Negotiating Used Car, Dealership Advice/Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello yall

I'm dead set in getting a 2016 V6 buick lacrosse used.

I have done some e-mail inquiring to 5+ vehicles already, however I have hit a stump in regards to negotiating.
It seems like the used price listed by the dealers I have contacted are pretty stiff, to me.....
Either I'm expecting too much of a discount, dealers are selling cars at this rate and prefer to wait, or I'm just a bad negotiator.
Also don't go in person as many dealers are up to 3 hours away

Note: I have been very clear that I want to buy within a few days and price is the only concern.
Ex
Asking Online Price: $16,750
OTD price given: $17,300
My Counter-Offer: $15,500
2nd OTD Price: Countered $17,300 No less and didn't hear from again

Asking Online Price: $21,750
OTD price given: $22,540
My Counter-Offer: $20,000 OTD
2nd OTD Price: Exact same $22,540 and given a spiel an how low that is (I don't ever believe them)

General Auto Info:
-Regular 4 door sedan
-V6 engine
-Very common vehicle, all are trade-ins or lease vehicle
-Nothing special like engine or brand (Ie bmw)
-Domestic General Motor
-Basic model with Only leather and 6 cylinders
-All have less than 40Kish miles
-exterior color either white, black, or silver

Pretty much these things are Very Common.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments or random info that might help in getting a lower price of course
Would be Greatly appreciated!!!
grin.gif

You're doing it right.
You give a low-ball offer and if the dealer really wants to get the car off the lot they'll come close to a reasonable offer.
This is also how you buy a new car.
Either dealer would make plenty of profit at the prices that you offered them.
Not all dealers will take email offers seriously and will therefore not offer a realistic price while some will.
It sounds like you found a couple who think that you're just using them to get an offer you can beat a local dealer over the head with so they aren't offering you honest pricing.

We added $5,000 to what we paid at auction or for a trade. Granted that was several years ago, but I bet the numbers aren't that far off. I bet they paid about $17K for that car, including getting it ready for the line. I'd work from there. Your offer was generous, I would have offered less.

You're not doing it right.

Take the lowest offer you currently have from a dealer. Screenshot it. Email it to the other dealers. Ask how they will earn your business. One of them will price match and offer something.

From there, email the original dealer a cut out of their offers. Explain he will have to do better than that to earn your business. Do this a few times.

Work them against each other.

Dealerships hate to lose deals.

Widen your search, don't be set on a particular color, year, option package.

The only power you have is the mental power to be cold and calculating and walk away empty handed without being disappointed.

The dealer is counting on you to be emotional about your purchase, whether it's because you love the car, or just NEED a car right away, or whatever.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
The only power you have is the mental power to be cold and calculating and walk away with your hard earned money
I changed it a bit.

#1 Rule do not get attached to a/the car

#2 Don't be afraid to walk away

#3 Find a car you like don't show to much interest in it.

#4 Try out multiple vehicles, don't give them any idea what you're really interested in.

#5 If you find one you like leave (your opinion may change afterwords don't get caught up in the moment).

#6 Call them 3-7 days later ask for the person who showed you around. Ask for more info on a few cars including the one you like.

#7 Drive by and offer them a low yet resemble offer. Cash is king really so in cash purchase can go a long way. Even a large down payment can help.

If no luck wait a few days go back and make a slight counter offer. Their not stupid their goal is to get the most they can for the car and they know you want the best deal possible. They tend to not try and push their hand if you have waited a little time.

They know they are not the only seller in town and if need be throw them one finally offer and let them know otherwise you are going to go to -random car lot- or a larger town close by.

Just don't get fixated on a single vehicle and try to at least find 2-3 dealerships with something you're interested in. They know the game and they know no sale is final until you have signed your name so it doesn't hurt to show some interest in a vehicle even if you find one elsewhere you like more.

Go in there in person in a few days, leave your phone number and contact info. Try to ride it out until the 31st of the month when it's sales quota time. They'll either call you back or not. But I do believe in showing up in person.

Wait for a week and see if the car is still there, then they will be more than happy to reduce the price.

TX 1821, Where in the Hank Hill are you? Arlen was a fictional town.
End of the month is coming and dealers are a bit more willing to clear things out. The first two quarters of the year were bad for car sales and it does not look any better for the third quarter. Harley is slaying off around 200 workers.
When I get back to Mission I will be looking for something

Originally Posted By: TX_1821
Note: I have been very clear that I want to buy within a few days and price is the only concern.

Not sure I like the "few days" part. Looks a little anxious and prob less willing to negotiate.

The fact that you've never been there in person probably hurts your chances. They may think you're just an online tire kicker. I'm not suggesting you make the trek, as it's a long way away.

I've done negotiations by email, but it's after I've been there. At that point they've met me and know I'm serious.

You have to mix the "I'm pretty serious about buying if you are" with the "I can wait if you stonewall me".

most dealers dont take email or phone calls seriously. actually, I'm not sure they take live people seriously either...
you have to get them to invest some serious time into you. test drive a few cars. take a couple hours of their time. then lowball. then act insulted.

I usually take the tact that they are the ones with a lot full of cars, and I am the one with the money they need and desire.
We can do business if you meet my requirements. It is incumbent upon you to please me, not vice versa.
There is a car lot on many corners. I'll keep going until I find someone who is serious.
I come well prepared, do my homework and have my means of payment sorted out before coming, unless there is favorable factory financing on a new car.
I have never had an issue finding a car I like at a price I want to pay.
However, I never fall in love with a car and never allow myself to get painted in a corner.
This philosophy has served me well for the 21 new and used cars I have purchased in my lifetime.

Just remember it's your hard earned money,they don't like your offer too bad.If you are not completely comfortable with the deal,either walk or at least sleep on it.If the salesman feigns anger,just ignore it.Its your money and a substantial bit of money.You may have to make an appearance.Don't let them make you feel guilty.Have fun with it,you are in control.

I never deal one on one with a used car salesman.

Everything goes through the internet sales department and I have an offer on the table before I even start, and my trade is valued before they even see it.

Sedan sales are down 20% or more for the year, crossovers are hot cakes. Just remember to remind them they may be sitting on the car for a while, but you can help them move it.

I bought my first new car in 22 years because the incentives were great.

I recently found a newer grand marquis with less than 10,000 miles on it. on Saturday it advertised for $8,500. When Monday came price listed went to $10,000. I told them I would pay cash $8,500 for the car. They acted like they could not do it. I told them check with your manager and I will pay cash if it is $8,500 but not interested for the $10k. The next Saturday they called me back and said they could do the deal. Told them I would pay cash and come pick it up the following Saturday as I was 8 hours away. They told me they could only hold it for one day. I said that will be a deal killer then and they would not budge. I told them call me back on Thursday and let me know if they are interested so I could arrange a one way rental. They called back Saturday morning and asked when I would be there. I reiterated I need time and planning not same day notice and said they weren't going to work with me so unless they wanted to hold it until I could get up there we would not be able to deal. Needless to say 2 months later and they are still sitting on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back