Flooded with Gas Dilute Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Accidentally flooded my 2002 Honda minivan. I absent-mindedly pumped the gas pedal when starting. Old habit from my old Toyota with the carburetor.

Any idea if this causes much gas to get into the oil? I'm thinking a one-time flooding is not a big deal, but I tend to worry about things.

FI doesn't have an accelerator pump like a carbureted engine does....no worries.

We had a neighbour who had a brand new '63 Impala SS 2dr hardtop. Nice car. Might have been a 327 V8, but I'm not sure about that. He would flood it occasionally and believed you should (and did) always change the oil. That seemed a bit obsessive.

If an engine flooded regularly, it wouldn't be good for the oil, but once - I wouldn't worry about it.

It doesn't happen like that and I doubt you would pump a carbed engine enough to flood the oil with gasoline.

Did you actually flood it as in you had to hold the pedal to the floor to clear it?

Regardless it'll evaporate off through the PCV system.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Did you actually flood it as in you had to hold the pedal to the floor to clear it?

Regardless it'll evaporate off through the PCV system.

No, I just pumped the pedal once or twice before starting it, before I realized my mistake. Then I waited a few seconds, and cranked until it started. I smelled gas as I drove away. So I guess I was smelling it coming through the PCV system.

I'm guess I won't worry about it. I never do hard accelerations, and the oil probably otherwise stays very clean.

You didn't flood anything on that engine, you could pump the pedal 100 times and nothing will happen except maybe your leg getting tired. The electronic engine control looks for a signal the engine is rotating as in cranking and running not even key on will fire the injectors allowing fuel into the engine without rotation being detected by the sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back