Why have to wait to add oil until at tbottom line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the manual says to not add oil if it is low until it gets to the bottom line.

Coming from the old school of keeping the oil level filled at all times, why is the car company (Ford in this case) saying to not fill it to the full line until it goes one quart low? And will something go wrong if I do?

It just doesn't make sense to have a "full line" if it doesn't have to be kept full.

Because it's not needed and the auto makers don't want you to feel like you must add oil if it only needs 1/2 a pint. That and they don't trust the average person to not overfill the engine with oil. Me? If it's 1/2 way between the full and the add mark, I'm adding oil.

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
So the manual says to not add oil if it is low until it gets to the bottom line.

What does the manual say, verbatim?
Does is specifically advise against it?

I'm also in the camp of "1/2 way down, add 1/2 quart"

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Because it's not needed and the auto makers don't want you to feel like you must add oil if it only needs 1/2 a pint. That and they don't trust the average person to not overfill the engine with oil. Me? If it's 1/2 way between the full and the add mark, I'm adding oil.

Yip!!

Originally Posted By: Linctex

From the manual:
"Note: If the oil level is between the
maximum and minimum marks, the oil level
is acceptable. Do not add oil"

I keep it near the top. Why? Why not. If I go on a last minute 15 hour long drive I know that the oil is good, and not near the bottom.

they don't trust the average person to not overfill the engine with oil

Yup. Remember the pictures that everybody saw last week where washer fluid was poured in the sump?

From the manual:

There is nothing in that instruction that says you have to keep your oil at the MAX or FULL line either.

The manufacturer is saying that the MIN on the dipstick is sufficient to provide proper lubrication to your engine.

Sit back, enjoy your morning coffee and revel in the fact that the biggest worry in your life is whether to add 1/2 quart of oil or not.

In other words, LIFE IS GOOD.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
they don't trust the average person to not overfill the engine with oil

Yup. Remember the pictures that everybody saw last week where washer fluid was poured in the sump?

BINGO.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I keep it near the top. Why? Why not. If I go on a last minute 15 hour long drive I know that the oil is good, and not near the bottom.

Great advice for everyone planning on driving half way across the country at the last minute.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

From the manual:

There is nothing in that instruction that says you have to keep your oil at the MAX or FULL line either.

The manufacturer is saying that the MIN on the dipstick is sufficient to provide proper lubrication to your engine.

Sit back, enjoy your morning coffee and revel in the fact that the biggest worry in your life is whether to add 1/2 quart of oil or not.

In other words, LIFE IS GOOD.

When you put it like that, THANKS!!!

My take on it is that if it is only down a partial quart, most people would not try to add only a partial quart, but put in the full quart, thereby having it overfull. Although I don't know about these new cars, but when I have had older cars that used a little (or a lot) of oil, I always filled them at least a 1/2 qt. overfull. My OPE I always fill a little over the full mark, and my stuff runs forever it seems, and never any oil related problems.

I'm torn on this for one reason. Is it likely that the dipstick lines are non linear and you'd end up over or underfilling ?

The full line is there for a reason. I like to keep my crankcase full. Some vehicles have small sump capacities. Why run your vehicle on 10-15-20% less oil?

Coming from the old school of keeping the oil level filled at all times, why is the car company (Ford in this case) saying to not fill it to the full line until it goes one quart low? And will something go wrong if I do?

It just doesn't make sense to have a "full line" if it doesn't have to be kept full.

Since there's a quart between "fill" and "full", and most oil containers have a quart in them this is the least likely to go wrong. You empty a complete container, not overfilling and minimizing the risk of dirt entering the engine (either through the filler or from an ill-treated half-used quart bottle).

And if you don't reach 1 quart low before the next oil change, you just saved yourself some money.

But the manufacturer must know what they're doing right? Must be the tight tolerances in these new engines! Give me a break.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You do not have to stop for gasoline during that 15 hour drive?

well IMO, as noted in the previous post it mostly depends on overall size of the sump and the graduation of the mark (or marks) on the dipstick.
For instance my car has a 10qt sump, half way down on the dipstick is less than 1/2 qt, i can wait until the level is at the bottom of the stick and then add a full quart. If i had a 4 qt sump, then half way down on the dipstick, i would be adding oil a cup at a time, checking the stick then adding more if needed to top it off to the full line.

speaking of gas do you all do the same with fuel?

if you go down by 2gallonsn you refuel and never go below half tank?
if you are ocd ahout the oil but not about the fuel better sit down and resolve that discrepency. meanwhile im going to enjoy this Saturday instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back