Dumb question I've been thinking about a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to start with my bypass filter is about $40 a piece and the oil I'm running is $23.40 a gallon. Ebp120 probably holds a gallon

I'm only half way serious here..... when it's time to change the oil (11 gallons)and i do not want to change the bypass filter , is there any way you can think of The Purge the old oil out of the filter.
I think flushing it with clean oil would be a waste partially because it wouldn't be clean in Old out I would think it would mix,using air psi would damage the filter possibly, unscrewing it and draining it will probably ruin the gasket (could get replacement oring)

This has been on my brain for a few days bc I think I may have to change the oil around 45k...just a guess

Last edited:
The filter should become better at filtering as it gets loaded up. Either change the filter or don't; please don't play games with it because its protecting expensive mission critical equipment.

The question is more along the lines of getting old oil out of it, for example gravity feeding through the in side. ( its,more,of a tongue in cheek bitog anal question)

Leave the bypass filter alone.
What's inside is still typically good oil, and besides - -
your engine probably traps almost that much in all the "nooks and crannies".

I was told by someone that it holds two gallons between the cooler and somewhere else

I like knowing that at an OCI I can get all the old oil out, I see no harm in screwing off the Bypass filter, draining it and putting it back on.

If you want, you can refill it with new oil to reduce the dry start if the oil pump has to refill a totally empty bypass system including the hoses.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

I like knowing that at an OCI I can get all the old oil out, I see no harm in screwing off the Bypass filter, draining it and putting it back on.

If you want, you can refill it with new oil to reduce the dry start if the oil pump has to refill a totally empty bypass system including the hoses.

I do not think reseating the filter is a good idea after draining it. Change the filter or leave it alone.

Schaeffer 9k is 23.50 a gallon? Get every mile out of it you can!
I'd leave the bypass alone. With an 11 gallon sump, even 2 gallons isn't going to do any harm.
And for bypass, this is the exact reason I like replaceable cartridges.
I can swap a new cartridge into my Racor LFS for about 12. The only old oil left is in the lines.
I'm doing 5k OCI, the bypass gets changed every 10K.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
I'd leave the bypass alone. With an 11 gallon sump, even 2 gallons isn't going to do any harm.
I can swap a new cartridge into my Racor LFS for about 12. The only old oil left is in the lines.
Why are you running a bypass?

Originally Posted By: beanoil

Tell me more about this racor unit .I about to put a bypass on on my 5.9 magnum .I don't really care about the cost,I will be keeping this truck until the motor rots off the frame. Right now it has 85 k on a 1996 model. Iv been considered a frantz, at 5k with mobile one the uoa isn't very impressive

Originally Posted By: NStuart
Just to start with my bypass filter is about $40 a piece and the oil I'm running is $23.40 a gallon. Ebp120 probably holds a gallon

I'm only half way serious here..... when it's time to change the oil (11 gallons)and i do not want to change the bypass filter , is there any way you can think of The Purge the old oil out of the filter.
I think flushing it with clean oil would be a waste partially because it wouldn't be clean in Old out I would think it would mix,using air psi would damage the filter possibly, unscrewing it and draining it will probably ruin the gasket (could get replacement oring)

This has been on my brain for a few days bc I think I may have to change the oil around 45k...just a guess

Please don't " ... just a guess ..." your way into extended OCIs! You should be doing UOAs at predetermined intervals.
Sure, you could remove the BP element and drain it. I think you should do it, but not because it's warranted. Rather, I think it's silly but it may well be the only way to convince you. Some folks just have to go down a road to find the dead-end themselves. Run a few UOAs both ways; see if you can find out if it makes a difference. I HIGHLY suspect you'll not be able to tell.

Regarding your truck; it's 21 years old, but only has 85k miles on it? And you're considering a BP on it?
You are correct; it will rot away far sooner than the engine will die.

Last edited:
In my opinion, it's the clean oil you want to keep, not the contaminated oil filter element. I run a Racor ABS10300 and elements are about the same cost. I sample the oil and when the time comes I replace the BP element, top off the oil and go on my way. One person posted that a filter works better as it gets plugged, true up to a point but moisture will over come, (saturate) the cellulose and eventually pass where solids will stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back