Dexos 1 VS dexos 1 gen 2 in 2012 Cruze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has already been discussed. My wife has a 2012 Cruze with 1.8 L ( Non turbo :) ) I have been using Mobil 1 5w-30 EP and Delco oil filter changed yearly, as the car is a short tripper driven only 6000 miles per year. I read that the Dexos 1 spec will expire soon, to be replaced by Dexos 1 Gen 2. Does anyone know if Mobil 1 will meet the new spec? I would like to stay with Mobil 1 if possible, as it is available locally at a good price.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm sure Mobil 1 will meet the new spec. However, the old spec is still valid until the beginning of September so I wouldn't expect to see many changes on store shelves until at least September. I'm sure some dexos1 gen 2 oils are already in the retail distribution pipeline already.

I wouldn't get too worked up over the dexos1 gen 2 spec for your engine. You are lucky that you have a timing belt. The 1.8 ecotecs are very easy on oil.

Mobil1 5w30 is on the list: http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/
Although, Mobil1 Annual Protection has license numbers printed on the label that don't appear on the official website list, so I think they are also Gen2.

The Mobil1 5w30 bottle or jug you buy should say Gen2 in the offical logo graphic. There might be old shelf stock that is still Gen1.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Mobil1 5w30 is on the list: http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/
Although, Mobil1 Annual Protection has license numbers printed on the label that don't appear on the official website list, so I think they are also Gen2.

The Mobil1 5w30 bottle or jug you buy should say Gen2 in the offical logo graphic. There might be old shelf stock that is still Gen1.

It's very strange to me that there aren't more M1 oils on that list (like 5W30 EP), but Mobil Super Synthetic and Super 3000 (same thing?) are well represented. Not to mention 5W30 AP having what appears to be a Gen 2 license code (believe it was D10110GH015) but not being on the list, as mentioned above.

What's up, XOM??

Originally Posted By: CT8
It really doesn't matter in your application.

BTW, I agree that using Gen 2 is not really a big concern for the OPer's vehicle.

Despite driving a Subaru, I am looking forward to seeing Gen 2 oils on the shelf. I have been concerned about LSPI in my DIT engine since I first learned about it and my level of concern jumped up when my car was recalled due to LSPI...GM had a major recall for LSPI in 1.5l DITs, so Gen 2 can't come too soon for them. It was very interesting for me to see that GM specified that only AC Delco (in the US) and Mobil 1 (in Canada) oil could be used in the affected engines after the recall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back