Oil for supercharged Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2015 Silverado with the 6.2. Owner's manual calls for 0w-20. For the first time instead of the truck motors being based off the corvette(or vice versa) the 6.2 in the truck is identical to the long block the C7 corvette. The corvette owners manual says to run 5w-30 for normal use or for track use run 15w-50.

Now for the kicker, my truck is supercharged and puts around 500 horsepower to the wheels. I'm trying to settle on an oil since my motor is under a lot more stress than the typical truck motor.

Since I live in the northeast, and my truck is a DD, it will regularly see cold starts below freezing in the winter.

I'm leaning towards using mobile 1 0w-30(though it's not dexos approved). Will this be a good compromise for cold weather starting , yet better protection when I regularly exercise all the horses.

I've looked up the oil specs on four different mobile 1 oils below, but I don't quite understand them enough. Could someone educate me or tell me if I'm on the right track in selecting 0w-30?

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-advanced-fuel-economy#0W-20

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-advanced-fuel-economy#0W-30

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1#5W-20

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1#5W-30

Mobil 1, not mobile 1
smile.gif

With that engine and power, I'd be running Castrol Edge, Mobil 1, or Pennzoil Platinum 0w-40, if you're not concerned about it being DEXOS approved. All three are easily obtainable and ~$25 or less for 5qts at walmart and amazon (when they price match).

The 0w-30 does have a good dose of PAO but it does have lower amounts of anti-wear additives.
This chart compares all the mobil 1 oils and the phosphorus and zinc levels.
https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

Does your supercharger get its oil supply from the engine? That should play into your decision if its the case.

What does the SC mfg recommend? Of the top of my head for cheap Id say BMW spec ACEA A3/B4 to start Like Motul XMAX 5w30. If things get a bit clacky after a few romps then jump to a Porsche A40 spec oil. Other than that your looking at redline 30 grades or other competition oils.

Mobile vs Mobil, haha yup, autocorrect got me!

The supercharger has it's own self contained oil supply, and the manufacturer has nothing to say about what to use in the engine. I installed it myself so I don't have a engine builder to consult.

For my understanding, why the recommendation for 0w-40? Wouldn't that be on the thick side for an engine designed for 0w-20/5w-30?

As far as not caring for dexos, since my warranty is toast, I figured it didn't matter, is that a mistake?

Synthetic 5w-30 like M1 ESP or PP 5w-30 or regular M1 5w-30

The oem has to recommend the grade of oil they tested with to get their EPA rating. Since the corvette is low volume it doesn't really impact their CAFE average and they recommended 5w-30 for better protection of an engine that makes that density of power. They sell a bunch of trucks so they had to squeeze out every MPG they could. It's the same engine. Run the 5w-30, especially if you are going to work the engine and use all those horses.

Look, 500 horsepower to the wheels WITH a supercharger, dont even think about using a 30 weight. Anyone in this thread recommending a 5W30 weight (rolls eyes) has absolutely no knowledge of high horsepower applications.

Feel free to use 5W30 if you want a spun bearing.

Id start at Mobil 0W40 and go from there.

40 weight oils are not scary monsters to be afraid of.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Look, 500 horsepower to the wheels WITH a supercharger, dont even think about using a 30 weight. Anyone in this thread recommending a 5W30 weight (rolls eyes) has absolutely no knowledge of high horsepower applications.

There are thicker 5w-30 options that could be suitable, with elevated HTHS, but they're going to be a little more difficult and/or costly to find. I'm thinking Castrol 5w-30 A3/B4, Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w-30, Red Line 5w-30, Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, that sort of thing. Compared to an ordinary A3/B4 on the shelf like M1 0w-40, though, in a sensible container size at a sensible price, that's another matter altogether.

Originally Posted By: Thetruck454
Mobile vs Mobil, haha yup, autocorrect got me!

The supercharger has it's own self contained oil supply, and the manufacturer has nothing to say about what to use in the engine. I installed it myself so I don't have a engine builder to consult.

For my understanding, why the recommendation for 0w-40? Wouldn't that be on the thick side for an engine designed for 0w-20/5w-30?

As far as not caring for dexos, since my warranty is toast, I figured it didn't matter, is that a mistake?

You state the long block is the same as the corvette, that can use 15w-50 in racing applications. This engine was not "designed" only for 0w-20 / 5w-30. If you look many of the engines used in the US that use Xw-20/30, they use much thicker oils, like 10w-40 in other countries. This "myth" of the engine was designed for this oil and the "tighter" tolerance is mostly false. Lighter oils are used strictly for fuel efficiency.

0w-40 is recommend because it is one of the best "compromise oils" out there, its got a great additive package, not horribly thick for 40wts (most shear to 30w anyway when in service) but also flows well in almost any temperature. 40wt oils also have higher Zinc/Phos limits which helps with the high performance demands.

I agree with using a good, robust oil within the factory viscosity specification,
AND
used oil analysis.

FWIW when I supercharged my former V8 Lexus LS400 with a Vortech V2, which itself got its oil fed by the motor - I didn't worry about a 'thin' viscosity oil at all. I believe I used 5w30 Mobil 1.

When I turbocharged my former 86.5 Supra, I used German Castrol 0w30, the green stuff - it was magnificent and the motor AND turbo loved it.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Feel free to use 5W30 if you want a spun bearing.

Id start at Mobil 0W40 and go from there.

40 weight oils are not scary monsters to be afraid of.

I've probably built or dyno tested over 200 engines at double or triple this power level on a Xw30 oil. No reason to be worried about a 30 oil in this application. Plenty of supercharged camaro engines living long lives on 5w30 making 600 whp.

I would probably run a Mobil 1 0w40 year round though.

To the OP your engine is different in many ways from the Corvette engine but no worries. The stock 6.2 internals are really really tough.

Running any good 5w30 or 0/5w40 will be sufficient year round. My pick for ease of locating and purchase would be M1 0w40 used with a Fram Ultra filter.

Castrol 5W-50 would be my choice for that application. The 5W will give you great cold weather start up flow, and the 50 will provide good protection when you step on that throttle.

Thetruck454;
How is the 8L90E transmission holding up with all that power in a 3 ton vehicle? Is it a 4x4 with 3.23 gears or the max-trailer with 3.42?
The GL80 locker in the back might like 80W140 instead of the factory 75w90. Stock drive shaft?

Engine oil? Good question. No doubt you want a little added protection like the Corvette on track days. Is M-1 15w50 on your radar?
One down from that is 10W40 HM then 5w40 delvac CK-4. Personally I wouldn't go below 3.9 HTHS given the vehicle's weight 'n all.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Doesn't the new 2017 ZL1 Camaro with 650hp spec a dexos1 5w-30?

Yes, but for track/competition use, they recommend running Mobil 1 15w50.

Heaviest Corvette weights a little over 3500lbs. While the truck with the same engine weights way over 5000lb+... That is 30% more weight to push around already. Now consider the aerodynamic shape of the Corvette vs Silverado. After all things are considered, the same engine is working 40%-50% harder. Plus the supercharger is putting extra stress on internal engine parts.

With all of this considered I would not run anything other than 0w40 or 5w40. Redline would be the best bet, but anything in that viscosity on the WalMart shelf will work too, within reasonable time/mileage limits. Since you are already investing in your truck, might as well get the ultimate all around engine protection with Redline 0w40.

I agree with Bubba and Vlad,do not play around with lesser oils in your application. Use a 100% full synthetic oil like Amsoil,Redline, or Royal Purple in an xxW40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back