glass top electric cooktops

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are replacing our countertops. The granite installers want me to have the cooktop on site when they arrive to measure for the new counter.
We have a whirlpool smooth cooktop that is about 20 years old , and has been great.

What are the current reliable cook tops, whirlpool has mixed reviews, all have some bad ones, even LG. I'd rather not buy G.E.

Suggestions?

30 inch width. Black

We've got a GE electric smoothtop cooktop, and it is sloooooow. Like, a saucepan of water takes almost 15 minutes to boil, slow. But, to its credit, it's been reliable. That said, it has scratches and wear marks (to be expected, it's almost 10 years old). (I know you were avoiding GE)

There is not much to go wrong with an electric cooktop. Induction is nice-but you may need to invest in new cooking utensils.

"Induction cookware must be made of a magnetic-based material, such as cast iron or magnetic stainless steel. Fully clad cookware brands, such as All-Clad Stainless, Viking Cookware, and Mauviel M'cooks stainless work on induction cooktops because they're magnetic."

I was told my copper pans would not work on induction too but they do work. I think they a solid copper and I have several brands. Never tried the glass or pyrex on it though.

Personally if I was buying new it would be gas even if I had to run a line. Unless it was electric only house.

We just purchased a Whirlpool convection oven with glass top range, it had great reviews save for the "Aquaclean" (or whatever its called) self cleaning function. Most reviews say that doesn't work. So I guess we will be hand cleaning it, but thats not a deal breaker for me. Reliability is more important. This is the model we purchased, it is scheduled for delivery early August.

Whirlpool Convection 6.4 cubic inch

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Kitchenaid, unless you can get a big discount on a Kenmore.

I did quite a bit of research before purchasing all Whirlpool appliances earlier this month, Kitchenaid wasn't so hot.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
We just purchased a Whirlpool convection oven with glass top range, it had great reviews save for the "Aquaclean" (or whatever its called) self cleaning function. Most reviews say that doesn't work. So I guess we will be hand cleaning it, but thats not a deal breaker for me. Reliability is more important. This is the model we purchased, it is scheduled for delivery early August.

Whirlpool Convection 6.4 cubic inch

Thanks for the info, we will be looking at wall ovens soon too! Seems Whirlpool still has good reviews.

Samsung. We had one in our last house. Loved it. Moved to a new house that had a Kenmore but just replaced it with a new Samsung. A world of difference in how it cooks. Get one.

Glass cooktop is my least favorite. I've found you need to have thick cookware or they warp and dont hit the burner.. esp cheap 8qt pots to boil water in (might have been your 15min boiling issue)

If I was buying new I'd go gas or induction all the way.

Dont get me wrong they are perfectly usable with decent cookwear, but my least preferred.

Had to throw out 2 sets of farberware and kitchenaid.. they were fairly thin and warped badly even on medium.. or on high full of water.

No pot should warp with 3-4" or more of water in it.....
and they have to be pretty much perfectly flat or they rock/dont work efficiently on the glass burners

I have full triple ply or triple ply (bottom only) gear now and it is quite abit more even and less frustrating.

Have you ever seen a cook - I mean a real cook - use electric?

Go gas.

If available.

Last edited:
During recent kitchen remodel, I went with all Bosch appliances, including a Bosch black ceramic induction cooktop. Yes, we had to buy new cookware, but the induction burners are amazingly responsive and powerful.

You're supposed to get a more even heat with a gas burner, but having an open flame inside the house would take some getting used to.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I just bought a home with the dreaded glass cook top. Hate it. Changing to gas ASAP.

Consider trying a different pan if you haven't. We have some anodized aluminum pans and they are much slower than my Lodge cast iron skillet. The range I hated most was a cheap Hotpoint with electric resistance coils. The smooth glass unit is fine, but if I had my druthers I' have gas.

Have had glass cooktops forever. We like them for the easy cleanup.
As for chefs only using gas, well real life gets in the way. Cleaning those heavy grids gets tedious - from feedback of gas burner owners.
We've had Kenmore and Samsung glass tops - both work well.

Cooks like gas. But cleanup of a gas range is more of a pain than glass top electric.

The glass top electric will pit from spilled hot sugar. So making maple syrup or jam can be an issue.

We switched from a GE electric with conventional burners to a Frigidaire electric with a glass cooktop. Looks fine, works fine...although it's a bit of a pain to clean up especially if something spills or spits grease. It has to cool before you can clean it properly, and that takes about 45 minutes. Also, I have learned that cleaning it SHOULD NOT BE NEGLECTED. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back