Mobil Super 5K 5W-20, 2015 Pentastar, 6598 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 Chrysler 200S with the Pentastar V6, 6598 miles over a 7 month period starting early December. The car sees mostly heavy stop and go driving on the DC/N VA/MD beltway where the 15 mile trip to work can routinely take 1-2 hours. This run had one round trip to Charlotte. (maybe 1000 miles) OLM was at 26% at time of change. Sump holds 6 quarts and a 5 qt jug of MS5K 5W-20 was used along with one quart of MS5K 5W-30. Chrysler allows for either 5W-20 or 30 in this application. No make up oil added. This was the 2nd run on the Wix oil filter, which looked fine and had a total of 15,252 miles on it. The same oil type & a new Wix filter was installed at change. We changed the oil early because the car was leaving for it's new permanent home in Texas. The commute time there will now be drastically shorter.

Was that a Wix Gold, Platinum or Silver?
15K on a plain Wix with those results are impressive?

Originally Posted By: pbm
Was that a Wix Gold, Platinum or Silver?
15K on a plain Wix with those results are impressive?

It was the least expensive Wix that fit the car on RockAuto. Part # WL10010

Mobil conventional has a unique formula. Its the only combination of Titanium (like Castrol Edge) and Sodium (like Valvoline, Shaeffers) I've seen.
I like how the NAPA people call sodium a "contaminant"....

Wondering why Mobil and most other companies don't just use the OLOA 55516 Oronite detergent-inhibitor (DI) package blending methods: Use the same DI package for every oil you sell, conventional, blend, synthetic, and then just blend with different grades of oil to get the specs you need.

For example, Oronite says OLOA 55516, when mixed with GroupII oil becomes an SN/GF-5 oil (Ford, Chrysler, Kia, Toyota, etc.).

Blend with GroupII/GroupIII, and its a dexos1 oil.

Blend with GroupIII, and you have a marketable "full-synthetic" that is dexos1, A5/B5, etc. motor oil.
Maybe tweak with some extra anti-oxidants and you have a "15,000 Mile Oil".
Tweak with a bit more seal conditioners and you have a "High Mileage Oil".

Could be its timing, since dexos1 Gen2 is just coming out while SN has been around for a while.
When GF-6 finally comes out (1 or 2 years), that would be a good time for oil companies to hit the reset button and have more common DI packages to cover all requirements of the marketplace, just blending in different grades of base oils to cheapen or enhance the final product.

Last edited:
Your 200S V6 is a hot-rod. They put a 295 hp engine in a 3,500 lb car. 5.7 seconds 0-60, only a half second off the 2017 Camaro V6 faster time, but thats a sports car. Hot sleeper there.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Good oil, good filter, good motor, good results, great thread, and THANKS for sharing.

YEP!!

Was that the $1.40 WIX?

I get those from Rockauto labeled as all kinds of things,
But as long as it says "Affinia... Gastonia, NC" I know it's a WIX!
thumbsup2.gif

I'm surprised how well the oil held up. Those engines must be easy on oil.

Last edited:
Maybe so - but it is a good conventional - BIL ran it 400k in 1500 GM V8 before the trans acted up - no engine problems ...

Originally Posted By: bigt61
It came in a Wix box - RockAuto currently sells it for $4.34.

Good filter for the price, I get the same Wix WL10010 for $3.85 @ Discount Fleet Supply for the wife's Jeep Cherokee V-6. Can't beat it IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back