Toyota Sienna Rental Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
We've got this for ~10 days along with another Chevrolet SUV, which I've already reviewed, so there will be no additional review of that.

This rental appears to have been well used, based on some of the interior damage, unless these parts are incredibly fragile.

- The seats are reasonably comfortable, albeit the materials selection feels cheap. I could see it being well suited for long trips.

- The vehicle is quiet and the engine feels like a reasonable match for the application: it doesn't feel fast, but doesn't make a lot of noise or seem like it is straining during acceleration events, which are without drama. The transmission shifts are unremarkable; you don't even notice them.

- The navigation isn't great, I would put it on-par with GM's offerings, which I'm not overly fond of.

- The climate control is ridiculous. It works well enough for the task, however the rear controls are on the ceiling, which makes zero sense. They are impossible for somebody sitting on the passenger side and awkward for the person on the driver's side.

- The rear window controls are very poorly located, involving a huge reach.

- There's some sort of "rumble seat" in the back that looks like it would fit a 3 yr old
21.gif

- The wide-screen rear TV is a really neat concept, however the housing it is fitted to feels cheap like something that belongs in a base model early 2000's Dodge.

- Panel fitment is decent as is fitment for the inside trim. The sliding door panels however have a lot of flex to them, making them feel cheap. Also, there's a latch mechanism on the driver's-side rear seat that looks incredibly awkward.

Overall, I'm not overly impressed with the vehicle, though I could see how it might fit the "appliance" role well.

It looks like in America they averaged 115,000 units a year for the past five years.

This doesn't count Canadian sales.

Bristling at the interior quality. Toyota's not just been surpassed by Hyundai, they're getting lapped now.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
What rear seat are you referring to? The rear seats of my sienna can fit 2 adults extremely comfortably and has many times....

There is a weird little seat that folds out of the side of the vehicle at the very back.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What rear seat are you referring to? The rear seats of my sienna can fit 2 adults extremely comfortably and has many times....

There is a weird little seat that folds out of the side of the vehicle at the very back.

That's probably the seat that goes between the two seats in the second raw. This way the van can carry 8 people. The rear is where it's stowed, it's not used there.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

That's probably the seat that goes between the two seats in the second raw. This way the van can carry 8 people. The rear is where it's stowed, it's not used there.

Is it really that small? This thing looks TINY!
crazy2.gif
Reminded me of the seats you had in the back of the S10 "crew cab" that folded out from the sides LOL
wink.gif

Is it really that small? This thing looks TINY!
crazy2.gif
Reminded me of the seats you had in the back of the S10 "crew cab" that folded out from the sides LOL
wink.gif

Yup, it's definitely not for long trips, just short ones when you need to carry an 8th passenger. Preferable a child or a young teenager.

Indeed resale value is very proud on them, regardless of condition. We looked at some used ~2015 Siennas and Honda Odysseys back in April all with mileage in the low 30 to mid 40K mileage range. Lots of dings and broken or badly beaten interior bits and fabric. Pricing was still in the low-mid $20K range for basic models of these brands. We actually preferred the comfort, ride, driving experience and layout of our 2016 Nissan Quest better. Plus it was thousands less being a Nissan. Resale is relative IMO. Pay less. Resale is less.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Indeed resale value is very proud on them, regardless of condition. We looked at some used ~2015 Siennas and Honda Odysseys back in April all with mileage in the low 30 to mid 40K mileage range. Lots of dings and broken or badly beaten interior bits and fabric. Pricing was still in the low-mid $20K range for basic models of these brands. We actually preferred the comfort, ride, driving experience and layout of our 2016 Nissan Quest better. Plus it was thousands less being a Nissan. Resale is relative IMO. Pay less. Resale is less.

I would never buy this van. It does nothing for me and for comparable money I could get an X5 or similar SUV with far better interior quality.

Now of course I'm sure this thing is quite reliable and the Toyota brand is what drives its resale on point, however I was not blown away by the "Toyota Quality" of this vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back