04 Lexus ES330 PYB SAE 30 5,515 miles w/TBN/TAN/PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
As promised here's the UOA on my 2004 Lexus ES330 running Pennzoil Yellow Bottle SAE 30 for 5,515 miles for about 3 months. Filter used was one of the Rock Auto Ultra Power Toyota copy filter that's been cut and discussed here in virgin and used form. I was a bit surprised by the particle count data for this run compared to the previously run Fram Ultra.

I've included the previous UOA for the comments and PC data as well.

Why bother dealing with PYB oil and do more oil changes every three months.

Make your life simple by going with PUP for 12,500 miles OCI.
Change the PUP oil, Fram Ultra, and the air filter, all at once.

Originally Posted By: camryrolla
Why bother dealing with PYB oil and do more oil changes every three months. Make your life simple ...

Camryrolla = You probably haven't been following this "saga" (which it really isn't, LOL)

This was an experiment - one I'd say turned out perfectly fine.

What's HILARIOUS to me is "aluminum went up" he says.... from 2 ppm to 3 ppm, LOL!!!!!

I think it's safe to say that's within a possible range of error in the test.

Essentially,
with 2-3 ppm alum,
and w/ 2-3 ppm iron (averaged) -
you are "essentially" experiencing ZERO wear.

Originally Posted By: camryrolla
Why bother dealing with PYB oil and do more oil changes every three months.

Make your life simple by going with PUP for 12,500 miles OCI.
Change the PUP oil, Fram Ultra, and the air filter, all at once.

I have over 200 quarts of oil that I got DIRT cheap, the PYB I got for 25 cents per quart. These filters I got for $1.41 ea. The oil performed well for the intended usage and interval. Furthermore, why would I change the air filter every 12.5k? The current air filter has been in place since 130,000 miles and is working well. PUP is not only hard to find, but expensive. I rolled back to a 5k OCI while I'm using up random oils from the clearance stash I have going. I'll run the higher end oils in my stash out to 10k, but for now 5k on random oils is working for me. I also enjoy getting under the car every 5k and it lines up with my tire rotations and brake inspections.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
What's HILARIOUS to me is "aluminum went up" he says.... from 2 ppm to 3 ppm, LOL!!!!!

I think it's safe to say that's within a possible range of error in the test.

Essentially,
with 2-3 ppm alum,
and w/ 2-3 ppm iron (averaged) -
you are "essentially" experiencing ZERO wear.

I'm pleased with the performance of this engine in terms of low wear metal production. The PYB 30 I don't think I'd want to run out to 10K, there is reserve TBN but considering the TAN number at 5k compared to the PUP at 10k I'm not sure if the PYB would've made it. Perhaps I'll try next summer, but probably not considering the size of my stash.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Wow pyb 30 rocks

Yep, it seems to work just as well as any other oil in that engine.

Which pretty much goes to show that within reason (proper grade, required certifications) the choice of oil is irrelevant in terms of generating a consistent Blackstone UOA.

Oil and filter change, for less than 3 bucks! I'm nominating you for the 'FRUGALBITOGER' OTY award!
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Where did you find the PYB SAE 30 for 25 cents/qt.? That's the (FAR-free) steal of the century!

I think he said he got it on a clearance sale

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Where did you find the PYB SAE 30 for 25 cents/qt.? That's the (FAR-free) steal of the century!

I think he said he got it on a clearance sale

Think he told me in a PM he got that at K Mart and other stores

Looks good.
You were correct in postulating that an SAE 30 would work just fine in constant warm weather conditions.
Particle counts actually look better with the [censored] oil filter and the PYB than they did with PUP and an Ultra.
Go figure?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Looks good.
You were correct in postulating that an SAE 30 would work just fine in constant warm weather conditions.
Particle counts actually look better with the [censored] oil filter and the PYB than they did with PUP and an Ultra.
Go figure?

I was really really surprised with the PC data. To sure what to make of that. Otherwise the SAE 30 performed very well in a reasonable oil change interval. I still have 5 quarts in use in my 4Runner, VWB also purchased on clearance in that one.

Lexus currently has Valvoline SynPower 20w50 in it with another of the same filter used here, VSP was also end of year clearance oil at a staggering $2/qt, will run through the peak summer heat for another 5k and dump for something thinner as the weather cools off.

A good portion of it came from several Advance Auto Parts stores at clearance prices. I still have about 20 quarts left of the PYB SAE 30.

Next fill will likely be either M1 ESP 0w30 or QS Defy high zinc (old formula) 5w20.

Are these filters spin-on or cartridge type? The PC data doesn't make sense.

Here's a UOA with a Fram TG (also 99% @ 20 microns), and the oil after 5000 miles in a bike (with shared transmission, ie gear and clutch wear going on) was much cleaner than the new oil from the bottle.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4107645/Honda_NC700X_Red_Line_10W30

I'm wondering how consistent and accurate these Blackstone particle counts are. Also, in your 2 PCs, one was ran twice as long so not sure if duration of run might have a bearing on the final PC.

So much for the high wear with fresh oil theory.
I expected the metals to spike with the 1st round of a new oil type and formulation, then go down on the 2nd or 3rd oil change.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Wow pyb 30 rocks

Yep, it seems to work just as well as any other oil in that engine.

Which pretty much goes to show that within reason (proper grade, required certifications) the choice of oil is irrelevant in terms of generating a consistent Blackstone UOA.

No one can argue with that well crafted logic.
Peace
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back