Motul 300v 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not familiar with Motul (at all), but I have a buddy of mine who is moving and doesn't want to take a lot of his oil with him so he offered to sell his stash of Motul 300V for 50 bucks (roughly 15 quarts). Now, I know this is their racing, high-rev/short OCI oil, but would you run this in your daily driver?

Originally Posted By: JustN89
I'm not familiar with Motul (at all), but I have a buddy of mine who is moving and doesn't want to take a lot of his oil with him so he offered to sell his stash of Motul 300V for 50 bucks (roughly 15 quarts). Now, I know this is their racing, high-rev/short OCI oil, but would you run this in your daily driver?

It's a race oil. Only if I had a racecar that got oil changes every weekend.

That is what I used in my Honda racecar. Was about $35-40 per 2L can.

Or you could flip it for a profit.

Last edited:
You can absolutely use it in a street car without problems. It is API certified and has a decent TBN. I have run it for 5k+ in a variety of different street cars over the years. This is NOT a true zero-detergent race oil like the Red Line race oil, it's more of a streetable race oil.

If he doesn't want it, I'll happily buy it for the $50 + shipping.

Originally Posted By: dparm
You can absolutely use it in a street car without problems. It is API certified and has a decent TBN. I have run it for 5k+ in a variety of different street cars over the years. This is NOT a true zero-detergent race oil like the Red Line race oil, it's more of a streetable race oil.

No mention of any kind of ratings? This this the oil you are talking about?

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/300v-power-racing-5w30--2

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

No mention of any kind of ratings? This this the oil you are talking about?

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/300v-power-racing-5w30--2

Yes. Click the link for the technical data sheet. Odd that it doesn't say API SM -- previous versions of that datasheet had it. Their tech support has said it's fine for street cars.

TBN of almost 8.0 should be fine for most medium-length change intervals.

Dude, take it! As other's have said, it's nearly $40 for a single bottle (2 liters).

It isn't API certified but like the OP said, it has a TBN of 8 or so and plenty of people use it for the street. Look at it as a Redline type product (or better), plenty of people use that stuff while not having any OEM or API endorsements/approvals. I personally run the 5w40 in my street car and change it once a year with no issues.

Last edited:
Take it. That's a [censored] of a deal. It's a more race-inspired oil, but still has detergents for cleaning. Can easily run it to 5-8k.

Yes. Click the link for the technical data sheet. Odd that it doesn't say API SM -- previous versions of that datasheet had it. Their tech support has said it's fine for street cars.

TBN of almost 8.0 should be fine for most medium-length change intervals.

Neat. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
BTW for anyone in doubt of its ability to work in a street car, I have several UOAs from my Audi S4 showing that it worked.

In fact, if my Corvette weren't getting free oil changes from the dealer, I would consider running it.

I took him up on it. Probably won't run it in my Elantra due to it not having API SN specs (trying to stay within warranty) but I maintain my family and my in-laws vehicles which will get a dose of it. Thanks for the advice!

Jeez, missed out ...
frown.gif
I would have offered $51 and paid the shipping
laugh.gif

One of the best oils in the world. In the same viscosity range, it is equal to, or better than Red Line - and that's saying something.

You dun gude
thumbsup2.gif

Get the Motul.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2596730
and noticed it doesn't have so much ZDDP that it would foul catalysts. Actually a low-ish amount of ZDDP, especially since most other racing oils I've seen have boatloads of ZDDP.
Big dose of moly, nice.
Decent detergent levels.
We assume they have a good anti-oxidant package, but it does tend to hold up in street service over time, so probably fine.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Get the Motul.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2596730
and noticed it doesn't have so much ZDDP that it would foul catalysts. Actually a low-ish amount of ZDDP, especially since most other racing oils I've seen have boatloads of ZDDP.
Big dose of moly, nice.
Decent detergent levels.
We assume they have a good anti-oxidant package, but it does tend to hold up in street service over time, so probably fine.

It doesn't have the crazy ZDDP levels because it's not an old-school race-only oil for flat-tappet motors. It's just a very stout street oil that's targeted for performance applications, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back