Transfer Pump - ATF change - PS

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-63144.html

Bought this at harbor freight a few days ago . Cheap enough at $ 5.95 .

This morning I used it on our new-to-us 2006 Buick Lacrosse CX 3.8l . I had driven the Buick this morning on some errands , so the transmission was warm and the fluid " stired up " .

I found an empty 1 gallon plastic jug that had contained windshield wiper fluid .

The pump came with 2 orange plastic flexible tubes , 1 in & 1 out . I pulled the transmission dipstick and shoved the " in " tube down the tip stick tube until it would not go any further . The pump started sucking air just as the 1 gallon jug was filled .

I had ordered 6 - 1 quart bottles of Valvoline Synthetic Dexron VI ( blue bottle ) from Walmart online . In a few minutes , I am going to dump 4 of them into the transmission .

The fluid that came out was darker than it looked , on the dip stick . I am really glad I did this , although I know roughly 1/2 of the old fluid remains in the transmission / torque converter .

I am thinking about doing our 1991 Chevy Caprice 5.0l next . Then , maybe the 2015 Chevy Sonic .

I know this does not get the filter changed , but it has to be better than nothing . And the Sonic does not have a DIY serviceable filter , anyway .

PS Only got about 1-1/2 - 2 quarts out of the Caprice , before it started sucking air .

Last edited:
I tried doing the same thing on my 2002 and the hose stops at the base of the tube. I'm lucky to get 4-6 oz of fluid out before the pump is pushing air. From what I recall, there's a protective clip on the bottom of that tube that is visible from the pan side. I guess the OEM wanted to ensure that foreign material didn't make it all the way down the tube....in this case....a pump hose.

As far as the 2006 Buick Lacrosse CX 3.8l is concerned, you have a 4T65E tranny, Be sure to drive it a few miles stop and go
and then check the new ATF level again, typically it will seem to drop on the dipstick.

That is, a warm engine by idling won't give you a hot tranny with the true ATF level. Top up as needed.

4T65Es don't like low ATF levels even if just on Min on the dipstick, including HD models.

Get a smaller diameter tubing, like some polyethylene - - like Ice maker water tube, but a little bigger. (at the hardware store)

I've had a few of those ... they are so cheap I never keep track of where I leave them. Work well for lighter fluids - ATF and engine oil and such. they do get a bit frustrating when it comes to filling differentials. ..

I used to hate pulling the tranny pan, but now it's easy:

- I use a long, wide, 5" tall lid of cheap 100L tupperware-type storage bin to catch all the ATF in one shot!
- I use a cordless driver to remove bolts fast.
- I got scoops sized to tranfer ATF from the catch bin to jugs
- I get to see what's all over the 8 magnets and clean them off!
- I get to replace the tranny filter early!
- gives me a new opportunity to find places to cram more magnets!
wink.gif

As a result I skip using transfer pump

Originally Posted By: TmanP
I did the exact same thing (on my exact same car) with the same pump. Using the small black hose, I was able to get out exactly 6 quarts of ATF. I did this twice. Then I used it to change the power steering fluid. Here's a writeup I did on that: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4190408/I_changed_my_p.s._fluid,_it's_
I found that it works pretty well!

Did not try the black hose . 4 quarts with the orange hose . May need to try the black hose ob the Caprice .

Thanks , :)

Had not thought of using it on differentials .

They are cheap enough that you could buy one for each of the different types of fluids . If you have several vehicles .

I bought 2 turkey basters , one for PS fluid and one for brake fluid .

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

- I use a long, wide, 5" tall lid of cheap 100L tupperware-type storage bin to catch all the ATF in one shot!
wink.gif

You left out jacking up the car & putting it on jack stand . And getting down on the ground or concrete . Then getting up and down a few times .

Getting up and down is getting more difficult as time goes by , with bad kneed and bad hips . :-(

How many inch-pounds do you torque the pan bolts to ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

wink.gif

You left out jacking up the car & putting it on jack stand . And getting down on the ground or concrete . Then getting up and down a few times .

Getting up and down is getting more difficult as time goes by , with bad kneed and bad hips . :-(

How many inch-pounds do you torque the pan bolts to ?

LOL! Good point on hips and knees gettin' up and down! Right now for me that's still a little exercise!

On 4T65E pan bolts torque is 100 inch/Lb - w/o big power tools or you'll go over and may strip
out threads. I cheat a little with a small D cell nicad power screw driver as a nut runner up
to last 1-2 turns, final torque with vintage dial indicating mini torque wrench.

I run the car up on ramps then use jacks to lift the body higher for more elbow room under the car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back