1982 th400 in rv with 10 year old fluid in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it safe to say i need to change this fluid and filter?

The rv has been used maybe 5/6 k in the last few years when it was brought back to life.

My real question is If you guys would add anything to the fresh atf to maybe condition it?

Its in a p30 chassis. 84k miles total

No, if you do a fluid change and filter change just use a good quality fluid, no additives necessary.

It might not even need a fluid change, but it's probably not a bad idea.

The fluid is clean and red.

I don't wanna do a swap if i don't have to. if i do end up doing it,i was going to collect the fluid and use it as upper cylinder lubricant ( its that clean )

TH400's NEED the filter changed periodically!!! They are NOT screens.
I have seen my fare share of TH400's pulled into my shop on a hook with a wadded-up/clogged-up filter.

It's also a good time to replace the Suction Tube O-Ring & get all the brass out of the pan.

Use a Filtran Filter & a Farpak/Duroprene Fiber Pan Gasket, Torque the Filter hold down bolt & pan bolts to 96 Inch Pounds. Filter, O-ring, & Gasket

Can you explain what makes the filter kit special? I bought a kit from oriley. Not sure if it has that oring but the filter and gasket look similar

The filter in the link is (suppose to be) a Filtran filter, That's what GM/Hydramatic/Allison use from the factory.

The gasket is a fiber matrix gasket, It has to be kept flat during shipping/packaging....It cannot be folded up into a box, This is the reason auto part stores don't carry them.
GM started using this style gasket later in the TH400/3L80 production to eliminate leaks.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
The filter in the link is (suppose to be) a Filtran filter, That's what GM/Hydramatic/Allison use from the factory.

The gasket is a fiber matrix gasket, It has to be kept flat during shipping/packaging....It cannot be folded up into a box, This is the reason auto part stores don't carry them.
GM started using this style gasket later in the TH400/3L80 production to eliminate leaks.

I returned my fk106 filter kit and bought that one.

I vividly remember selling my suburban 1 year after replacing the pan and the rubber seal was leaking/ cracked / split.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back