BMW/5w-30, 7629, 130k

Status
Not open for further replies.
/i have started to get a high lead reading. Also my car has a 'noise around 1600-1800 rpm. I wasn't sure if it was coming from the engine so I would hold the brake and rev the engine and I still hear this noise. Its a very light ticking. Should I be worried about bearings?

Bmw, 3.0 m54... How is it driven? Feet on the floor... Not sure what you are asking. I drive to work, pick up groceries, etc..

Originally Posted By: zeng
Nothing to worry about.
Bearings are normal.
Oil is serviceable.
care to elaborate

What 5W30? What does the engine call for in the manual? What year is the car? What was Blackstone's (or whoever did the analysis's) recommendation? Silicon is a little high, any chance of a leaky (or K&N) air filtration problem?

Originally Posted By: JayBB
/i have started to get a high lead reading. Also my car has a 'noise around 1600-1800 rpm. I wasn't sure if it was coming from the engine so I would hold the brake and rev the engine and I still hear this noise. Its a very light ticking. Should I be worried about bearings?

One point: Your kv100 viscosity is 12.01, and its still a 30-weight as long as its in the range of 9.3 to 12.5, so I'm not sure why Blackstone flagged it.

Another point: BMW's are famous for light ticking. Google BMW lifter tick. Its probably just the HVA, hydraulic valve adjusters (lifters).
Your lead is only a little high, may be nothing. If a bearing was going, it should be more noticeable, yet that could be the problem, from what limited info I have on your situation. Most likely lifter tick.

Since you say the noise is only around 1700 rpm, maybe its not lifter tick. You don't hear anything around idle?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
What 5W30? What does the engine call for in the manual? What year is the car? What was Blackstone's (or whoever did the analysis's) recommendation? Silicon is a little high, any chance of a leaky (or K&N) air filtration problem?

bmw oil 5w/30, 2005...have not looked into silicon yet, just changed air filter 2 or so months ago, could have ingested some dirt while changing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

One point: Your kv100 viscosity is 12.01, and its still a 30-weight as long as its in the range of 9.3 to 12.5, so I'm not sure why Blackstone flagged it. Please explain this, how the viscosity could change and why it's even something to talk about..

Another point: BMW's are famous for light ticking. Google BMW lifter tick. Its probably just the HVA, hydraulic valve adjusters (lifters).
Your lead is only a little high, may be nothing. If a bearing was going, it should be more noticeable, yet that could be the problem, from what limited info I have on your situation. Most likely lifter tick.

Since you say the noise is only around 1700 rpm, maybe its not lifter tick. You don't hear anything around idle?
Nothing around idle, specifically around 1700-1800 rpm moving or with my foot on the brake revving the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

One point: Your kv100 viscosity is 12.01, and its still a 30-weight as long as its in the range of 9.3 to 12.5, so I'm not sure why Blackstone flagged it.

Another point: BMW's are famous for light ticking. Google BMW lifter tick. Its probably just the HVA, hydraulic valve adjusters (lifters). Don't think it is lifter tick, it seems the tick on these cars are all when the engine is cold at idle. That is not my case.

I did find some bmw discussion on another forum about the issue I may have. So long as its not a bearing I am happy. But I still would like to know from the brain trust how you think my engine is doing. Maybe it could be a bearing. But it seems from the discussion that they are just chasing gremlins.

Last edited:
Bearing noise is usually a knock down low rather than a tick. It also is normally not specific to a certain rpm. Usually you hear it with warm oil at idle (low oil pressure) and the car under slight load in drive. (torque converter drag) Try another oil and see what your lead #'s do. Mobil 1, Castrol Edge or PP should all be fine for a comparison.

Please explain this, how the viscosity could change and why it's even something to talk about..

Viscosity typically gradually goes down a little (like kv100 drops -2 cSt) the first 5,000 miles or so, and then after that starts to go back up.
Reduction in visc (kv100) is due to the VII (visc improver) molecules actually breaking apart over time and stress and/or some fuel dilution entering the sump from leaky fuel injectors and/or worn rings. An increase in visc is from oxidation (via heat stress and time), and is a sure sign the oil needs to be changed if kv100 gets to say, +2 cst over the new oil's value. ............. You used the high HTHS BMW 5w30, which means 12 cSt kv100 was what it was new, right in the SAE 30 weight range OK, indicating some VII breakdown and oxidation was equally acting to reduce and increase for a net gain of zero.

Note: HTHS is a higher temperature, high bearing speed (shear) viscosity, higher stress than a kv100, which affects oil film thickness the most, something to look up sometime when you're bored and want to read geeky stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back