Let's Talk Jetta's..

Status
Not open for further replies.
VW lists three turbo motors for the Jetta
The website list's the HP and torque, as well as the mpg.

I'd like to know the advantages of each or your personal favorite and reasons why.
What engines use a spin on oil filter or cartridge?

Mostly for the sake of conversation and to educate us VW'less car enthusiasts.
Thanks!!

2.0L is instantly out because it's only available in the GLI. No way I'd ever pay $28,000 for a Jetta.

The 1.8L is nearly in the same boat. SEL trim at $25,000 is also too expensive. You can get a Focus ST for $25,000. The $22,000 Sport is a more agreeable price... but you can't the 1.8L with a manual trans.

If it were me, I'd be looking at a Jetta SE with the 1.4L and a manual trans.

I like the 1.8t because it is what comes in the AllTrack.

If you told me I had to go buy one today and it could not be a Sportwagen/AllTrack/NOS TDI (Yes they are selling them) I would probably get a 1.4t / 5 speed SE but I’d be hacked off it wasn’t a DSG. I’d pick that one because it would have most of the stuff I’d like and I don’t need a GLI enough to pay for it... Now it you’re paying, I’ll take a GLI.

BTW VW’s website is notoriously inaccurate about availability of things....

if you can get a good deal on an SEL then go for it. I prefer the 1.8 over the 1.4. I have driven both and can tell you the 1.8 is more punchy down low and in the higher rev range. It also has a timing chain instead of a belt. If the SEL is to expensive try and get a Sport. It still has some nice features, a more sporty suspension, and is equipped with the 1.8.

I hope they are improved over the 2000 Jetta my friend had. What a POS and the dealer never backed the car when in warranty. All 4 windows fell in the door (not all at once), used and leaked oil by 50k miles, Clutch gone in 80k miles, misc interior peices fell off...just junk back then. I imagine by now they are better??

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I hope they are improved over the 2000 Jetta my friend had. What a POS and the dealer never backed the car when in warranty. All 4 windows fell in the door (not all at once), used and leaked oil by 50k miles, Clutch gone in 80k miles, misc interior peices fell off...just junk back then. I imagine by now they are better??

They are, and you know they are. :eyeroll:

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Only problem with 1.4T is the timing belt. Lasts to 100K before needing changed.
Loving my 2012 Jetta, already have 115K miles on it.

1.4T - Spin on filter
1.8T - Cartridge
2.0T - Weird looking spin on filter

That's for the old 2.0T, the current gen uses a cartridge filter like the 1.8T. Only one that uses a spin on is the 1.4T.

Originally Posted By: MrHorsepower
2.0L is instantly out because it's only available in the GLI. No way I'd ever pay $28,000 for a Jetta.

If you don't know how to shop around you'll pay that. For example (one of the dealers I was looking at when I was looking at GTI's, in Maryland as well)

2017 Jetta GLI - Add another 1K if you want a DSG.

or

2017 1.8T Sport

Very competitive pricing at the moment.

I would prefer the GLI with the 2.0T myself, but maybe that's because I own a GTI, heh. You get close to the performance of the GTI, but with more cargo room. I think the turbo is different so a little less power, but close. 1.8T or 2.0T would be my preference, although it seems the 1.4T doesn't do bad. But timing belt, eh, no thanks.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

They are, and you know they are. :eyeroll:

No, I don't and that's why I asked. My aunt has a CC and it is troublesome as well.

I'm sure they've improved since then. I saw the same thing you mentioned. I helped my SIL buy a mint, used 1999 Jetta 5spd years ago. Around 2000-2001. First year of the "new" body style. 3 of 4 window regs failed at odd times on her, but all were fixed free at a dealer. A few times I checked the oil on it for her to find NONE on the stick! Yet it purred along. The CEL was pretty much always on for something, but yet it always ran like a top. Mileage over 100K at that point. She traded it in on something new in 2003 and still got a good trade-in allowance for it.

Friends down here both purchased new Jetta's for right around 15k.

I think its a good value car, both have nicely appointed interiors, and they are not bad to drive with a stick shift.

VW was doing huge rebates and 0 percent financing, so it didn't make sense for either one of them to spend 10k on a used car.

I do like Jettas but I am starting to think the Passat might be better for me. The Jetta may be sportier but the Passat has some nice upgrades. Both cars look the same to me at first glance.

passats are roomy and smooth. im very happy with my trouble-free cpo 2013 passat s with the 5-cylinder 2.5 liter engine. passat prices are low but so are resale values.

Originally Posted By: jstert
passats are roomy and smooth. im very happy with my trouble-free cpo 2013 passat s with the 5-cylinder 2.5 liter engine. passat prices are low but so are resale values.

Our BITOG user BOOMER, has a 2-3 years old TDI Passat and a brand new alltrack.....
I think he drives highways a lot.....

They are MUCH better.

My first VW experience was when my sister bought a 2001 Jetta with the 2.0 Auto. HUGE POS. The engine leaked a ton of oil, burned a ton of oil, it had electrical problems, and the transmission died at 101k miles.

Two of my friends now own Jettas. One has a 2010 2.5L 5 speed with 230k (ish) miles, the other a 2015 1.8T with 40k miles. Both have been very reliable, solid cars. The build quality is leagues ahead of the 2001.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back