Why Quick Oil Changes Suck (per Toyota)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Toyota-affiliated site has put out an article arguing against quick oil changes.
https://parts.olathetoyota.com/blog/1453/why-quick-oil-changes-suck/

Here's a photo that was posted in the article, I really got a kick out of it:

Quote:
These options claim to be fast, easy and cheap. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. You could end up spending extra money on Toyota parts for your vehicle. This is because of the damages caused by these quick oil change places.

Problems can include:

Stripping threads on the drain plug.
Installing the wrong oil filter.

Once I had to deal with a quick oil change center that put a Hyundai oil filter on a family member's Toyota Avalon. The oil filter fell out and the car stalled in the middle of an intersection. When I arrived on the scene you can only imagine my absolute horror to see the filter lying on the engine splash guard, and a big gaping hole where it was supposed to be on the engine block.
The quick lube center denied being at fault and insisted that the car had a non-standard engine. Freaking morons, the car's motor was the original one...

^^^Doesn't surprise me. Even at a real dealer the oil change guy is usually one of the least experienced "pros" there.

All our GM fleet shuts off instantly if oil pressure is lost. Had an idiot employee run right over a landscaping stone and blew a chunk out of a cast aluminum pan. Engine stopped instantly, no internal damage.

Aluminum oil pans present a different problem for many mechanics. Many do not and worse WILL not use a torque wrench on a drain bolt.
I hear it all the time and see it on this board "I have been changing my own oil x number of years and haven't used one yet and never had any problems". It seems to be an affront to their skills as a shade tree warrior.

In reality run into some of these pans that some have weak threads and you will have more than you bargained for on your hands if you over tighten it. There is a reason those long thread drain bolts and it isn't that the manufacturer got a screaming deal on NOS long bolts, which BTW is one reason you don't use shorter magnetic plugs to replace them.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Aluminum oil pans present a different problem for many mechanics. Many do not and worse WILL not use a torque wrench on a drain bolt.
I hear it all the time and see it on this board "I have been changing my own oil x number of years and haven't used one yet and never had any problems". It seems to be an affront to their skills as a shade tree warrior. In reality run into some of these pans that some have weak threads and you will have more than you bargained for on your hands if you over tighten it. There is a reason those long thread drain bolts and it isn't that the manufacturer got a screaming deal on NOS long bolts, which BTW is one reason you don't use shorter magnetic plugs to replace them.

Good post. I cannot understand the disdain for using a torque wrench. What could possibly be wrong with using precision vs a WAG especially for a critical part such as an oil drain plug. Every fastener is a vehicle has torque value for a reason. I have 4 different torque wrenchs and use them for every job.

I'm not sure a quick lube shop saves you ANYTHING over going to a dealer. Both will try to upsell you. Both cost about the same.

The difference is that the dealer should use OEM parts AND have a vested interest in keeping you happy. The surveys can be used as very real leverage. The corporate office wants you to stay loyal. All are advantages of "factory" service.

I used to go to a KwiK oil change place when I was in an apartment and didn't have the tools to do it myself. While I was there a tow truck showed up dragging a car and a POed female owner. Same thing the filter came off. Lucky for her the oil got kicked up on her exhaust and she shut it down before the engine blew. She knew something about cars since she had the filter in hand and showed it was the wrong one for her car.

Oil change place danced around and tried to deflect blame as I walked out.

Bought a cheap floorjack (still have it), jack stands, wheel chocks, catch pan and some wrenches and I've been in the oil business every since.
smile.gif

I might have spent $50 for everything. But I made sure to spin on the proper FRAM filter every time..............until i saw one cut open here...
smile.gif
Still got 180K out of the care before I sold it.

One thing I noticed is the JL and others never change the drain plug gasket just super tighten it.

I tried to change the oil in my daughter's car once and I cracked a cheapo HF impact socket trying to get off the drain plug. The prior change had been at a JL.

But my guess is overall that JL helps to maintain cars that otherwise would get spotty vehicle maintenance due to time constraints of the owner. That just a guess however. Even a JL oil change is better than no oil change.

Last edited:
I hear it all the time and see it on this board "I have been changing my own oil x number of years and haven't used one yet and never had any problems". It seems to be an affront to their skills as a shade tree warrior.

In reality run into some of these pans that some have weak threads and you will have more than you bargained for on your hands if you over tighten it. There is a reason those long thread drain bolts and it isn't that the manufacturer got a screaming deal on NOS long bolts, which BTW is one reason you don't use shorter magnetic plugs to replace them.

Yep, I'm guilty as charged.

Shade tree? I don'neeed no steeenkeeng shayd treee!

The only place that I can think of that damaged my car during an oil change was a Subaru dealer...mangled the drain plug, thanks goodness they did not strip the pan threads.
Since then, I've done it myself!

Perhaps the title should say 'Why Quick Oil Changes Suck..Except Ours'.
56.gif
Though I don't frequent them now, there are several Toyota Dealers using quick lane type oil change services in this area.

As an aside, only failed filter gasket I ever had was from the local Toyota dealer installing Denso filter with P type gasket in their Quik Lane. Had to take it back later because it was dripping oil and get new Denso filter installed. Guy in charge said there was a recall of the filters after I brought it back. Uhh, don't know if that was true.

The pic of dumping of what looks to be used oil into the engine seems a tad hyperbolic to me. Like anything else, I'm sure there are good and bad. DIY preferable, but obviously not practicable for all.

Buying a fast food or doughnut store franchise too expensive? They do involve actual talent.

Open a "Car-Lube" joint. There'll be "No physical work" to do.

You can hire and underpay retarded people (I'm old enough such that 'retarded' is a clinical expression-not a pejorative one).
I'm told there are jurisdictions where tax breaks or cash is given to people who hire early jail release people. Again, nothing against reforming people's lives positively, but approach and attitude plays into a "mechanic's" skill set.

ONCE I employed a Valvoline quick lube place (Paramus, NJ) because I thought they could remove the hideously rounded down drain plug in a used car I bought and I must say, they got it off. I had handed the pit monkey a new plug and he said, "Do you want me to install this?"

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

All our GM fleet shuts off instantly if oil pressure is lost. Had an idiot employee run right over a landscaping stone and blew a chunk out of a cast aluminum pan. Engine stopped instantly, no internal damage.

How does one rig this up?

I'll change the oil on 50-60 cars today.
Techs use torque wrench on DPs and we replace washers on
almost every vehicle with a used "crush washer".
Not perfect but trying.
Learned a lot here about oils, and for that I say thank you.
I do tire with the constant bashing of "Qwik" oil change facilities.
Good Doctor Bad Doctors. There are both.
Gotta go , car on the lot.

well if Toyota says it must be gospel. jk

I feel like everywhere you go there can be cases like this. As mentioned, dealership techs who do oil changes are sometimes not the best either. I feel like the quality is in the technician and not where they work.

Great reason to use a quality oil extractor and one with a see through sight gauge.
I have a few high mileage cars that never have had the drain plug removed. Of course I do own several tw's too
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
A Toyota-affiliated site

Olathe Toyota is a Toyota dealer in Olathe, Kansas. This information does not come from Toyota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back