16 Tacoma 3.5L Mag1 0w20 9,018mi w/TBN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a sample from my good friends 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport with the 3.5L 2GR-FKS engine. This run included multiple short trips, multiple road trips and about 500 miles towing ~6,000 pounds. Oil was changed @ 2,500 miles and ~5,000 miles with MAG1 0w20 both previous changes. Filter in use is a Fram OCOD (orange cartridge of death). It will be going in for a dealership oil change next week. Once he gets to 20,000 miles he's planning on switching to a Fram Ultra with Red Line 0w20 for 10,000 OCI.

With a great report like that, whats the advantage of using Red Line besides spending more money? Only 1k more miles with plenty of life in that MAG 1 and great wear results.

I'd stick with the Mag1....it's working well. He could use Mag1's cousin, Walmart ST synthetic 5w20, since the difference would be negligible in Florida (except he saves a few bucks).
With 3.1 TBN remaining it seems this oil could easily do 10K in his application.

Don't waste your money on Red Line oil run that Mag or whatever is more cost effective you will get sick of the truck before the motor wears out! Heck if you lived in Massachusetts it would rust out around you before the motor wears out!

The Red Line is because he wants to run it. I don't see any harm in that. I was really impressed with the performance of the MAG 1 in his truck, Warren makes really good oils! The truck is staying with me in FL while he is deployed overseas for a year, then it will be headed to his next duty station with him next July.

I agree that he could continue running MAG 1 for 10k OCI but if he doesn't mind spending the money it's hard to say that Red Line wouldn't also be excellent for his application, especially when he retires in a few years and heads back to Michigan.

This oil analysis suggests the engineering and design of the engine trumps the type of oil as I don't remember a bad oil analysis from any Tacoma truck regardless of the engine or the year.

I was pleased to see wear metals so close to universal averages this early in the engines life. It should provide him with years of faithful service. I'm always amazed how little metal Toyota engines shed.

I suspect that the two early changes helped with flushing out break in metal resulting in a good report here at 14,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Great numbers for a new engine.

Exactly what I was thinking. Especially towing 6k with a 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: CT8
Great numbers for a new engine.

Exactly what I was thinking. Especially towing 6k with a 0W-20.

The truck does have the towing package which included HD cooling as well as an oil cooler. It actually tows incredibly well for a small V-6 in a pickup, I was rather impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back