PUP 5w-30 - 4,000 miles - 2017 WRX STI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally, I wasn't planning on sending a sample of this oil change in, but, said why the he'll not. Performed the oil change at the end of May, and just got around to sending the sample in.

The next oil change is due in some 150 miles; in which, I'll be sending a sample in for too (also PUP 5w-30). I'm really eager to see the report on this next one since it compromised of: a road trip totaling some 1,800 miles to Tennessee from Florida, tail of The dragon at deals gap being my destination that I wanted to visit on the way up with this particular vehicle since I had been there before on the last road trip. The reason I was somewhat eager to see this next report was because the STI not only saw the typical daily drive to and from work with UOA that I had posted in the past; it also had the long stretch of highway driving; along with the some mild spirited driving on the mountain curves that it's not accustomed to in Florida.

Due to the price of PUP going up significantly from when I had initially purchased a few jugs of, I decided to change up the oil choice to a more stout oil. This next oil change, I will have Motul X-clean 5w-30 FE going in, so, you can expect a UOA on that when the time comes.

Anyway, enjoy!

Last edited:
I'm not sure why Copper doubled from the first factory-fill oil to the next two oil changes.
Is this really typical of STI engines?

WRX STI still have the OLD school EJ series engines.. many known issues esp. if tuned up.

I'd hesitate to call it a problem yet
Luckily you have plenty of warranty left
keep going a couple more OCI with oil analysis.

I do think you should definitely put a thicker oil in..
Rotella T6 5w40 would be my top recommendation.

I am not a thick/thin person but EJ series turbo engines are known to "like" thicker oil.

A High power density turbo engine can dump large amounts of heat into the oil... and oil shearing to a 20wt.. I wouldnt want to be pushing that engine with that thin of an oil.
probably ok putt putting to the grocery store.
This engine begs for a thicker oil for any kind of spirited driving... even including on ramp blasts.

I thought copper was used in the oil cooler for some Subaru's. If so, likely just break in remnants.

Originally Posted By: stower17
I thought copper was used in the oil cooler for some Subaru's. If so, likely just break in remnants.

Except its going up. 78-176-187

Maybe the first one was a dud test.

I do think we need another data point or 2.

Running this engine on oil sheared to a 20wt wont help wear
at least starting with a 5w40 you shouldnt end up below a 30wt.
PUP 5w30 is a great oil.. just not a great choice for this engine. IMO.

A 290hp Pentastar v6 or a hemi? no problem. A old design turbo EJ not optimal.

I agree with Rand....run a thicker oil...a 5w40 or even 0w40 would most likely suffice.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I agree with Rand....run a thicker oil...a 5w40 or even 0w40 would most likely suffice.

I would think Rotella T6 5w40 would be an excellent choice for that engine.

It completely slipped my mind that it was on this oil sample I had installed a oil pressure gauge; in which, I had installed first: then started the car a few times and let it run checking for leaks and gauge operation before doing the oil change; so maybe the oil galley plug had something to do with the contribution to the increase in cooper value, of course that's my logical take on it.

At this point with what I see, I'm not alarmed; all the other values are actually great as far as wear goes. My speculation is that with the oil pressure gauge install along with the cooper oil cooler is the culprit (see below).

Yes, the STI oil cooler is made from a what appears to be a big hunk of cooper.

s-l1600.jpg

As far as modifications; the car only has a axle-back exhaust - it's stock other than that. Also running the Motul oil I stated I was going to use is going out of the realm of what I originally was comfortable using initially: that being said I will not use a grade or API spec that's not recommended in the owners manual - the Motul X-clean 5W-30 FE meets API SN with the proper oil grade as per the owners manual. As far as the reason for switching was the price of PUP going up in price significantly; and some slight oil consumption after 3,000 - 3,500 miles on the same oil interval.

Last edited:
I have a 2014 WRX, I too was skeptical about using a 5W-40 oil, but I made the switch. I have done a TON of reading on this. You can do what you want but the reason it says 5W-30 is for gas milage here in the states. In Japan they want you to use 5W-40. It's an older design and it wants the thicker oil. If I was to go with 5W-30 the Motul would be a good choice. An option you can do is top it with 40 weight between changes, the manual says you can do that.

Could be (better hope) the oil cooler is elevating the copper reading. If you want to try a 40 grade but want it to say 5w30 on the bottle to make you feel warm and cuddly, go with a 5w30 that is a3/b4 rated. Castrol edge have such a 5w30 oil. I think they state euro spec or something on the bottle but it's basically just within the limits of 30 grade.

2017 STi owner here as well.

I asked my dealer about this, and they told me I was fine using an API approved 5w30 even if it isn't the exact API SN spec. I'm using Motul X-Clean 5w-30 - https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/8100-x-clean-5w30 - which had the highest HTHS at 3.5 of really any API-approved oil I could find. I asked about using a 5w-40, but was told by my dealer that I'd have warranty issues using that grade even with an oil change history at the dealership.

Subuaru has seen so many of these EJs blow up they'll do just about anything they can to get out of a warranty repair. I have the E-Mail saved from the service advisor just in case I spin a bearing or something and get some flack for using an API SM spec'd oil. Drained the factory fill at 1k, I'm a couple hundred miles from doing my next oil change at 3k miles, but I don't plan on doing my first UOA until I get to the first full 3k mile interval at the 6k mile mark. We'll see how she looks.

Originally Posted By: Coogles
I asked about using a 5w-40, but was told by my dealer that I'd have warranty issues using that grade even with an oil change history at the dealership.

That's funny. I just posted this on NASIOC.

The Owner's Manual does state:

Quote:
In choosing an oil, you want the proper quality and viscosity, as well as one that will enhance fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine. The following table lists the recommended viscosities and applicable temperatures.

https://stis.subaru.com/proxy/150104/pdf/ownerManual/150104_2018_WRX/MSA5M1805ASTIS_17.pdf

In the event of an actual warranty claim, the dealer will probably asks for oil receipts. The District Service Operations Manager (area SoA rep) may want to review those receipts and the car as well before agreeing to cover a claim under warranty. All of this ambiguity in the manual is what has owners, dealers, and even SoA confused. I was going back and forth with someone in SoA's Customer Dealer Services searching high and low for "conventional 5W40". He wasn't successful.

But it all comes down to what your dealer says and how much they will have your back on a warranty claim and if you want to challenge SoA and/or your dealer. There are people out there that even have all oil changes performed at the dealer and dealers try to get out of warranty work by blaming the owner for abuse or failing to check their oil levels on a regular basis.

Non GF5 Motul X Clean is actually an upgrade choice at many dealers (more popular In CA and Canada). I hope no one pushes this oil too hard at 6k intervals without uoa's. 5k intervals are safest on a C3 oil in a Subaru turbo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: Coogles
I asked about using a 5w-40, but was told by my dealer that I'd have warranty issues using that grade even with an oil change history at the dealership.

That's funny. I just posted this on NASIOC.

The Owner's Manual does state:

Quote:
In choosing an oil, you want the proper quality and viscosity, as well as one that will enhance fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine. The following table lists the recommended viscosities and applicable temperatures.

https://stis.subaru.com/proxy/150104/pdf/ownerManual/150104_2018_WRX/MSA5M1805ASTIS_17.pdf

In the event of an actual warranty claim, the dealer will probably asks for oil receipts. The District Service Operations Manager (area SoA rep) may want to review those receipts and the car as well before agreeing to cover a claim under warranty. All of this ambiguity in the manual is what has owners, dealers, and even SoA confused. I was going back and forth with someone in SoA's Customer Dealer Services searching high and low for "conventional 5W40". He wasn't successful.

But it all comes down to what your dealer says and how much they will have your back on a warranty claim and if you want to challenge SoA and/or your dealer. There are people out there that even have all oil changes performed at the dealer and dealers try to get out of warranty work by blaming the owner for abuse or failing to check their oil levels on a regular basis.

Non GF5 Motul X Clean is actually an upgrade choice at many dealers (more popular In CA and Canada). I hope no one pushes this oil too hard at 6k intervals without uoa's. 5k intervals are safest on a C3 oil in a Subaru turbo.

Right, it actually says "If 5w-30 synthetic oil is not available, 5w-40 conventional oil may be used if replenishment is needed but should be changed to 5w-30 synthetic oil at the next oil change." A. 5w-40 conventional doesn't exist. B. It doesn't say you can use that grade for an entire interval, only that it may be used as a top-up.

I'm keeping the car stock and sticking to 3k mile intervals. If I have an engine failure it won't be because of my oil choice, and at least I'll have covered my backside from a warranty perspective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back