messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i was changing the fluid and filter on my truck with a 4l60e. when removing the old filter seal i managed to scratch the inside of the bore on the trans. just like they say not to do.
the damage about half the depth of the new seal. the filter seal is metal where it contacts the trans bore. i put everything back together and everything is working normal.
question is how bad of a screw up is it and is it possibly causing damage to the transmission?
i feel pretty dumb to say the least.

If you are talking about the spot where the filter grommet fits in, I wouldn't worry about it. Fluid isn't going to bypass the filter because of a scratch which is covered by the sleeve. If the filter fits in snugly, I don't bother even changing those sleeves as they can be reused many times.

Last edited:
I've never replaced the filter seal. I tried to the first ATF change but decided against it after my pick kept slipping off and a flat heat didn't work with light taps from a a hammer.

I'd agree that it won't cause any damage.

Not to worry. I change them out without issues, you do have to be careful when you do change them out but like posted above, most probably never change them and everything is fine.

Should be fine.
They can be difficult to remove.
I use a flat head screwdriver and pry them out.
Never had an issue.
Use a same size sockets drive end to tap into place (gently) with a hammer.

The seal receptacle in my vette is all scratched up. It grabs second hard enough to break both tires loose, so I'm thinking the line pressure is still pretty good.

I got smart and quit changing the seal.

lol. We used to use bent screwdrivers to pull them out. I stopped bothering with changing them.

thanks for all the replies. the fords ive worked on just have simple plastic ones. this one is a completely different beast.
im guessing the worst case would be it would suck in air with the oil and damage the pump.
its looking like im worrying more then i need to though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
There needs to be a Public Service Announcement that says......DO NOT change the Suction Filter Seal on a 4L60E except during overhaul!!

Done.

Did it 3 times: First time, last time, never again ...

And since putting in a remote spin on ... won't see that thing too often ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back