Anyone tried Potauto filters ?

Was looking for a set of air filters - cabin and engine - for both my cars and for the first time came across this brand called PotAuto on amazon. Reviews and price were good so thought I'd give it a try. They arrived couple of days ago and I was quite positively surprised by the build quality of these filters. The frame, media all seem to be good quality.
What I also like was they were packaged nicely like a good quality branded product, in a good box with the filter inside a sealed plastic bag, reminder labels and instructions. Unlike the half torn plain white box, filter included. This shows the company is serious about its products.
Thought I'd share this here.

I only see cabin air filters from them.
Are they some kind of China Great Wall Central Dragon Loong Golden Horse Chun-Li Shang Tsung Johnny Cage Hong Kong Phooey Charlie Chan Up-Down-Left-Right-A-C-Start Dong Feng Five Gorges Dam Eight Treasures Rice Long March Three Scream Rat All You can Eat Giant Wave Eastern Wind Love You Long Time Wo Shan Yingji Hongqi Lao Tzu Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere People's Liberation Army Navy Air Force Second Artillery Corps Liaoning Eastern Wisdom 2000 Mark Eight fly by night brand?

well its made in china if thats what you are asking. But then again what isn't ? including the keyboard you typed that on, and the screen you are staring at this on, and everything in between.
{edit:} and yes they make engine air filters too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
Was looking for a set of air filters - cabin and engine - for both my cars and for the first time came across this brand called PotAuto on amazon. Reviews and price were good so thought I'd give it a try. They arrived couple of days ago and I was quite positively surprised by the build quality of these filters. The frame, media all seem to be good quality.
What I also like was they were packaged nicely like a good quality branded product, in a good box with the filter inside a sealed plastic bag, reminder labels and instructions. Unlike the half torn plain white box, filter included. This shows the company is serious about its products.
Thought I'd share this here.

You and me both! I need two cabin air filters and 1 engine air filter. I saw the cheaper carbon-infused PotAuto (cute, right?, 'potato'), weird funny named filter thing.

I haven't bought one yet, was just gonna get to Walmart later and pick up some Fram stuff.

Fram "Fresh Breeze" baking soda + carbon Cabin Air Filter is just 5 bucks more than the next cheapest carbon-infused ATP brand cabin air filter.

The PotAuto I think I saw on RockAuto, but I don't like their shipping charges, so that one is a "no-go" for me.

Bosch makes a cool HEPA cabin air filter which might be better than a baking soda + carbon one, not sure. Tempting to get the Bosch from Amazon.

Fram engine air filter is definitely superior, since it is the ONLY air filter, of any brand, that has wire-backing across the element (maybe not needed, as nobody else does this, but I like the extra effort Fram makes here).

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
LOL! What a name for a filter.

I can see it now - "I bought a Potauto cabin air filter, and asked my dealership to install it. They completely crushed it putting it in. Now I have a mashed Potauto!"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
well its made in china if thats what you are asking. But then again what isn't ? including the keyboard you typed that on, and the screen you are staring at this on, and everything in between.
{edit:} and yes they make engine air filters too.
I've bought the cheapest chinese-prisoner-made cabin air filters in the past, yet this time I'd like to go for carbon-infused or maybe the good Bosch HEPA.
Thats the difference I see between the PotAuto you got and what I might want. Its a judgement call. A few bucks extra.
Although, to be fair, both the Fram and Bosch are also made in china. We can't win. ... Still, built to better specs; better media.

Last edited:
Bosch HEPA cabin air filter claims:
"Bosch Cabin Air Filters are designed and tested to meet High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) standards based on test standard ASTM D2986, and provides filtration efficiency of 99.97% at 0.3 microns*. "

Fram Fresh Breeze cabin filter claims:
98% for particles 5-100 microns .... but the carbon in there should get sub-micron chemical (fumes, cig smoke, etc.)????
"Baking soda is used in FRAM Fresh Breeze® cabin air filters to help adsorb odors that may enter through your vehicles vent system1. We chose Arm and Hammer® baking soda because of the brand's commitment to quality.
1Deodorizing tests used isovalenic acid (sweaty odors) geosmin (earthy odors) and dog hairs"

Disgusting.
37.gif

Don't know which to get. Bosch sounds too good to be true. Really? 0.3 microns?

Last edited:

I can see it now - "I bought a Potauto cabin air filter, and asked my dealership to install it. They completely crushed it putting it in. Now I have a mashed Potauto!"

You say Potauto, I say Potato.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

You say Potauto, I say Potato.

LOL, exactly , I glanced over it and asked "What's a potato filter ?"
grin.gif

I think air and cabin filters are easy to overthink but they seem to be the same media/quality and I dont notice much difference between brands. Regardless id bet i change em too often anyways..once a year for air and twice a year for cabin. I buy the cheapest i can get.

POTauto and Cabin air filter makes me think of a Cheech and Chong commercial. You need some fresh POT air from your POT auto filter MAAANNNNNNN!!! Right on!!!!!

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I think air and cabin filters are easy to overthink but they seem to be the same media/quality and I dont notice much difference between brands. Regardless id bet i change em too often anyways..once a year for air and twice a year for cabin. I buy the cheapest i can get.

There is a difference between cabin air filters. The Bosch HEPA cabin air filters have very tight performance specs. (See my post above.) I decided on that vs. the also-exceptional Fram cabin air filter. Ordered 2 Bosch HEPA filters.

As for air filters, its very difficult to compare whats best. Fram does have wire backing, so ordered 1 of those.

Got the Bosch HEPA 0.3 micron cabin air filter put in. Get the Bosch if you can, and don't mind paying a few extra dollars more.
That is an incredible, premium product. Very thick, cottony depth filter.

3 kinds of cabin air filters:
1. Plain paper -- works OK, cheap.
2. Carbon infused paper filter -- the Fram one might be best.
3. HEPA (Bosch) -- wow, traps small stuff

or you could stuff potato's in the housing....

OK, seriously guys, I have a very good and very wide ranging sense of humor and did enjoy all the jokes about the name PotAuto, but I was looking for some serious answers about these filters. The biggest surprise I did find in this thread was someone saying " Fram "Fresh Breeze" baking soda + carbon Cabin Air Filter is just 5 bucks more than the next cheapest carbon-infused ATP brand cabin air filter."

I have used the Fram fresh breeze filters & like them, but the cheapest I can find the 11664, which actually fits 3 of my vehicles, is $31.00 each, on Amazon, $39.00 in local auto stores! That is insane.

I run 5 cars at any given time here, and when parking them outside, rodents are a big problem! Nothing worse than turning on the fan or A/C to be blasted in the face with mouse or chipmunk [censored] infused air!

Seems there is not a car manufacturer anywhere that will take the time and a few measly dollars it would cost them to mesh out all the airway openings in any model of car to keep rodents from finding their way inside the cars to nest on top of the cabin air filters. On every car I have owned, except the last one I purchased (will be out there today doing that one) I remove the cowling and install metal fine-mesh or wire screen over all the openings blocking their entry into the air system. I also do the same on all the cold air intake to filter boxes. It really does make the filters last a lot longer and no more foul oders. I put a brand new filter in the cabin the day I purchased it and 4000 miles later got the wonderful smelling blast of air I just described!

Anyway, at these insane prices for a cabin filters, especially when you are as fanatical as I am about changing Air & Cabin filters & Wipers as I am, it's only normal for anyone to be searching for cheaper solutions, hence my googling for opinions and finding this very funny but not very informative opinions on these "potato" filters. Like I said, loved the jokes but hoped for more help. Was a great mood lifter though!

20160622_134429_HDR.jpg

20160622_134444_HDR.jpg

20160622_134756_HDR.jpg

20160622_135247_HDR.jpg

Back