High Mileage Ford Fiesta...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Not sure if a repost, but amazing to say the least.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/really-long-haulin-what-its-like-to-drive-200000-miles-per-year/

I could never achieve that level of mileage in a year. That's just bonkers
I'm really amazed at the overall reliability of the little 1.6 engine.

Go back and find the "insane" amount of PM/repairs that the courier did over the life of the vehicle. Mileage, especially high mileage is linked to willingness to repair over anything. Also, these long-highways miles are a lot easier on vehicles. My fleet likely mirrors his total hours but with all urban miles has a lot harder maintenance/repair list. Some of my fleet that only averages 12mph in a service hour go through tires in 18K miles. If he is doing 200,000 miles a year, or 100,000 per set of tires and is averaging say 10 hours per workday over a year (I average 14.5 hours split between 3 driver shifts) (260 work days in a year * 10 hours) thus averages 76.92mph (likely he is working more hours/days so his speeds are slower but that is his decision... as well as personal miles but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt with higher speeds out west). He is getting about 1300 service hours of of a tire. My 18K mile replacement is every 1500 hours. About the same.

Many would be "trade it in before it blows up" types of repairs:
Its clutch packs were replaced twice, at 347,000 and 545,000 miles. (Actually, the second time, it proved much quicker and no more expensive to go ahead and replace the entire transmission with a nearly new, Other repairs included the main computer, fuel pump (it was making noises, Mike didn’t wait for it to fail), throttle-body motor, starter, alternator, coolant-recovery tank, radiator cooling fan, HVAC blower motor, body-control module, and the A/C compressor (“it was getting a little noisy”). The horn also was replaced, with a four-note unit from a 1971 Cadillac.
Every year it got: 26 oil changes and tire rotations 2 sets of tires 1 set of struts and shocks. Timing belt and water pump (really every 9 months, Mike got the job down to four hours)

He should have bought a car that had a timing chain, not belt. Changing that every 9 months sounds horrible.

There is a 2006 Honda Civic on the 8th gen forum with like 1.2 million miles!

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Driving 16 hours a day, when did he find time to do the repairs?

Easy, he only drove 6 days a week one year.
Still leaves that seventh day for resting and repairs
crazy.gif

He claimed that he can get over 100K miles per set of Pirelli P4 tires on a Fiesta doing all highway miles. Can anyone on BITOG have similar experience with getting this many mileage out of the P4 tires?

Originally Posted By: camryrolla
He claimed that he can get over 100K miles per set of Pirelli P4 tires on a Fiesta doing all highway miles. Can anyone on BITOG have similar experience with getting this many mileage out of the P4 tires?

They have a treadwear rating of 760, so that is plausible.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
...i wonder what oil and filter he was running it on?
It really doesn't matter todays name brand oils are all that good

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
He should have bought a car that had a timing chain, not belt. Changing that every 9 months sounds horrible.

There is a 2006 Honda Civic on the 8th gen forum with like 1.2 million miles!

I was on the 8th Gen Civic too before I bought my Subaru in 2012. That guy also delivered medical supplies but nothing in his car was original by the time it reached 740,000 miles. His car is a mess inside and out and he keeps fixing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back