd take many of the offers. It amazed me how many people were shocked when we said yes to their lowball offer. Many of them left scratching their heads wondering if they could have done better. Many high volume dealers like to move metal. The logic is to get better allocation, and increasing the possibility of more customers bringing in vehicles for service. Which in the long run generates more revenue than the sale of the car. Some of the low volume dealers are looking for higher profit per unit, we wanted to roll more metal.

Looks very nice, Pablo. Let us know how you're handling the ff: early change or following Honda's recommendation to leave it in for a normal interval? And, if convenient, a UOA showing how this particular 1.5T does on the fuel dilution issue would be really interesting.

And pray tell, what oil are you going to use.
grin.gif
Nice purchase.

Of the three Honda dealers in my area two acted like God- you know what I mean.
They would throw a fit and get insulted if you even tried. This is over 30 some years they have been around.
You just go elsewhere.
In the old days 80's VW around here was the worst. The sticker was the price. But they always remained a non seller here. Of course today it is totally different.
The bad Honda dealer took a dive when Hyundai mowed across the street a few years back.
The Honda dealer in DE. would get bent when I said I'm checking out VW- this was back in 2013- they hated VW. You mention it and they got straight up bent........ lol
I bailed on Honda in 2013. QC fell to building to a price plus I could no longer stomach their nonsense like no standard roadside assistance. Our cars never fail they said
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

People threw us lowball numbers all the time when I was selling them. If they were in the ballpark we'd take many of the offers. It amazed me how many people were shocked when we said yes to their lowball offer. Many of them left scratching their heads wondering if they could have done better. Many high volume dealers like to move metal. The logic is to get better allocation, and increasing the possibility of more customers bringing in vehicles for service. Which in the long run generates more revenue than the sale of the car. Some of the low volume dealers are looking for higher profit per unit, we wanted to roll more metal.

Very nice! Love the color and the wheels. I sat in a few when shopping for a Civic with my BIL late last year. I always loved the CRV, although I've not driven the newer CVT quipped ones. I'm a CVT fan regardless as you can tell from my sig. Nice thing about Hondas is their DIY serviceability for lubes/filters, etc. Plus you can buy a Honda Care extended warranty online for cheap if you want.

Originally Posted By: Bud
And pray tell, what oil are you going to use.
grin.gif
Nice purchase.

SuperTech right?
grin.gif

That is a dang nice surprise, throw us some live shots.

Of the three Honda dealers in my area two acted like God- you know what I mean.
They would throw a fit and get insulted if you even tried. This is over 30 some years they have been around.
You just go elsewhere.
In the old days 80's VW around here was the worst. The sticker was the price. But they always remained a non seller here. Of course today it is totally different.
The bad Honda dealer took a dive when Hyundai mowed across the street a few years back.
The Honda dealer in DE. would get bent when I said I'm checking out VW- this was back in 2013- they hated VW. You mention it and they got straight up bent........ lol
I bailed on Honda in 2013. QC fell to building to a price plus I could no longer stomach their nonsense like no standard roadside assistance. Our cars never fail they said
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

We have dealers like that too, it depends on the owner and how he wants to run his dealership. The owner and GM of one of the Honda dealerships I worked for wanted to roll metal. IIRC we were the #1 Honda dealer in the US at the time, moving 1000+ cars a month. Their logic was go for gross if you can get it, if not don't turn away any reasonable offer. He wanted the warranty work, maintenance, etc, customers coming in for service. That's like I said a long term money maker. When you think about it putting 1K+ cars a month will bring in a lot of work for the shop, and repeat car buyers because of the low pricing. They'd try and hammer a customer on the back end of the deal and make some money there. Others wanted to make high gross profits, those are the stores I didn't want to work for.

Back on topic- Nice gift to the wife! Great color, drive it in good health!!!!

Back