Questions on Bypass filtration and the OLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am less than 3 months, and under 5000km into my 5W40 SS synthetic oil with the FS2500 and I am getting a "change oil soon" message on my dash. I don't have EGR nor my exhaust filter so I had figured I ought to get a decent life out of my oil. This is the first time I've had my OLM suggest an oil change and it feels really early into the life of my oil. I had hoped to get 6 months or more before having to do another oil change.

When you run bypass filtration, does your oil life monitor become confused? I do mostly around city driving, and a bit of highway. According to my bullydog tuner my oil gets up to 70deg Celsius every trip.

I am not loving my FS2500 either. It's fairly compact and was super easy to setup, but my oil is always black. I had higher hopes for it when I bought it. I'm leaning against both the fs2500 and the Amsoil bypass filters because they use a pleated media type filter, and towards some of the more solid media bypass oil filters such as ... just about any other. Parker/Racor, 1world filter, Frantz

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WallyMaven
When you run bypass filtration, does your oil life monitor become confused?

Your vehicle has no idea you have a bypass filter installed. The OLM does not analyze the oil in the crankcase. It just does some math going by sensor data and some preconfigured tables to decide when your oil needs changing.

What you do is that an oil sample and have it avaylized to see if the oil is suitable for futher use. I guess you bought the bp filter with out knowing.

I don't have EGR nor my exhaust filter so I had figured I ought to get a decent life out of my oil. This is the first time I've had my OLM suggest an oil change and it feels really early into the life of my oil. I had hoped to get 6 months or more before having to do another oil change.

I am not loving my FS2500 either. It's fairly compact and was super easy to setup, but my oil is always black. I had higher hopes for it when I bought it. I'm leaning against both the fs2500 and the Amsoil bypass filters because they use a pleated media type filter,

I'm running an Amsoil bypass on 3 semi trucks eabp 120 is my filter very large, I have approximately 30,000 miles on all three trucks none of them have EGR the oil is not clear it is still black you still have soot, and think about it these trucks stay hot running 14 hours a day that's a lot of time for that filter to do it's magic. I haven't tried Amsoil yet in this testing however I am very happy with the Schaeffer 9000 so far seeing excellent fuel gains almost half a mile per gallon, that is a lot in the trucking world. Something else for you to look into I'm running the synthetic Donaldson blue oil filters you may want to check for your application these are full flow filters,
So far I have 30,000 miles on three trucks 90k total

Last edited:
All correct:

1) Vehicle does not know there's a bypass installed and

2) You cannot know when to change the oil without a UOA; which leads to

3) Once you have performed some UOAs you will know your interval and can reset your OLM accordingly.

I am in the middle of this now. I changed oil as instructed to by OLM on my Ford for the first few oil changes. During last oil change I installed a bypass filter setup with Amsoil bypass filter. Only the filter is Amsoil, not the kit. My OLM just came on. I sampled the oil and sent it to NAPA testing. Should get results in next day or so. If continue use of oil is suggested I will change normal filter and continue. If the oil needs to be changed then I will do that.

Have T6 oil (CJ-4) in the vehicle.

Last edited:
My oil used to go black fairly quick, usually in 1,500 miles, I thought I’d slap on a FilterMag after dropping a tranny pan and seeing how much was caught by the magnet and the condition of the ATF.

I now run 2 FilterMags plus a bunch of bar mags and I get cleaner oil and UOA with less metals for 9 months before it starts to darken, at about 8,000 miles (13,000Kms).

Key point is to see that the spin-on oil filter has 1/2 to 3/4" clearance from the block all the way around. Instead of FilterMags from the US, 6 to 8 bar mags would help for less $$.

In my case, I have no bypass filter. I decided against a bypass oil filter because I wasn’t sure I could get all the old oil out during a change where the bypass filter would still have oil it, unless you removed it for a minute to empty it and put it back.

Good PDF with pics:

“ FILTERMAG vs HOMEBREW “
https://app.box.com/s/uxvu8dmscf5wcgftutdm0ejqwgn86tw7

I appreciate the encouragement. Having never extended oil changes before, I find myself amusingly concerned for my truck. I called a local testing company yesterday, drove over and left an engine oil sample with them for testing. I guess I'll see how well my fs2500 is doing its job. I bought a Parker-Racor bypass filter some months ago from a HD mechanic who won it in a company raffle. Depending on the quality of my UOA I may mount it instead of the fs2500.

Are there any bypass filters that filter heavily enough to maintain a cleaner look to the oil? I looked at the Puradyn option but I didn't like its use of power, and its need for a gravity drain to the engine. I have no room in the engine bay to mount it up high.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

In my case, I have no bypass filter. I decided against a bypass oil filter because I wasn’t sure I could get all the old oil out during a change where the bypass filter would still have oil it, unless you removed it for a minute to empty it and put it back.

Good PDF with pics:

“ FILTERMAG vs HOMEBREW “

I enjoyed the PDF thanks.

With regards to old oil in the bypass filter, when the time comes for an oil change, I plan to replace both my bypass filter cartridge and my full flow filter. Every week or so I take a knee beside my driver's door and reach underneath the truck to put a hand on my FS2500, and it's always hot to the touch. It must still be doing its job moving oil through.

Last edited:
I appreciate the encouragement. Having never extended oil changes before, I find myself amusingly concerned for my truck. I called a local testing company yesterday, drove over and left an engine oil sample with them for testing. I guess I'll see how well my fs2500 is doing its job. I bought a Parker-Racor bypass filter some months ago from a HD mechanic who won it in a company raffle. Depending on the quality of my UOA I may mount it instead of the fs2500.

Are there any bypass filters that filter heavily enough to maintain a cleaner look to the oil? I looked at the Puradyn option but I didn't like its use of power, and its need for a gravity drain to the engine. I have no room in the engine bay to mount it up high.

“ FILTERMAG vs HOMEBREW “[/B]

I enjoyed the PDF thanks.

With regards to old oil in the bypass filter, when the time comes for an oil change, I plan to replace both my bypass filter cartridge and my full flow filter. Every week or so I take a knee beside my driver's door and reach underneath the truck to put a hand on my FS2500, and it's always hot to the touch. It must still be doing its job moving oil through.

Are we talking a gas or diesel engine? If diesel the oil will turn black quickly and a bypass filter will not help with the oil color but I would not worry about oil color.

As for oil oil staying in the filter, it's not like a car with 5 qts, many diesel engines have several gallons of oil. So 1 qt of old out of 14 qt new is not a big deal. If really concerned, change the bypass when you change your oil.

Oil changes are not cheap in a diesel engine. I need $80 worth of synthetic oil plus $12 for a filter and then the bypass filter every other oil change.

Ah I should have included this in my initial post. My truck is a 2013 Ford 6.7l diesel fully deleted. I've got about 160,000 km on the truck so far. I am running Amsoil 5w40 signature series synthetic with an Amsoil full flow filter and an FS2500 bypass filter plumbed in returning oil through the drain plug hole. It costs me about $150 in oil, $30 for my full flow filter, and $60 for my fs2500 filter cartridge to do a full oil and filter change. I've had this setup on my truck for the past 3 months or so.

Last edited:
Well you're out of warranty (or at least presumed so unless you've got an extended warranty) ...

So you should be doing UOAs and tracking the lube in that manner.

Of all the data I've seen, one BP system is about as good as another. They all are very, very effective down to about 3um or a bit less. While some brands claim to be able to filter "sub-micron" in size, they are not telling you about what efficiency exists. They are all going to be absolute at 3um or so. So the brand really does not matter in terms of performance.

I would select a BP system based on a combination of the initial cost, replacement element costs, east of attainment, etc.

You're going to struggle to get a 6.7L PSD, using Amsoil and BP, to ever make a payout in terms of ROI.

I get it; I've heard it a thousand times before ...
"But Dave - my truck is expensive and I want it to last forever!"
Yada yada yada ...

An OCI costs you $240! And that does not include UOAs you should be doing!
I hope you're getting your money's worth!

Why not take some UOAs, and then contrast them to someone else's data (suggest rr1)? See if you're getting the value out of your investment?
If you can show a statistically significant difference, then I'll be impressed.
Until then, label me a skeptic.

A bypass filter will not change any reason the Ford Powerstroke will be sold off before its time. How many properly maintained vehicles have ever reached their forever time? Rust, trans going out collision bye bye. If you do commercial transport well maybe there will be a benefit with the bypass.

The things you say are mostly accurate, I have no arguments with your statements. I bought my other bypass filter new but cheap from a local guy who won it at a company raffle. ($150) for the bypass canister plus an additional $60 or so in connections and hydraulic hoses. I am considering setting it up for a bypass on my transmission fluid but it may be too much. I'd like to look into adding a filter to my radiator fluid as well.

Considering that the entire bypass matter got me into the ideas of maintaining my truck properly and managing the lubes, I consider It to be well worth the cost since it began my interest and education into intelligent management of my oil change intervals. I'll continue to listen to those who know more than I do, and learn how to properly manage the lube service on all my vehicles and those of my immediate family (all ladies. The bypass will do no harm to my truck.

I just received my first UOA for my truck and will compare it to others in the UOA section of the forum. All numbers are normal except calcium which I may have contaminated a bit when I cracked a line open fo drain off some oil into the sample bottle. I opened a fitting pre-bypass and bled oil into the sample bottle, and it's possible there were remnants of road salt on the metal connection that I split open.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
A bypass filter will not change any reason the Ford Powerstroke will be sold off before its time. How many properly maintained vehicles have ever reached their forever time? Rust, trans going out collision bye bye. If you do commercial transport well maybe there will be a benefit with the bypass.

Yeah, I'm trying but I won't make it. I have no bypass filters and I'm using the rock catcher Toyota OEM filters but the rust and other issues are going to win. I think 400K is going to be it for the Sienna although the engine is still in very good condition and uses only a quart about every 4000 miles.

I'm pretty easy on my vehicles, and I'm sure my truck will last quite awhile, bypass or no. But I don't want to spend $240 at Jiffylube every 4 months or so just blindly changing the oil. My bypass filter is part of my efforts to prolong my oil changes as long as possible. I'll continue to reset my OLM on my truck and take oil samples every time it sends me an alert. I intend to continue using the same oil until those samples indicate a need to change it.

I understand I could do all this without a bypass filter, but the filter is bought and paid for so I may as well let it do its job.

I'm pretty easy on my vehicles, and I'm sure my truck will last quite awhile, bypass or no. But I don't want to spend $240 at Jiffylube every 4 months or so just blindly changing the oil. My bypass filter is part of my efforts to prolong my oil changes as long as possible. I'll continue to reset my OLM on my truck and take oil samples every time it sends me an alert. I intend to continue using the same oil until those samples indicate a need to change it.

I understand I could do all this without a bypass filter, but the filter is bought and paid for so I may as well let it do its job.

I applaud your sense of experiment and commitment to extensions! While you may not reach as true ROI payout point, you'll do far better than those who OCI frequently even when using BP units.

There's nothing wrong with playing for the fun of it. The point that stands out to me is that you seem to understand there may not be a true payout, but the journey is part of the emotional payback. I have no problem with that. The only time I get wound up is when guys state some form of "BP filtration is always better and my ride will now last forever"; as if they had any real ability to keep the car/truck/van/tractor/etc past a "normal" lifecycle in the first place.

BP filters are about making lubes last longer in service, to a degree that satisfies an agreeable measure of wear protection for the equipment. Nothing more, nothing less. For BP filtration to make sense, it has to do that task AND make fiscal choices pay off. If it cannot do those, it does not make sense to use.

But emotional joys often have no fiscal limits or meet logical measures ...

Have at it and have fun with it!

Post up your UOAs; love to see good data, especially from well managed oil extensions!

Lol this old, old thread didn't age well. Fast forward to today (2018) and bypass filters are now one of the most desired upgrades for any truck owner. Found this by looking up the company i'm buying a filter from and i'm positive it's going to be one of the best upgrades i've ever made. Will document and post my installation soon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald

Oil changes are not cheap in a diesel engine. I need $80 worth of synthetic oil plus $12 for a filter and then the bypass filter every other oil change.

You are almost there... Being on BITOG, bypass filter, OCD about oil changes. Now we need to get you looking for the bargains that are out there.
Would you believe I just changed my 6.7 PowerStroke oil for 13.00?
And it's a 15w40 synthetic blend with a Hastings filter.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back