String Trimmer and Blower Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a battery powered string trimmer and blower that share the same battery and charger. I have no interest in gas powered string trimmers or blower...I simply do not need the power. The yard is a typical suburban development size yard (approx 75' wide x 135' deep). I do not need the most powerful or latest and greatest. I just need something that offers good value for the money and performs well. There seems to be many options out there, but doesn't seem to be a unanimous winner. I would like to keep everything (string trimmer, blower, batteries, charger) below $300...the lower the better without purchasing junk.

What is your recommendation?

My vote is for Ryobi. While I haven't used the blower, the string trimmer is pretty good. Prices are decent too.

Heard good things about the EGO products, but I haven't had a chance to use any.

I don't have any personal experience with battery powered trimmers or blowers, but from my reading, most people are disappointed by their performance.

The size of the yard has no relevance when it comes to edging or blowing heavy stuff off. You simply need certain amount of power to perform these tasks period.

Last edited:
I have the EGO line of stuff, just a trimmer and mower so far (blower on the list for this fall). I like my EGO stuff a lot, plenty of power and very smooth. I can't personally compare it to any other brand though. I just read the online reviews and the EGO stuff typically did fairly well in the battery powered OPE shootouts, specifically for the tools I planned to purchase (mower, trimmer, blower).

It should be right in your budget, looking at Home Depot, the trimmer with 2.5Ah battery is $180 and the tool only 3-speed blower is $100. The more powerful blower is $130.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I don't have any personal experience with battery powered trimmers or blowers, but from my reading, most people are disappointed by their performance.

The size of the yard has no relevance when it comes to edging or blowing heavy stuff off. You simply need certain amount of power to perform these tasks period.

Agree 100%

Batteries just can't "empty out" fast enough to make a good blower. For $30-$40, get an electric corded one.

The trimmers are so-so. They work "ok" on light little grass leaves, but not so much on thick weed stalks.

High-draw devices like these are hard on batteries, and shorten their life considerably.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Agree 100%

Batteries just can't "empty out" fast enough to make a good blower. For $30-$40, get an electric corded one.

The trimmers are so-so. They work "ok" on light little grass leaves, but not so much on thick weed stalks.

High-draw devices like these are hard on batteries, and shorten their life considerably.

Absolutely not true. You just need to get a higher voltage setup.

Yes the 20volt types are usually somewhat anemic.

The echo 58v string trimmer is $129 refurb right now.
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/catalo...r/category/378/

If you get a decent blower they can be similar to a midrange gas blower
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-145-MPH-...8V2AH/300385645

Some of these people making suggestions.. I have a suggestion for you.. try some of the new equipment before saying its inadequate.

Yes they have some weaksauce 20v models.. but there is decent stuff out there now.

I have used both. I demo'ed the echo trimmer and its definitely fine for homeowner use.. nice and quiet too.

The blower was less useful for doing a massive yard of leaves.. but adequate for dry use.

I have a nice backpack blower pb-580t and the battery blower wasnt in the same category but it wasnt
bad compared to my hitachi rb24eat blower. More air, less mph.

Amazing for drying off a car after washing it.

Edit time expired.

just noticed that direct tools has the blower too
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/catalo...wer/category/2/

total under 300 before tax for timmer and blower.. free shipping.

includes 2 batteries.. so pretty much continuous use with a 10min break or so.

Just dont get the echo electric chainsaw it had funky issues.. with the anti-kickback and such "kicking in" for no reason etc.. maybe they will fix that.. it was amazing for an electric chainsaw except for those issues..

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Echo battery powered will be top quality. About $360 for both.

Edit: Looks like battery and charger might be sold separately. Ouch.

the refurb ones I listed both came with battery and charger.

Greenworks and kobalt 80v series are also good options.

The Milwaukee fuel trimmer is ok the only decent 20v one IMO.. and a good idea if you already have a bunch of their tools and batteries.

Rand, I agree with you 100%. 10 years ago or so, I'd probably agree with Linctex and KrisZ, but batteries nowadays, particularly the lithium variety, can put out HUGE amounts of current.

Just look at the world of power tools, 18-20V impact wrenches are approaching the power of a high end pneumatic wrench. A corded impact wrench can't achieve a comparable amount of torque.

I think the only reason I'd go with a corded model is due to price, and the only reason I'd go with a gas powered model is for run time.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC

I think the only reason I'd go with a corded model is due to price, and the only reason I'd go with a gas powered model is for run time.

The model I listed with 2 batteries the string trimmer would run endlessly.
(charges fast)

The blower would require about a 10-15min break per hour

The blower isnt for massive yards and leaves.. I have a backpack blower for that.
but they are both nice tools and not the wimpy stuff available 10 years ago.

I just got the dewalt 20v blower on amazons prime day sale. Its insanely useful since i can grab it and have instant air flow and no gas fumes. That being said it cannot compete with a gas blower for heavy use. I will keep my gas blower and this electric. I got the dewalt mostly for garage and car cleaning tasks and its great. I am heavily invested in the dewalt platform and this was almost free considering what a 5ah pack and extra charger cost alone.

I think Homeless Depot has the Dewalt 20V string trimmer and blower combo on sale for $200.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10249036-dewalt-20-volt-max-lithium-ion-trimmer-and-blower-combo-199-b-m

I have the Dewalt 20V trimmer and it's got some serious power.

5634140.attach

Last edited:
I have a Snapper 60V Leaf Blower with 2AH Battery and Charger and a Snapper 60V string trimmer with 2AH Battery and Charger from wallet mart. They do all the work I ask them to do.

Here's my experience with cordless lawn equipment; specifically the Echo 58v lineup.

I've had the Echo 58v String trimmer with a 4ah battery for more than 1.5 years, although, I don't really have much to trim compared to some people it's been great; I wouldn't go back to gas at all. But there have been occasions where I haven't trimmed the ditch for several weeks, so, when I get around to doing it the trimmer has no problem cutting through thick grass & weeds. The only problem I've encountered is the trimmer cutting out after few minutes of 100% throttle in very hot weather; if you've read reviews it's a common thing with the trimmer and the quick fix is to hold down the battery button for a few seconds to reset it - yes, it's somewhat of a inconvenience, but It doesn't bother me at all to be honest. With the 4ah battery the trimmer has lasted me on a single charge for 4-6 uses.

I also recently bought the Echo 58v leaf blower some 3-4 months ago (the updated model: 145 mph, 550CFM) when my gas blower decided to take a [censored]. I was trying to purchase the tool itself with no charger or battery like you could buy some of there other tools; but for whatever reason they didn't offer it that way, maybe because it was just released. The blower came with the 2ah battery and charger; so I have a extra charger & battery. I have no complaints with the blower at all; although with the 2ah battery it does drain quickly, especially if you use the Turbo button on the handle which is what the 145/550cfm rated specs are based on - so of course the 4ah battery is preferred, and if the blower would have come with a 4ah battery it would even be a better package.

With a 60 minute charge time on the batteries and me having 2 chargers I can utilize; it's really a great alternative to it's gas counterparts in most circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back