Federal Mogul IROX 2 Bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new bearing from Federal Mogul

https://www.plasticsnet.com/doc/federal-mogul-powertrain-debuts-irox-polymer-bearings-0001

Quote:
Federal-Mogul Powertrain is extending its crankshaft bearing portfolio with a new high performance polymeric coating, IROX® 2, that will debut at the 2017 IAA show in Frankfurt, Germany. The newly developed product provides enhanced seizure performance with steel crankshafts…

"IROX was developed for crankshafts with a standard surface finish, whereas IROX 2 is intended for crankshafts with extra smooth finish running with thinner oils," explained Gian Maria Olivetti, Chief Technology Officer, Federal-Mogul Powertrain...

The bearings have an overlay that is a PAI (Polyamide-imide) polymer resin binder containing a number of additives dispersed throughout the matrix. Developing IROX 2 involved modification of the binder system on a molecular level, coupled with subtle changes to the composition. For example, compared to IROX, IROX 2 contains no silicon carbide particles and has a higher content of a synergistic mixture of solid lubricants…

"IROX bearings are already used by 46 engine platforms around the world, with over 150 million bearings now in service, contributing to reducing engine friction and improving efficiency while also enabling the use of a lower viscosity oil," said Stefan Rittmann, Director of Technology, Bearings, Federal-Mogul Powertrain. "Rigorous testing throughout the engine speed range shows the reduction in friction when using IROX-coated bearings is bigger than that obtained by changing from 5W30 to 0W20 oil."

The new polymer-coated high-performance bearings can be applied to both light and heavy-duty engines, and are particularly effective in hybrid and start/stop applications that place additional demands on bearings through frequent re-starting. Sample bearings with the IROX 2 coating are already with customers for evaluation and series production will commence later this year..

With these bearings, what would be the elemental markers for bearing wear in a $30 UOA?

Here's something I found from a different article on Fed-Mogul's IROX line.
Quote:
Federal-Mogul’s response has been to both develop new coatings to replace lead and also introduce aluminum as a base material for heavy-duty bearings in place of bronze. The new coating material is based on iron oxide, which Federal-Mogul terms IROX. The company has developed it into a polymer-based resin coating, which is said to provide high wear resistance, help give better fatigue resistance, and optimize the interaction with lubricating oil.

So in my opinion you'd look for increased iron and aluminum.

Enhanced seizure protection? Great for Hyundai DI engines like mine that have a propensity to spin rod bearings...

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Enhanced seizure protection? Great for Hyundai DI engines like mine that have a propensity to spin rod bearings...
These bearings have specific surface finish requirements that are fairly precise and expensive to obtain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back