I find it funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I find it funny that some people would never use a K&N panel filter in there stock air box but will spend $300+ on a new air intake for there car or truck with either a K&N cone filter or some other brand of cone filter does this make any sense!?

I think you're comparing apples to large, preferred special apples.

I believe people sometimes prefer disposable paper elements over the initial cost of the washable lifetime filter (with or without requisite reoiling).
The $300+ intake system has the attraction of promised added horsepower AND is marketed heavily to the "screwdriver mechanic" / high school boy.

I installed a fancy intake on my Lexus once. It had an APC cone air filter from Pep Boys, I think. It netted me a dyno-proven 70rwhp/70rwtq increase.

(It was screwed into the suction side of a Vortech V2 volute)

'I think It netted me a dyno-proven 70rwhp/70rwtq increase.'

The keyword here being 'THINK'....
crazy2.gif

You fellas didn't read the rest of my post! I only 'thought' the filter came from Pep Boys, and I'm pretty sure it was true. It was either $9.99 or $14.99. It was the only one that would fit that I could find quickly and easily.

The intake filter was attached to the supercharger I installed on that car. I was running a huge pulley with low boost because it wasn't intercooled, and it had a 10.5:1 comp ratio to start with.
NUANCE!

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
You fellas didn't read the rest of my post! I only 'thought' the filter came from Pep Boys, and I'm pretty sure it was true. It was either $9.99 or $14.99. It was the only one that would fit that I could find quickly and easily.

The intake filter was attached to the supercharger I installed on that car. I was running a huge pulley with low boost because it wasn't intercooled, and it had a 10.5:1 comp ratio to start with.
NUANCE!

Sorry, went right over my head. LOL

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
So I find it funny that some people would never use a K&N panel filter in there stock air box but will spend $300+ on a new air intake for there car or truck with either a K&N cone filter or some other brand of cone filter does this make any sense!?

The air intake tract is a larger restriction than the panel filter. It makes perfect sense.

Changing the panel filter alone will get you absolutely nothing, and changing the air intake may get you something.

When increasing an engine's horsepower beyond factory power rating, an intake system will very likely pay off. It might even be necessary at a certain point.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I installed a fancy intake on my Lexus once. It had an APC cone air filter from Pep Boys, I think. It netted me a dyno-proven 70rwhp/70rwtq increase.

(It was screwed into the suction side of a Vortech V2 volute)
With out the Vortech the increase of power would have been 68 HP.
sick.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back