Mobil 1 0w40 for 2011 Toyota Avalon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm changing the oil in my sister's car, and it was on sale at Walmart. Any reason not to use this oil in this car? She's likely to leave it in there for quite a long time, probably 10k+ miles, so I wanted something that could handle it.

Euro oil is best choice for long drain intervals in pcmo applications, Castrol shouldn't be overlooked if it is an option.

It would only hurt MPG and peak power by around 1% compared to a more suitable long-drain Mobil1 Extended Protection 5w30 or Castrol Edge gold jug/bottle Exten Prot oil. No other differences except the small loss of MPG and peak power.

The best oil filter that can go longer is the Fram Ultra, full synthetic media, silicon ADBV, Fram claims they can go up to 20k miles due to higher dirt holding capacity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
M1 5w-30 ESP with a Fram ultra is what I would run in your situation. The 0w-40 will be fine for 10k

This appears to be a very robust oil in many ways, but it has a low starting TBN and is probably not a good match for the long OCI the OPer is anticipating (at least in a US gasoline application). I only run it for 5kmiles when I use it, suppose I should have run a UOA to check but probably will not be using it anymore.

Not to put words into your mouth, but were you thinking of EP?

I think the M1 0W-40 is a good pick in a long drain situation. That's what I have in my Suburban now and it will be in there for at least 5 years, maybe more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back