SuperTech 5w-20; Ford 4.6L 3v; 4k miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
After many years of owning my S197 4.6l 3V (Mustang GT), I finally got a UOA done by Blackstone Labs. I am very impressed with the results and so were the people over at Blackstone who conducted the analysis. Oil used was Supertech conventional 5w-20 and no additional additives were used in the crankcase such as seafoam or lucas oil stabilizer. It was changed at approximately 4,000-4,100 miles. Car was ran moderately hard during the ~4,000 mile oil interval. Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks OK to me. It's a housebrand 5W20 mineral oil, 8 ppm iron in 4k miles and viscosity still in grade, you could easily spend more and get less.

Use NAPA next time for a UOA that contains the TBN for less than $16.00.

I find it very very odd that the averages they list have the iron and copper almost the same at 18 and 19.

I think the copper is high. I would use the oil weight listed in the owners manual.

Does the engine have an oil cooler?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Those numbers are pretty good but the copper would probably come down with 5W-30.

How so?

A 5W-30 might stay more stable if you spend much time on the "loud pedal".

Good numbers for "Plain ol' oil"...
Try supertech full synthetic on a 7,500 mile run for fun and see if the numbers go down.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Those numbers are pretty good but the copper would probably come down with 5W-30.

No, it wouldn't. The Ford modular V8s use bi-metal bearings that don't include copper.

Copper is not an issue here. People seem to overlook the "universal averages" on these reports and he is a tad below that and that is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back