Comparing oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
When comparing the ACDELCO PF1237 and FRAM TG6600, does either filter offer a clear advtange in quality or performance, or is it completely subjective? My research indicates that both filters share many of the same features. One obvious difference is the TG has twice as many holes on the top plate (where it mates with the engine), but not sure if that means much of anything.

Thoughts? I should also add that the TG retails for about twice as much as the ACDELCO. The ACDELCO is not an ecore version.

Last edited:
The unknown secret that 99.999% of the people do not know is the best oil filter is a good air cleaner and the intake plumbing not leaking.

Originally Posted By: TheOilWizard
does either filter offer a clear advantage in quality or performance,

You would have to compare efficiency numbers.....
but even at that, there will be no impact on the longevity of your engine,
unless you run your filters 20,000+ miles

One of my mandatory requirements for an oil filter is a thick heavy can. I can crush a yellow Purolator with my bare hands.

Wix/NAPA filters are all I use, no need to lose sleep over an oil filter
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
One of my mandatory requirements for an oil filter is a thick heavy can. I can crush a yellow Purolator with my bare hands.

This proves nothing - - the pressure is from the "inside out"

I've never seen an oil filter burst under normal operation.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

I guess my concern with a thin can is how well it can withstand damage from road debris.

I guess my concern with a thin can is how well it can withstand damage from road debris.

Is it in a highly susceptible location?

I never see so much as a chip in the paint of the filters I pull off, MUCH less a dent or puncture.

I've had a ding in the filter on my '07 Caravan 3.3 a time or two. It's right out front directly behind the radiator support, wide open. Not a good location at all.

If you drive a truck with all-terrain or mud terrain tires, on gravel roads, it is VERY possible to have dents or even holes in an oil filter that hangs down by the oil pan. The (now hard to find) Bosch Distance Plus is probably the most rock resistant one-I'm actually going to use a Baldwin HPG on the XJ as an external transmission filter, mounted behind/under the radiator core support.

Then I think a rubber (or even metal) sleeve that slides over the can would be an order of magnitude better protection, & hopefully could/would be reusable.

Then I think a rubber (or even metal) sleeve that slides over the can would be an order of magnitude better protection, & hopefully could/would be reusable.

1.jpg

Is it in a highly susceptible location?

I never see so much as a chip in the paint of the filters I pull off, MUCH less a dent or puncture.

Well,both of mine are on the very bottom,but located at a higher elevation than the oil pan. I've heard of that happening,maybe it's just an internet urban legend. People will find a tiny gash hole in the oil filter can where oil has seeped out.

1.jpg

That's pretty sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back