Got pickles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are what you'd call semi-pickled cucumbers... you can eat them after just 3-4 days of sitting in brine in an open jar. I've also put in some dill, garlic, pepper, and horseradish root.

35703464600_ed4827b282_o.jpg

Those look great! My mom used to make a quick pickled cucumber too! It was probably more of an asian style, but they were peeled pickles cut into quarters cut into small pieces. It was more on the sweeter side. Yum..

Ever since I was a kid, I'd prefer to eat pickled stuff, salted meat (like beef jerky), canned fish over cake or candy. I guess that's why I never had a weight problem. I still crave vinegar like fat kids crave candy.

Awhile back I bought some pickled garlic and some dilly beans at one of those road side shops coming home from the beach. After I ate the garlic and the beans, I decided to buy some garlic cloves and put them in the pickling solution in the same jar.

So they had been sitting there for about a month and when I opened the jar, the garlic was fizzing! I guess it's now fermented. I never would have thought something would ferment in a pickling solution kept in the fridge. That the salt and vinegar would not allow fermentation to happen.

Apparently you cannot just put raw garlic into a pickling solution and expect the same results. It must be cooked first.

I thought that was what "cold packing" was all about. That Claussen pickles were not cooked, just placed raw in a jar of pickling solution and they were pickled that way.

So my wife found a recipe I'm going to try.

...Not like those! They look great! Never tried my hand at it before. I like the deli style with garlic, herbs, peppers and a bit of heat.

The hotter it is, the better they taste ice-cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back