IVECO Daily - ultimate (semi) affordable 4x4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[video:youtube]http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4442/2/2/90/pdf[/video]

Not so family friendly that it could fit in the local underground carparks, but WAY cool nonetheless.

Come with 4,495KG GVM (9,930lb), which you can drive on a standard licence...for no additional cost (LOL) you can get a 5,500KG variant (11100lb)...tows 3.5 tonnes.

Great trucks, fire brigades use them all over Europe. That 3 litre is strong and reliable unit, had one in a Daily RWD panel van. But IIRC there's a new version 210HP/470NM for EU.

My biggest gripe with old version (2009) was interior plastic quality which was appalling thru the IVECO range. New Daily's cabin is vastly improved. If I could afford one or have any use for it ( you really can't drive truck in Europe ),would take one happily.

A couple of blokes that had Defenders on the Oz Land Rover forum have upgraded to Iveco's for outback touring and mostly love them, although apparently they are chronically underbraked.

An upgrade kit was developed here to mitigate that issue.

Originally Posted By: tdi-rick
A couple of blokes that had Defenders on the Oz Land Rover forum have upgraded to Iveco's for outback touring and mostly love them, although apparently they are chronically underbraked.

An upgrade kit was developed here to mitigate that issue.

Why would they build up a monster vehicle like that and not put big brakes on it?

Quite like one of these (British Army Dodge 50). Sort of a cheaper Unimog, which the British Army can't really afford, cept maybe the SAS as a special treat.

14269654956_30a526b34d_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2900/14269654956_30a526b34d_b.jpg

I lived in the civilian version for a couple of years in London. Unfortunately 2 WD and quite a lot bigger. A yellow ex-British Telecom workshop truck converted to a camper, with double rear wheels

Bought it off a dodgy French geezer who distracted me with stories of driving an LVT in Indochine before Dien Bien Phu, and I forgot to try reversing it, which turned out to be absolutely terrifying.

I used to hit things, like factories and blocks of flats.

I don't, sadly, have any pictures of mine, but it was quite like this.

c999yex-30-06-02.jpg

http://www.dodge50.co.uk/c999yex-30-06-02.jpg

Always meant to take one on Westminster Bridge with the Houses of Parliament dwarfed in the background, but never got around to it.

(You had to keep a fairly low profile as an urban "New Age Traveller" in Thatcher's Britain, especially if you worked in The City.)

Had an idea of taking it to Mauretania when my contract ended, but incredibly this huge yellow thing was stolen.

Paid 1800 quid for it, saved me about 10,000 quid in rent, insurance paid out 1600 quid. Arguably my best automotive investment.

Bloke who did its MOT's said they often went to Africa, so I hope its still running somewhere.

I wonder if FCA will bring this over to the US and sell it as a Ram Promaster Extreme to utility/emergency upfitters?

Iveco is HUGE pretty much everywhere outside of the United States. Don't know why I don't see them here.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
That's a cool looking machine! I can only imagine the price tag on one though.

Lots less than a RHD converted Ram...Or Unimog or OKA for that matter (second had OKAs are still sky high, even woth the company out of bisiness)

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Iveco is HUGE pretty much everywhere outside of the United States. Don't know why I don't see them here.

My FIL had a Winnebago on an IVECO, biggest that you can have on a car licence...was a great beast. 20MPG US on diesel too.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I wonder if FCA will bring this over to the US and sell it as a Ram Promaster Extreme to utility/emergency upfitters?
I think the chances of that happening are very remote.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

My FIL had a Winnebago on an IVECO, biggest that you can have on a car licence...was a great beast. 20MPG US on diesel too.

20mpg, now that's fuel economy that's really worth bragging about.
cheers3.gif

Most American Winnebagos got mid single digits. Makes for really expensive road tripping. Only now have they introduced models that can get low 'teens' on the highway.

Jetronic, you HAD to go there, so in the spirit of brinkmanship I'll one-up you with a MAZ.

It is great for... logging. That's right, logging. Yeah, logging! Or fire fighting! *snort*

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
The difference is, I see a Ural in my future...
thats awesome. Truly awesome. No MAZ for me ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back