First post: LS460 with more vibration after M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG world!

I'm a LONG time lurker and finally decided to join in. My question/observation today stems from a routine oil change on my 2012 LS460 with the 1UR-FSE engine. This vehicle is 40 miles from 100,000 and has never been seen for anything out of the ordinary. Every mile has been silky smooth and in my opinion, it's one of the smoothest riding cars I've ever driven.

For as long as I have owned the car (82,000 miles), Valvoline 0w-20 was used at Lexus dealerships in Charlotte. On my last cross country road trip I stopped in OKC and had a routine oil change completed. Before I left I confirmed myself that the oil level was normal and that everything in the engine bay looked secure (before driving 500 miles that day). As SOON as I merged onto I-40 West I felt like I had a cold air intake. Throaty throttle and increased accelerator pedal vibration (usually the engine is isolated from the car, you feel nothing but an electric like pull through the gears).

Anyone have thoughts on this? I feel like it's a sure thing I'll be back with Valvoline next time.

Thanks, Alex.

Originally Posted By: planeman223
For as long as I have owned the car (82,000 miles), Valvoline 0w-20 was used at Lexus dealerships in Charlotte. On my last cross country road trip I stopped in OKC and had a routine oil change completed. Before I left I confirmed myself that the oil level was normal and that everything in the engine bay looked secure (before driving 500 miles that day). As SOON as I merged onto I-40 West I felt like I had a cold air intake. Throaty throttle and increased accelerator pedal vibration (usually the engine is isolated from the car, you feel nothing but an electric like pull through the gears).

Anyone have thoughts on this? I feel like it's a sure thing I'll be back with Valvoline next time.

Thanks, Alex.

Yes, my thoughts are that it had nothing to do with the oil change.

M1 gets blamed for a lot of things, but this is the first time I've seen "throaty throttle" and "increased accelerator pedal vibration" being one of them.

Oh boy what a loaded first post, but welcome! Second, Mobil 1 or any oil for that matter, will not make your engine sound like it has a cold air intake and cause gas pedal vibration. Was the oil filter installed correctly? Possibly an air filter assembly issue?

Likely something else causing it or over imagined.

Originally Posted By: stower17
Oh boy what a loaded first post, but welcome! Second, Mobil 1 or any oil for that matter, will not make your engine sound like it has a cold air intake and cause gas pedal vibration. Was the oil filter installed correctly? Possibly an air filter assembly issue?

Likely something else causing it or over imagined.

It has since smoothed out (maybe I'm just getting used to it). I have checked my air intakes and filter. Nothing looks out of the ordinary to me. I'll likely use this opportunity to post a UOA with Valvoline at 85k vs M1 at 102k and report back.

Since it looks like you probably do not do any of your own oil changes and probably maintenance, no telling what the oil change monkey might have disturbed on the last oil change.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Since it looks like you probably do not do any of your own oil changes and probably maintenance, no telling what the oil change monkey might have disturbed on the last oil change.

Well it was done at a Lexus dealership but... that might not mean much
smirk.gif

Who did the last oil change - a Lexus dealer or another shop? My guess either something got moved and not reconnected/reinstalled, a bad tank of gas, or something weird enough but not enough to trigger the CEL.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Who did the last oil change - a Lexus dealer or another shop? My guess either something got moved and not reconnected/reinstalled, a bad tank of gas, or something weird enough but not enough to trigger the CEL.

Yes how do you know they put M1 in and not chocolate milk? Always do your own oil changes. Always.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Your car is basically totalled better sell it to me on the cheap while u still can....
smile.gif

An LS400 owner who wants a 460? Now I've seen everything.

Here's a thought. Maybe your Lexus, which is just 40 miles shy of 100,000, is losing it's smoothness to age and wear. Maybe it's reacting badly to operating conditions like pinging and it's retarding intake valve timing with throttle plate pegged open (the modern version of retarding ign timing), that would explain the 'throaty sound' and possibly the vibration.

IDK what the accelerator pedal mounting situation is on your lexus, but a modern Toyota Corolla seems to have it's pedals mounted to a piece of cardboard- press/release it, it sounds cheap as garbage. Both being DBW there is no direct mechanical connection between the drivetrain and the pedal, so it would be whatever the pedals mounted to that's possibly being excited by vibrations.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Here's a thought. Maybe your Lexus, which is just 40 miles shy of 100,000, is losing it's smoothness to age and wear. Maybe it's reacting badly to operating conditions like pinging and it's retarding intake valve timing with throttle plate pegged open (the modern version of retarding ign timing), that would explain the 'throaty sound' and possibly the vibration.

IDK what the accelerator pedal mounting situation is on your lexus, but a modern Toyota Corolla seems to have it's pedals mounted to a piece of cardboard- press/release it, it sounds cheap as garbage. Both being DBW there is no direct mechanical connection between the drivetrain and the pedal, so it would be whatever the pedals mounted to that's possibly being excited by vibrations.

I sure hope not Pete because at 100,000 miles, this Toyota V8 is barely broken in.

Vibration on normally smooth vehicles is often mechanical in nature. For example, the air filter housing is installed incorrectly, and buzzing against something, or simply pulled tight and transmitting a bit of shake to the car body. Another example, but I've seen it, is an aluminum air conditioning tube was bent during maintenance and rubbing against the firewall. Really, could be anything.

Engines vibrate and shake a little (yes, even the best ones) , engine mounts isolate the shake. The result is a smooth feel. When something can transfer that vibration, it can be bothersome

I don't believe it's the oil. Typically an oil change will result in a smoother engine.

Just an FYI, as a pilot of a small plane, I am always aware that a perceived slight engine vibration or buzzing is almost always the result of something rubbing. Not the engine itself. A real and true sudden vibration in a small aircraft engine is always severe enough to scare!

Valvoline 0w20 (including MaxLife) always smoothened out all engines that were previously on Mobil 1 0w20. Mobil 1 tries really hard to gain an extra 0.01MPG by lowering viscosity, and as result their 0w20 oil makes the engines sound and feel like sewing machines. Stick with Valvoline. Better yet - Valvoline MaxLife 0w20.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Valvoline 0w20 (including MaxLife) always smoothened out all engines that were previously on Mobil 1 0w20. Mobil 1 tries really hard to gain an extra 0.01MPG by lowering viscosity, and as result their 0w20 oil makes the engines sound and feel like sewing machines. Stick with Valvoline. Better yet - Valvoline MaxLife 0w20.

How much lower is the vis with M1 0-20 compared to Valvo 0-20? How long did you use M1 0-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back