Particle that is its own worst enemy discovered

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.stanford.edu/2017/07/20/evidence-particle-antiparticle/

Quote:
An experiment proposed by Stanford theorists finds evidence for the Majorana fermion, a particle that’s its own antiparticle
In a discovery that concludes an 80-year quest, Stanford and University of California researchers found evidence of particles that are their own antiparticles. These 'Majorana fermions’ could one day help make quantum computers more robust.

Still not sure what the ramifications of this experiment are, but it sounds intriguing to me.

Surely a particle that is its own antiparticle by definition can't exist?. 1-1 = 0
Though quantum mechanics is something I have almost no grasp of.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Claud
Surely a particle that is its own antiparticle by definition can't exist?. 1-1 = 0
Though quantum mechanics is something I have almost no grasp of.

Claud.
Is it possible that two of these particles are needed for them to annihilate each other? Therefore, individual, isolated particles can go around existing as long as they don't touch another like particle?

I know this || much about particle physics. And it shows
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
More quantum wierdness a few months ago...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017...does-it-tell-us

I don't consider it "negative mass" as advertised, seems more like negative inertia (I think)

The title "a fluid with negative mass" makes me think of a lucrative diet drink opportunity
lol.gif

Yeah, that won't fly, but the know-nothing headlines sure do make it sound real in that sense!

Disclaimer: I may, or may not have created a similarly sensational, but maybe ignorant thread title, to draw clicks and attention to this thread.

The more we find out, the lees we know.
True for weather forecasters and quantum physicists, probably for any field of expertise.

Claud.

"Michael Miles: What is the main food that penguins eat?
Woman: Pork luncheon meat.
Michael Miles: No.
Woman: Spam?
Michael Miles: No, no, no. What do penguins eat? Penguins.
Woman: Penguins?
Michael Miles: Yes.
Woman: I hate penguins.
Michael Miles: No, no, no.
Woman: They eat themselves!"

Originally Posted By: Claud
The more we find out, the lees we know.
True for weather forecasters and quantum physicists, probably for any field of expertise.

Probably!
grin.gif

Any one who tried to catch a cat observed this: the second you catch up with the cat it is already few steps away from you. And this one is the Schroedinger's Cat!

Particles and even fields may not exist in a conventional sense. Most physicists are beginning to understand that "particles" exist in a Quantum Fields" whereby they exist only insofar as the type of measurents that may be developed to "see" them or determine if they actually exist.

"what is Real" Meinard Kuhlman...Scientific American (Winter 2015)

Article in "Physics: New Frontiers" Scientific American. Available on Kindle. Facinating collection of jarticles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back