My transmission makes greenish milky oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stand alone transmissions. Wet clutch
Five speed manual.

Zero material in filter screens.

Two units. One running yamalube 15w50 synthetic. One running rotella 15w40.

When draining either trans, oil comes out the wrong color. Greenish chocolate milk.

Water intrusion is impossible on one unit. Possible on the other.

One unit only sees long drives. One only sees short. One unit is driven by someone who clutches every gear while rev matching. The other is by Simone who only rev matches.

Oil comes out of both units the same odd color.

Performance of transmission changes when oil starts to sheer. Tougher to slot gears in.

Before I pay to semd these off... What in God's name could it be.

Oil was wired color at first change. First change at 50ish miles. Second at 200. Third around 600.

Wired every single time. Longer seems to make milkier oil.

I am in a 95% or greater environment

The water pump normally has two seals, one separates water, the other oil , Id say that's where your issue is.

Happening on two different units of the same type(would be rare), so there must be a common defect.

It has to be some sort of fluid contamination. You said these are separate transmissions - do these have coolant/oil heat exchangers?

Transmssions are isolated self co tained units with zero cooling. One shaft going in. Two shafts coming out.

Thing of it more as a divorced transfer case with a clutch.

Unless coolant were to leak into the engine. Which it isn't. Run down a four foot drive shaft. Penetrate a seal. Then a second seal. And then somehow mixed with the oil, fluid intrusion is impossible.

That's what makes it weird.

Are those lubes what are specified...?

Wondering if the greenish is from yellow metals?

Are they both YXZ1000R Side by Sides?

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
Unless coolant were to leak into the engine. Which it isn't. Run down a four foot drive shaft. Penetrate a seal. Then a second seal. And then somehow mixed with the oil, fluid intrusion is impossible.

Beats me then. You could have an oil analysis done on the green milkshake to see what's in it.

Does the stuff smell like engine oil, or something else?

What's the history behind these? Purchased new (known history), or secondhand?

Both new yxz1000r units.

Fluids both meat specs. One is the manufacturer's fluid of choice.

Oil smells... Like old oil. Not burned. But like a greasy mechanic shop.

Both units are working perfectly. Just an oddity.

Will send the yamalube off in 1000 miles or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back